• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name as many Wake season-opening QBs as you can

He could sling it and we were decent on offense, but couldn't stop anybody.

Schofield had an arm. I remember the Maryland game in 1981. He threw for a then NCAA record number of yards (450?) but we still lost.

Schofield had an arm. I remember the Maryland game in 1981. He threw for a then NCAA record number of yards (450?) but we still lost.

Boomer Esiason was MD's QB. Future Brave Tommy Gregg had a massive game as receiver and kick returner for WF against MD that day.

Wow 4 games by a total of 7 points. 79 was fun. That amazing comeback vs Auburn (I was there) was awesome. Coach Mackovic's short half-time speech made Sports Illustrated which was cool to see. I went to the Tangerine Bowl which was fun except we played a very good LSU team. Game was never close.

Wake Forest - Auburn, the famous "never never never never never give up" halftime speech by Mackovic where we rallied from down 38-21 I believe to win 42-38. LSU had Charlie McClendon retiring and there was just never a chance in that game but boy was that a fun bowl game to go to. Fresh squeezed orange juice in the screw drivers.

Wake Forest - Auburn, the famous "never never never never never give up" halftime speech by Mackovic where we rallied from down 38-21 I believe to win 42-38. LSU had Charlie McClendon retiring and there was just never a chance in that game but boy was that a fun bowl game to go to. Fresh squeezed orange juice in the screw drivers.

Yes, a fun time to be a Deacon. Remember the fans throwing oranges and tangerines on the field after TD!s during the last two home games of the regular season?

2001 we used the Carolina Blue/White team substitution with our O-line. We were that deep.

We were very deep on the O-line and wore opposing defenses down, haven't come close to being that deep up front since Grobe's first 2 years.

Was that the Maryland game that the 4 Tops played afterward?

No. That was in 1983 when Wake was celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the school. They had Bob Hope after one game, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders at another, fireworks at another and the 4 Tops and Temptations after the Maryland game.

No. That was in 1983 when Wake was celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the school. They had Bob Hope after one game, the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders at another, fireworks at another and the 4 Tops and Temptations after the Maryland game.

Wake Forest football, talk about easy material for Bob Hope.

May be entirely wrong on this, but wasn't All-American punter Chuck Ramsey was also a QB, and may have gotten an early start in his first or 2nd season?
And bat signal to BKF to recount the brief career of Karl Sweetan.

Not wrong. Also PK.

Last edited:
AY started the ECU game in 2001. 100% sure.

1973 Wake Forest 1 9 1 .136
1974 Wake Forest 1 10 0 .091
1975 Wake Forest 3 8 0 .273
1976 Wake Forest 5 6 0 .455
1977 Wake Forest 1 10 0 .091

I think it was the "old stadium" part that he didn't understand.

Back