• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

navigating the dry waters of NA beers and liquors (for recs, reviews, whatever)

i'm not over the moon about any of the N/A substitutes out there, but I don't find them terrible or anything

but for me, if I'm not going to drink alcohol then I find I prefer the fancy waters to the N/A beers so I rarely go the N/A beer route
topo chico got me off the sauce

Guinness is good.

Sam Adams Hazy is solid.

I love there's a wide variety of NA beers now.

My fiancé bought a bottle of NA wine, and said she really liked it before realizing that she accidentally bought the NA one.

NA spirits are a straight up scam. Much better off just making Mocktails with decent tasting ingredients and try to make a good drink.

My fiancé bought a bottle of NA wine, and said she really liked it before realizing that she accidentally bought the NA one.

NA spirits are a straight up scam. Much better off just making Mocktails with decent tasting ingredients and try to make a good drink.

This I agree with. A bottle of NA bourbon is still going to set you back 25-30, and it isn't close to the real thing... but you can find something else to mix it with that will give you that "burn"...sort of. And it's another 25-30. WTF ever.

I'm a fan of Hoplark Hop Tea when I want to go N/A

Mask_Group_16_1200x.png

So some of these-- particularly the faux liquors or their additives-- come with a little something to calm or energize or whatever. Basically, to provide a buzz that isn't an alcohol buzz. I get that caffeine and energy drinks and teas can do much the same, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of quitting drinking?

Thread motivated me to try something new yesterday.

Athletic Wit's Peak - Belgian Style White

Pretty solid. Better than most of their beers.

Has anyone tried their limited beers that are not in stores?

They had a black IPA at one time that was excellent. By far my favorite of any of their beers. I have not checked their lineup recently to see if it is available again.

My favorite was listening to an NPR story about the rise of mocktail/NA bars And they mentioned that there is now a non-alcoholic white claw - so they have just re-invented sparkling water, (and probably charge a lot more for it)

Budweiser 0 tastes like PBR that was left open all day and then mixed with seltzer.

Topo Chico with lime is far superior.

Had their West Coast IPA this time last year…decent, nothing mind blowing. Ordered “Vacation Reminder” last month – a hopped up and fruity IPA – and that one was much better. Currently see a hoppy Helles which might be interesting

Picked up the Sam Adams Hazy IPA NA last night. Again, I'm not an IPA guy, but it's pretty good just as a few of you have stated on here. I saw that Sierra Nevada has a golden and an IPA NA, so I'll probably pick up the golden next, as I've already surpassed my IPA quota for the year.

I bought some Budweiser Zero. Again, I'm navigating the waters here. Wasn't expecting a whole lot but it was palatable IF you can stand the Bud Light/Bud beers. To me, it was more like a regular Bud than Bud Light...maybe even more like a Miller Lite. But I'm relying on memory here. I haven't had an actual Miller Lite in ages.

Anyway, when it's 100+ degrees in the summer and I've just mowed my lawn, Bud Zero will probably be just fine. Better than Coors Edge, FWIW.

I also had the NA Sierra Nevada IPA and Golden brews. Found them both to be just ok-- maybe on par with the Athletic offerings. Just lacking a bit of something that I can't put my finger on.

My three favorites so far are the NA Guinness, the Sam Adams Hazy IPA, and the Shiner Rodeo. All different styles that work for different situations.

I had a N/A wine at a wine tasting one time and I liked it but it was like $45

I don't think I'd pay $15 for a good N/A wine, much less $45

We picked up some NA beer from Best Day Brewing. Better than Athletic Brewing imo

Phony Negroni is really good for a non-alcoholic cocktail. I was impressed. I think RSF drinks these also.
I've praised them a few times on here, yeah. My wife swore by them when she was pregnant, and we gave the last few we had in our pantry to my pregnant sister this weekend. She agreed that they kick ass, and my bartender buddy grabbed one and dug it too.

It's still wild to me that they're able to nail the taste that closely.

PIcked up some "Dry" Asahi and the Blue Moon non-alcoholic. The dry Asahi pretty much tastes like Asahi. The Blue Moon I picked up for the Missus and have not tried.

Back