• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

National Signing Day Official Thread

Really impressed with the quality of the Claw class. a 6'5 TE from dade county? Hells to the yeas. Need some physical freaks on the squad.

I assume you mean Archibald, who is not from Dade COUNTY (where Miami is located). He is from Dade CITY, which is a town in Pasco County, totally on the other side of the state (the county north of Hillsborough County and Tampa).

Best commitment ordeal of the day, followed closely by Jamabo's Asian chicks tweet

Link

Did anyone do the ol' sign and fax in LOIs to 3 different schools routine this year?

Perhaps it is misguided but the test I like to use regarding our recruits is to look at who else offered. If top programs wanted the guys we got, that says more to me than their stars.

We beat some big name programs with several of our recruits.

I find it interesting that Rivals and ESPN have most of the ACC classes rated significantly higher than Scout does. Maybe Scout doesn't think as highly of the mid-Atlantic states? Looks like a pretty good class for us - we're ranked similarly to UVA. Clawson should have us competitive before too long. Things aren't really looking good for UVA and VT. Tech's class is aight, but Frank's recruiting has really fallen off the last few years. Of the top 30 players in VA, I only count 10 going to UVA or VT and 2 of the top 10. That's pretty pathetic - that number should be in the low 20s most years and was when both had decent teams. Both schools sorely need coaching changes.

I find it interesting that Rivals and ESPN have most of the ACC classes rated significantly higher than Scout does. Maybe Scout doesn't think as highly of the mid-Atlantic states? Looks like a pretty good class for us - we're ranked similarly to UVA. Clawson should have us competitive before too long. Things aren't really looking good for UVA and VT. Tech's class is aight, but Frank's recruiting has really fallen off the last few years. Of the top 30 players in VA, I only count 10 going to UVA or VT and 2 of the top 10. That's pretty pathetic - that number should be in the low 20s most years and was when both had decent teams. Both schools sorely need coaching changes.

VT used to regularly clean up in VA, which typically has lots of talent.
It may be that current recruits are thinking that Beamer might not be around too long and are looking elsewhere.

VT used to regularly clean up in VA, which typically has lots of talent.
It may be that current recruits are thinking that Beamer might not be around too long and are looking elsewhere.

That's exactly it. When Welsh got past his prime, UVA had the sense to nudge him out - although then made a big mistake and hired Groh. The word I heard was that VT was going to nudge Frank out after this past season. Didn't happen. This is very much a football state and not a hoops state like MD & NC. To have both state schools sucking at the same time is pitiful. And with the Good Buzz now at Tech, in a year or 2, both hoops programs will be higher rated than their football programs. That hasn't happened since Sampson days.

Yeah, this confused me. Thought I read on here that we were 51st overall and Duke was 59th. How did Duke then get 8th in the league while we're 11th? Different services?

ESPN: 42, 9th in the ACC (beating Duke, UVA, Pitt, BC, Cuse)
Rivals: 52, 11th in the ACC (beating Duke, Cuse, Pitt)
24/7: 53, 11th in the ACC (beating BC, Pitt, Cuse)
Scout: 67, 13th in the ACC (beating Duke)

ETA: who we're ahead of. 2xETA: Scout (which is clearly a terrible ranking service)

Last edited:
Yeah, this confused me. Thought I read on here that we were 51st overall and Duke was 59th. How did Duke then get 8th in the league while we're 11th? Different services?

numbers game. Duke's avg recruit rating is higher than ours. We just signed more.

I've never viewed Scout as credible as Rivals. Every team site on Rivals seems to be constantly updated (someone please correct me, if i'm wrong), while there are some really dead Scout sites. I also think that some of the Insider stuff at Scout is pulled from the Rivals people. I'm not sure about ESPN or 247.

I've never viewed Scout as credible as Rivals. Every team site on Rivals seems to be constantly updated (someone please correct me, if i'm wrong), while there are some really dead Scout sites. I also think that some of the Insider stuff at Scout is pulled from the Rivals people. I'm not sure about ESPN or 247.

some of the info on Scout (photos, high schools, heights, weights) are well over a year old.

Best commitment ordeal of the day, followed closely by Jamabo's Asian chicks tweet

Link

My favorite of the day is this:

Linebacker Roquan Smith, the No. 47 overall recruit, commits to UCLA on live TV
He doesn't realize it, but while he's answering media questions it's announced that UCLAs DC has accepted a job with the Atlanta Falcons
In an attempt to get him to get his paperwork in before finding out about the loss of their DC UCLA starts phoning/texting him telling him to hurry up and get his LOI signed and sent in
Georgia Bulldogs coaches start texting/phoning him trying to let him know that UCLAs DC has just quit and that he should reopen his recruitment
Roquan Smith finds out what's happening before signing the actual LOI and reopens his commitment

http://thebiglead.com/2015/02/05/media-coverage-may-cost-ucla-top-50-linebacker-recruit/

Back