• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

navigating the dry waters of NA beers and liquors (for recs, reviews, whatever)

EatLeadCommie

Tommy Elrod
Reaction score
The wife and I have started to test out the world of non-alcoholic beverages. I have found after enough years of parenting now that I am rarely drunk anymore (if I am, it's usually during football season), and pace myself enough to where my buzz is slight most of the time. So it's not the drunkenness or buzziness that I feel an attachment to (and definitely not the hangovers, which are ten times worse as you get older and completely incompatible with parenting), but rather the whole ritual of sitting down and having a drink. And with that in mind, I have delved into the NA beer world.

My observations are as follows...

Guinness is far and away the best one I've found so far. It has the same taste and feel/weight of the real product. Very impressed.

Peroni. Having my first one now. Tastes like a Peroni to me. I will say that Peroni normally has kind of a bite and funk to it that is probably helpful in masking what is sometimes that NA bite and funk, but it's hard to tell if that's going on here.

Becks. Didn't care for it too much. A bit too funky. Had the weight to it though.

Coors Edge. Tastes like a shitty Coors. Coors is fine when it's 100 degrees out, but this didn't move the needle for me.

Heineken. Didn't much care for it and doesn't help that it feels like I'm drinking a Red Bull with that skinny can. Not bad if you like Heineken I guess.

Clausthaler Original. I like this one. It has its own kind of funk, but when there were no other NA options around other than O'Douls, it was the only one that was drinkable. The funk to me gives it a unique aftertaste, but one you get used to. And again, the weight of it in the mouth feels like a beer.

Shiner Rode0. Really liked this one and was surprised. It will be my go-to lawnmowing brew. Seems pretty perfect for that purpose. It is more of a golden type beer and not a bock. Shiner makes a lot of beers these days, but their bock is what is mostly sold outside of Texas.

Athletic Brewing Extra Dark. Didn't like it at all. Tasted like stout flavored water. A good example of an NA beer that lacks "the weight" of a beer.

Athletic Brewing Upside Dawn. Didn't like it either. Same issue with the Athletic stout and sickeningly sweet, almost like a cocktail or a soda. Of course my wife liked it.

Athletic Brewing Run Wild IPA. Lukewarm on this. I don't care for IPAs, but it didn't just taste like IPA flavored water to me at least. If you like IPAs, it seems like a reasonable alternative.

I've never been big into liquor so I don't have anything to review there. The wife purchased some NA bourbon, but of course it has none of the bite or burn of the real deal. I think that the NA liquors have gotta be strictly for mocktails, but maybe I'm mistaken. I don't see much need for that unless maybe I feel like a margarita with some Mexican food.

I am coming up on 5 years sober, and the selection of NA beers today is really impressive. It seems like such a small thing, but it really makes me happy when restaurants have an NA beer selection or even NA part of their drink menu. It’s not really a “beer” but my favorite is the lagunitas hoppy refresher. It’s more like a hop flavored lacroix, but it’s great. I tried an NA bourbon but it wasn’t very good. Since i used to be into home bartending, I’ve wanted to dabble into making home mocktails, but haven’t been inspired yet. I think i tried an NA red wine once, but i honestly can’t recall my impression.

There are so many options now, it's awesome. In the summertime, I enjoy Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher, but have a hard time paying for that since it's basically like a different flavor of Lacroix but with a beer pricetag.
The best N/A beers I've had: Crux Brewing's 'no mo' and anything from Fremont Brewing. Fremont's IPA is the best one... the stout is ok, but has a bit of a watery aftertaste to it. The Athletic brewing company stuff is ok, but it all tastes just a little too malty/grainy to me, and not in a good way.

For other options, I like mixing bitters with soda water/la croix over ice. Wilderton n/a 'spirits' are good, too. They're not really trying to be 'gin' or 'vodka' - they're their own herbaceous taste that goes well with other typical mix-ins.

