• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My new line-up ( gotta try SOMETHING )

Definitely a fan of starting Hudson. He has played 25+ minutes in 7 out of 18 games this year.

In those 7 he has the following per 40 minute averages: 17 points, 7 rebounds, 38% 3-PT shooting

In the 11 where he has played less than 25 minutes: 9.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 13% 3-PT shooting

Keep in mind that those are minutes adjusted averages. He's clearly the type of player that needs a lot of run to get things going. His defense is still suspect but so is the rest of the team's so why not.

He needs a lot of run to get it going AND some guys respond well to starting.

He needs a lot of run to get it going AND some guys respond well to starting.

Yeah and Hudson seems like one of those guys. When he plays confident he can be a dangerous weapon. I think with a guy like Hudson its a tough line for a coach to walk between instilling some discipline and breeding some confidence. I hope Manning and Hudson can grow in both areas over the rest of the season and into next year.

I cannot believe there are people out there that think benching Devin Thomas would actually help the team.

Once again, if he finishes with 16 PPG and 10 RPG (he's at 9.9 now), he would be the 9th ACC player in 20 years to do so.

LET'S BENCH HIM!!!

I cannot believe there are people out there that think benching Devin Thomas would actually help the team.

Once again, if he finishes with 16 PPG and 10 RPG (he's at 9.9 now), he would be the 9th ACC player in 20 years to do so.

LET'S BENCH HIM!!!

We should be very concerned about who will provide his production next season.

Bench him, really?

LET'S BENCH HIM!!!

Starting him isn't doing anything for the team if you think wins matter. I'm much more interested in having the freshmen develop than trying to squeeze a meaningless win or two out of the remaining part of this season. And as good as Devin's points and rebound totals are, he's not a winning player. He just isn't. He misses key free throws, lets his emotions with referees lead to suspect calls against Wake and really isn't much of a leader. His quote about being a top 15 team this year (have we won since) was typical. Shut up and play is a little harsh, but pretty much appropriate.

I think Devin and Cody hold the record for having the lowest winning percentage at Wake Forest this century.

Carolina changed their starting line up tonight against BC. When ask at the post game presser coach said they had lost two games in a row and the kids had to understand they had to play better. He said you have to try something. I just found his comments interesting.

Carolina changed their starting line up tonight against BC. When ask at the post game presser coach said they had lost two games in a row and the kids had to understand they had to play better. He said you have to try something. I just found his comments interesting.

and they almost lost to one of the worst teams in Power 5 history. Good recommendation.

Starting him isn't doing anything for the team if you think wins matter. I'm much more interested in having the freshmen develop than trying to squeeze a meaningless win or two out of the remaining part of this season. And as good as Devin's points and rebound totals are, he's not a winning player. He just isn't. He misses key free throws, lets his emotions with referees lead to suspect calls against Wake and really isn't much of a leader. His quote about being a top 15 team this year (have we won since) was typical. Shut up and play is a little harsh, but pretty much appropriate.

It's beyond comical that you think Devin is the problem with this team.

What does "he's not a winning player" even mean? It's just bullshit speak that doesn't mean anything.

Just reviewed all the box scores before CMM returned and like many of you, found both Hudson & Collins played well as well as Wilbekin. I now agree - for whatever reason(s) - that the minutes/playing time and team chemistry got gummed-up when CMM returned. So IMO.....

WHO'S IN - Hudson & Collins

WHO'S OUT - CMM & The Greek

F Hudson
F Collins
C Thomas
G Wilbekin
G Crawford

:wtf::couch:

Please

Through 11 games, Wilbekin is averaging about half the points he did in ACC play last year. He only had 2 scoreless games as a freshman - he has 5 already as a sophomore. He's worse in every single category except free throw percentage. He's shooting under 28% from deep in ACC play.

He's definitely worse, and lately he's been significantly worse. With Codi/Hudson throwing up bricks at the 3 and Dinos riding the bench for extended minutes due to defensive lapses and foul trouble, having a dependable shooter at the 2 spot is absolutely critical to this team.
Who are we going to play in MW's place? Rondale?

I suggest that we go big and hammer the ball inside. My experiment would be:

DT
Collins
Dinos
Hudson
Crawford

I would play a 1-3-1 zone with Dinos up top and Devin down low.

Since we can't hit 3s, crash the boards.
Fine with this

I'm in for benching Devin and CMM at this point. Fuck them both. They had their shots. Manning is gonna sink or swim with the kids, not the shitty Bzz leftovers, so let them get as many minutes together as possible.

Crawford
Hudson
Dinos
Collins
Moore
Could live with this too

It's beyond comical that you think Devin is the problem with this team.

What does "he's not a winning player" even mean? It's just bullshit speak that doesn't mean anything.

First of all, I didn't say he's the problem with the team - things go much deeper. So you don't know what a winning player is - someone who is clutch, who makes others around him better, who leads, who puts team ahead of himself., who doesn't let his emotions (which is being selfish) hurt the team's chances. Talent and stats do not equate to being a winning player.

That wasn't my point though. I would still give a lot of minutes to him, but my main focus would be developing the freshmen. Go back and read my posts. If you disagree with that and think we should continue to try to squeeze out a meaningless win down the stretch, that's ok.

and they almost lost to one of the worst teams in Power 5 history. Good recommendation.

You are correct. They almost lost but they didn't. They won. At the beginning of the season we almost lost some games but we won. Then we changed the line up and we almost won but we lost. Now we are not even in the game. So I guess we should just leave everything the same. Hey, maybe we will start winning and then we can change things around. Worked well the last time. Now you better hurry on off to class. You're going to be late.

First of all, I didn't say he's the problem with the team - things go much deeper. So you don't know what a winning player is - someone who is clutch, who makes others around him better, who leads, who puts team ahead of himself., who doesn't let his emotions (which is being selfish) hurt the team's chances. Talent and stats do not equate to being a winning player.

That wasn't my point though. I would still give a lot of minutes to him, but my main focus would be developing the freshmen. Go back and read my posts. If you disagree with that and think we should continue to try to squeeze out a meaningless win down the stretch, that's ok.

There's no such thing as "clutch", but I will yield the other points.

I think we should continue to try to win as many games this year as possible while continuing to develop the younger players at a slightly heavier weighted percentage. Devin gives us the best chance to do that, end of story.

There's no such thing as "clutch", but I will yield the other points.

I think we should continue to try to win as many games this year as possible while continuing to develop the younger players at a slightly heavier weighted percentage. Devin gives us the best chance to do that, end of story.

I still don't get why people make this argument. Some people perform better under pressure relative to their normal performance than others. That's clutch. If there is no such thing as "clutch" then there is no such thing as "choking" either.

Back