• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name as many Wake season-opening QBs as you can

Wasn't Anthony Young the starter at the beginning of the year when Grobe first got here?

He was expected to be, but wasn't I think. Didn't MacPherson get the start against ECU?

You might be right come to think of it. I know Young played some QB that year, I think he had a long TD run against FSU and we thought he might really be special and then he basically never did anything after that. Got moved to receiver I think.

You might be right come to think of it. I know Young played some QB that year, I think he had a long TD run against FSU and we thought he might really be special and then he basically never did anything after that. Got moved to receiver I think.

I think that TD run by Young came the previous year, under Caldwell, when Young was the starter replacing the injured Leak. I actually can't recall any action at QB by Young under Grobe. I recall there was a lot of buzz about him not wanting to play QB for some reason. Maybe he didn't want to get "killed" like Leak was.

I think that TD run by Young came the previous year, under Caldwell, when Young was the starter replacing the injured Leak. I actually can't recall any action at QB by Young under Grobe. I recall there was a lot of buzz about him not wanting to play QB for some reason. Maybe he didn't want to get "killed" like Leak was.

Hmmmm, I think you're right about Mack getting the start against ECU, but I was almost positive Young played some QB under Grobe. Not above admitting I could be wrong though.

The misdirection running plays in the early years of the Grobe/Calhoun tenure were fun to watch!

They even often fooled the TV cameras!

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/092901aaa.html

It was in Grobe's first year. I do think you're right about Mack getting the start against ECU though.

It's neat reading some of those old recaps and seeing the names.

Well, again I stand corrected. I remember the 71-yard run though. Thought it was part of the reason most felt he would be the starter for Grobe who at that time was a run-first coach. I have a better memory of Wake football from my undergrad days in the late '70s than I do more recent seasons. #olds

Wow 4 games by a total of 7 points. 79 was fun. That amazing comeback vs Auburn (I was there) was awesome. Coach Mackovic's short half-time speech made Sports Illustrated which was cool to see. I went to the Tangerine Bowl which was fun except we played a very good LSU team. Game was never close.
Also, attended the Tangerine bowl in a stadium that shook when the wind blew. Would have done better but Jay was hurt for that game

Well, again I stand corrected. I remember the 71-yard run though. Thought it was part of the reason most felt he would be the starter for Grobe who at that time was a run-first coach. I have a better memory of Wake football from my undergrad days in the late '70s than I do more recent seasons. #olds

Don't sell yourself short, when you said Mack started the ECU game it rang a bell with me and I think you're right. That's pretty good memory I think.

Last edited:
Also, attended the Tangerine bowl in a stadium that shook when the wind blew. Would have done better but Jay was hurt for that game

LSU was also just a way better team that night.

Yeah, we were just happy to be there after not going to a bowl for what almost 3 decades?

You're right. I remember watching the game, feeling like we were over-matched, but just happy to be there.

Strangely, I also remember print ads Norman Stockton ran selling Old Gold sports coats to wear to the game. Didn't buy one.

Back