Recently out at dinner I got a 'Phony Negroni' which is a pre-mixed n/a cocktail in a bottle from some place out of NY. It was really good/what I was hoping for... felt fairly replicable, but if you're looking for something ready to go, it was tasty.

The Guinness NA slaps, agreed.

The NA Heinekin tastes like a shitty dad beer I guess.

Hoplark is my favorite hopwater brand.

Recently out at dinner I got a 'Phony Negroni' which is a pre-mixed n/a cocktail in a bottle from some place out of NY. It was really good/what I was hoping for... felt fairly replicable, but if you're looking for something ready to go, it was tasty.

Phony Negroni is really good for a non-alcoholic cocktail. I was impressed. I think RSF drinks these also.

I like Heineken zero - it still tastes like beer. I also find the Athletic options hit or miss. Clausthaler is good - I tend to not buy as much of it as I’m trying other options, but if I’m picking one it’s that or Heineken.

Good topic. It is nice to find good NA beers on menus now.

I like Heineken zero - it still tastes like beer. I also find the Athletic options hit or miss. Clausthaler is good - I tend to not buy as much of it as I’m trying other options, but if I’m picking one it’s that or Heineken.

Good topic. It is nice to find good NA beers on menus now.

My brother has recently gotten sober so I’ve started to pay more attention when we go out or he brings stuff over. It’s really impressive how much variety and quality is out there.

I switched to NAs about two years ago. The Athletic line is mostly very good. Sam Adams' hazy IPA is good. Untitled Art is good. NA liquors don't do it for me and the NA wines seem bad enough I haven't bothered. Some restaurants are starting to have some genuinely good NA cocktails, including some CBD offerings. The switch has been a game changer for my sleep and makes weight loss much easier. I miss good wine, scotch and bourbon but with the better sleep I am going to stay the course.

I switched to NAs about two years ago. The Athletic line is mostly very good. Sam Adams' hazy IPA is good. Untitled Art is good. NA liquors don't do it for me and the NA wines seem bad enough I haven't bothered. Some restaurants are starting to have some genuinely good NA cocktails, including some CBD offerings. The switch has been a game changer for my sleep and makes weight loss much easier. I miss good wine, scotch and bourbon but with the better sleep I am going to stay the course.
I’ve tried a bunch of NA IPAs and I liked the Untitled Juicy IPA the best. Their Citra Haze and West Coast IPA are pretty good too.

Re: Athletic, I’ve ordered some of their pilot/seasonal stuff directly from their website and I’ve found them much more interesting than their core brands sold at stores. The shipping cost isn’t so bad either, FWIW.

Nothing beats the real thing though…just got done with my New Years drying out period and man, these bad boys are tasting good.

Last edited:
My tops

Dark - Guinness
IPA - Lagunitas NIPA; Ok ones: Brewdog Hazy Jane and Hazy AF Tropical, Sam Adams Just the Haze
Lighter - Clausthaler Dry-hopped
Pilsner - Untitled Art NA Pilsner
Shandy - Paulaner Weizen-Radler, Brewdog Simple Shandy

Complete ass:
Heineken, O'Douls, anything Bravus, anything Partake, most everything else Brewdog, Gruvi Mocha Nitro Stout

All NA wine is garbage, unless you're mulling it.

There's an NA Beckett's Moscow Mule that's scratched the itch well too.

I've also enjoyed the hop waters, I think it was Sierra Nevada's I liked; Incendiary makes one that's nice.

i'm not over the moon about any of the N/A substitutes out there, but I don't find them terrible or anything

but for me, if I'm not going to drink alcohol then I find I prefer the fancy waters to the N/A beers so I rarely go the N/A beer route

Just got some Recess n/a cocktails in a sampler pack - it has a mule, a paloma, a margarita, and mojito. Had a mule last night, and I really enjoyed it. I ordered them on a whim after looking up the Phony Negronis to purchase for myself... they're less expensive, and so far I'm pleased. I'll try one of the other flavors tonight. They have adaptogens in them, which I didn't really notice yesterday. We'll see if that's more obvious this evening.

Back