• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My new line-up ( gotta try SOMETHING )

I don't think he needs to make a huge adjustment in lineup, but sitting Wilbekin to start Hudson seems obvious at this point. Crab brings more height, athleticism, and the ability to score inside the 3 pt line. Wilbekin doesn't provide any of that & can be a spark off the bench if he can supply his 1 or 2 three point shots.
Although as a betting man, Coach seems like he is content w/ the lineup he uses & probably won't change anything.

I cannot believe there are people out there that think benching Devin Thomas would actually help the team.

Once again, if he finishes with 16 PPG and 10 RPG (he's at 9.9 now), he would be the 9th ACC player in 20 years to do so.

LET'S BENCH HIM!!!

The point is that this is another lost season. He isn't going to be here next season, so time to move on to the guys who will help us then. What do you think will help the team succeed more next season, having Moore, Collins and Crawford play major minutes the rest of the way out, or have them sit on the bench and watch Devin and Cody brick free throws for another month?

We've seen what our team looks like with Devin and CMM playing lots of minutes, its not great.

I wish tanking was somehow beneficial in college sports, we'd be set for years

Taking away Devin's starting spot has to be in the upper echelon of dumbest things ever posted on these boards.

The point is that this is another lost season. He isn't going to be here next season, so time to move on to the guys who will help us then. What do you think will help the team succeed more next season, having Moore, Collins and Crawford play major minutes the rest of the way out, or have them sit on the bench and watch Devin and Cody brick free throws for another month?

We've seen what our team looks like with Devin and CMM playing lots of minutes, its not great.

I think Manning is developing them at the pace he wants to develop them. Throwing them in there, having them foul out in 15-20 minutes, be overwhelmed, and continuing to lose confidence isn't going to help them at all.

Manning here is to win games this year and the future. He has to balance that. Benching Devin certainly doesn't do that for the first part, and I would argue it doesn't help all that much for the second part either.

Starting him isn't doing anything for the team if you think wins matter. I'm much more interested in having the freshmen develop than trying to squeeze a meaningless win or two out of the remaining part of this season. And as good as Devin's points and rebound totals are, he's not a winning player. He just isn't. He misses key free throws, lets his emotions with referees lead to suspect calls against Wake and really isn't much of a leader. His quote about being a top 15 team this year (have we won since) was typical. Shut up and play is a little harsh, but pretty much appropriate.

So totally agree with EagleDeac here. Developing the freshmen is far more important at this point in what has become a friggin' trainwreck of a season. While I appreciate Devin's effort, he is one guy I simply will not miss. The bricked FT's, the scowls, the lame muscle flexes, the yapping after scoring a few buckets in succession ("Y'all can't stop me!"), etc. Enough already. Just want to turn the page.

I cannot get over the fact of how underrated Devin Thomas is to the Wake fan base.

Who gives a FLYING FUCK if he yells "y'all can't stop me" after he scores "a few baskets"? I want guys like that. Randolph was like that. CP3 was like that. Jeff Teague was like that. James Johnson was like that. Bryant Crawford seems to be like that (hell he grabbed his nuts in the Louisville game this year and pointed them at the crowd while yelling profanity after he hit a 3).

Once again, free throws are a god damn skill. The "scowls" are part of his basketball demeanor, as are the muscle flexes. You can dislike that, but you wouldn't have a problem at all if the team was winning, and let's face it, Devin's 16 and 10 aren't the reason Wake has a losing record this season.

The things which have improved are interior passing and spacing. I would like to see our young big guys learn how to set low post picks for each other. I was impressed that when DT and DM played together the opposition was forced to play Devin more straight up and he got some easy shots.

This happens a lot with JC on the court with DT too

This

Taking away Devin's starting spot has to be in the upper echelon of dumbest things ever posted on these boards.

He's put up great stats on truly terrible teams. I don't expect it to happen, and I'm not saying bench him completely, but its not crazy or dumb to look to the future, especially when we have the best class on paper as rising sophmores losing minutes to guys who will (hopefully) be remembered (along with McKie) as the best players in the worst era of Wake BBall history.

HOF coaches have pulled starting spots from players waaaaaay better than Devin and Codi as motivational messages.

ETA: and for the record, as to Devin, IDGAF about the bravado, as long as it stops short of a T. 3.5 season and still can't hit 50% from the line, and can't pass out of a double team to save his life are the much bigger gripes for me.

Let the team run through Bryant, stick Doral and JC down low, they have more complimentary skill sets anyway.

Last edited:
He's put up great stats on truly terrible teams. I don't expect it to happen, and I'm not saying bench him completely, but its not crazy or dumb to look to the future, especially when we have the best class on paper as rising sophmores losing minutes to guys who will (hopefully) be remembered (along with McKie) as the best players in the worst era of Wake BBall history.

HOF coaches have pulled starting spots from players waaaaaay better than Devin and Codi as motivational messages.

ETA: and for the record, as to Devin, IDGAF about the bravado, as long as it stops short of a T. 3.5 season and still can't hit 50% from the line, and can't pass out of a double team to save his life are the much bigger gripes for me.

Let the team run through Bryant, stick Doral and JC down low, they have more complimentary skill sets anyway.

He shoots like 58% but point taken.

Thoroughly disagree with you on his passing out of a double-team. He's one of the best passers out of a double-team in the ACC.

Well, he has 63 turnovers this year.

That makes him 4th in the ACC in turnovers this year, and tied for 138th in the country. And if you go down the national list, you can really only find 2-3 other players who play full time PF/C with more than him. The point being that a big man should not come close to sniffing that many turnovers. Ever.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/stats/playersort/ACC/ASTTO/ALL/regularseason/yearly

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/stats/leaders/NCAAB/TO/regularseason/yearly

Even more depressing, Bryant leads the ACC in turnovers and is tied for 21st nationally with 79.

So we have the #1 and #5 turnover monsters in the conference. One is a freshman guard though, and the other is a senior big man who should know better.

Granted those stats don't show which TOs are from double teams, but it is definitely a lot, although he also gets a few from those sweet coast to coast drives.

You certainly can't say he takes care of the ball.

Last edited:
So, what are the odds of a new starting lineup against NCSU and Collins / Moore playing significantly more?

Originally Posted by DCDeac

Originally Posted by Deacsfan27
I cannot believe there are people out there that think benching Devin Thomas would actually help the team.

Once again, if he finishes with 16 PPG and 10 RPG (he's at 9.9 now), he would be the 9th ACC player in 20 years to do so.

LET'S BENCH HIM!!!

The suspension was the best thing that could happen for this team.

Back