• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name as many Wake season-opening QBs as you can

I was there for Bob and he told the old "why don't Baptists have sex standing up?" joke. (Because they don't want people to think they are dancing)

He talked about hanging out with Arnie all day too. The '81 game, Scofield kept hitting Denfeld over the middle. I think he had 504 yards, but the next week Jim McMahon passed him, out at BYU.

Last edited:
Wake Forest - Auburn, the famous "never never never never never give up" halftime speech by Mackovic where we rallied from down 38-21 I believe to win 42-38. LSU had Charlie McClendon retiring and there was just never a chance in that game but boy was that a fun bowl game to go to. Fresh squeezed orange juice in the screw drivers.

It was 38-20 at halftime.
My voice is still hoarse from yelling so much during our second half comeback.
The great thing was, even though we were down by 18, we KNEW we were going to win.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072409aac.html

No. That was in 1983 when Wake was celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the school. They had Bob Hope after one game, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders at another, fireworks at another and the 4 Tops and Temptations after the Maryland game.

Yep- my frosh year. Better post game entertainment than the games themselves.

Yeah, we were just happy to be there after not going to a bowl for what almost 3 decades?

Above quote is a reference to the Tangerine Bowl vs. LSU in 1979. This is true. I was in the band (I know, I know) and going down to Orlando was a blast. The school actually put us up in a nice hotel, we did a parade down Main Street at Disney World, and played at about 6 or 7 Wake parties for alumni and the like. We of course sucked compared to the amazing LSU band but we didn't give a flying fuck.

Arnie spoke at one of the alumni parties and I was standing about 5 feet away from him and got to shake his hand afterward. Big thrill for an 18-year old, I'll tell you. The rules were pretty lax back then (and the drinking age was 18) so we got bought lots of drinks by rich or drunk (or both) alumni, which was nice for a kid that didn't have two nickels to rub together. There was also a good amount of after-hours "activity" which was pretty uncommon for 1979-era Wake Forest. Everyone's attitude was pretty much "What the hell, let's go for it, it hasn't happened in 30 years and it might be another 30 before the next time." Anyway, good times.

Bill Armstrong
Jerry McManus
Mike McGlamery
Cory Randolph
Rusty LaRue
Jamie Harris
Brett Offenbecker
Mike Elkin
Riley Skinner
Tanner Price
John Wolford
Ted Skachitas