• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NazT Deac, DeacMan, and iLoveTaron no longer DS mods

And now it's fostered a more cowardly, drive-by mentality. That seems to be exactly what was wrong at DS. And you don't want a post, fine. Man up, send a PM, and stand behind your thoughts.

First, any time you post about a group of users being "whiny little cunts" who can "go fuck themselves" even random normal posters will neg rep you. I didn't because I know LK, but if I didn't I would absolutely neg rep him just for the ridiculous tone of the post.

Second, good posters count for more than crappy ones, and rep is limited so that you can't just bang away at one poster. It's not about one-on-one confrontations or signing rep replies. It's about a general consensus of the board as to how your posts are perceived. If you get a shitload of neg reps for a post and it makes you all pissy about who precisely left it, you're missing the point.

I think the rep system has a lot to do with threads being more civil around here. The anonymity keeps it civil, precisely because you DON'T get into a situation where guys are going back and forth at each other nonstop, hijacking threads, etc.

First, any time you post about a group of users being "whiny little cunts" who can "go fuck themselves" even random normal posters will neg rep you. I didn't because I know LK, but if I didn't I would absolutely neg rep him just for the ridiculous tone of the post.

Second, good posters count for more than crappy ones, and rep is limited so that you can't just bang away at one poster. It's not about one-on-one confrontations or signing rep replies. It's about a general consensus of the board as to how your posts are perceived. If you get a shitload of neg reps for a post and it makes you all pissy about who precisely left it, you're missing the point.

I think the rep system has a lot to do with threads being more civil around here. The anonymity keeps it civil, precisely because you DON'T get into a situation where guys are going back and forth at each other nonstop, hijacking threads, etc.

Pos repped. I signed it too!

Now that is a proper response.

I personally don't get all pissy about the neg rep. It tells me someone actually read the post and had an opinion on it.

And in this particular case, the posrep has outweighed the negrep by about 5-1. So should I interpret that as my post being successful? :)

Now that is a proper response.

I personally don't get all pissy about the neg rep. It tells me someone actually read the post and had an opinion on it.

And in this particular case, the posrep has outweighed the negrep by about 5-1. So should I interpret that as my post being successful? :)

Eh, sometimes you know you'll get dinged for something you think is worth posting. The point is, despite it mattering far less to some than others, in general posters give their posts a second thought. Which is a good thing. I think it's really helped this board.

Plus if you're new here and see a baiting post from someone like keeper, then see his incredible row of negative rep, he's a lot easier to ignore and/or laugh off.

For the record, I'm hardly one who will ever be accused of getting pissy about negrep. The point I'm making is more to the issue of the drive-by type negreps which lack any reasoning. When we started all this, I pretty much said "fuck it;" the rep thing isn't going to change anything I post. I'm just more about public discourse than anonymous shit-slinging. Or course, when in Rome...:beer:

For the record, I'm hardly one who will ever be accused of getting pissy about negrep. The point I'm making is more to the issue of the drive-by type negreps which lack any reasoning. When we started all this, I pretty much said "fuck it;" the rep thing isn't going to change anything I post. I'm just more about public discourse than anonymous shit-slinging. Or course, when in Rome...:beer:

Yes, go on...

ron-burgundy-3717.jpg

How do you know that NazT didn't step down on his own because 1) Being a mod is a huge time commitment, for basically no reward and 2) Now he doesn't have to worry about being tied to the DS site when he shares his opinions?

I never really did get the NazT hate though. He's a really good guy, super WFU fan, and was never negative/hateful towards anybody. Even if he did feel a certain way about what talk should and shouldn't be allowed on a message board, he made sure to express that opinion in a thoughtful way.

well said, i am proud to call Noel my friend. i think he is a great guy & has gone out of his way to help me out when times were tough.

Naz has been a good friend over the years and I've always appreciated his total devotion to Wake and his loyalty to friends. I think a lot of the vitriol leveled towards Naz is mainly based on people's board personas interacting with his board persona and duties as a mod. I haven't always agreed with him but at the end of the day, he's a good friend. I think a lot of people who rip Naz would agree if they actually knew him away from the boards. Which is the case for most of us.

i can see you guys hanging out, eating 94 cheeseburgers each

Let's trust PH on this. He is an expert on the matter.

Sad, but true. I'd rather have somebody say "fuck you, ph" in an anonymous neg rep or a tag than distracting a good thread.

Naz is a great guy, and he went out of his way to help me out with something that I approached him with a few months ago. I think he's a great representative of the school.

On the other hand, I can also certainly understand people being worried about the impropriety of his dual roles as a mod and a school employee given the tone of the old boards during the final few weeks/months of their heyday.
I personally don't believe he did (or even would do) anything wrong, but I understand that perception becomes reality, so I understand it.

Bottom line: He's a good guy and a great rep for the school. Once the tone of the old boards soured and everybody suspected a conspiracy he was in a tough spot and elected to try and ride it out, which only caused folks to go after him harder. He's definitely catching far more heat than he deserves, IMHO.

Is there really anyone (of any value) who dislikes Naz? He's a great guy and a great fan. The comments about his status as a mod were never about any of that.

I'm not sure why so many feel the need to completely white knight him.

That being said, I'm glad Turf is still around to determine what is appropriate and to ban anyone who dares speak up.

Naz is one of the nicest guys I know. I would never suspect that he would want anything other than what was best for Wake Forest, and there was at least one occasion during a board meltdown that he talked me down off the proverbial ledge (I probably deserved a much harsher upbraiding than the one I actually got).

I don't know any of the other guys personally, and don't really have anything against them one way or the other. I prefer this board, and I think information gets passed around more easily here than it did over there. I don't think Naz was any part of any problem I ever saw.

I disagree with both of these points.

First, you have a few folks who just end up negrepping the people they don't like. Now they might have to spread it around, but I have seen a lot of the same comments repeated in the negreps I have rec'd. You also begin to get a feeling of who is paying attention to the thread and eventually you get an idea of who it is that is negrepping you. I can understand getting a shit ton of negreps for an asinine post - that's one thing, but when the same people are dinging you over and over again, it takes away from your willingness to put your opinion out there. We all came over to OGBoards because we didn't want to be persecuted for having differing opinions and while we aren't getting banned, the negreps are just that.

The anonymity doesn't keep it civil. Milhouse and I have already had a negrep battle (which we worked out.) It just takes a lot of it behind the scenes.

One thing that might add civility would be taking away the anonymity of posreps. Then folks might be surprised that poster x generally agrees with him/her. It might actually support a bit of goodwill.

I sign all my reps, positive or negative, and it has had repercussions (both positive and negative).

I sign all my reps, positive or negative, and it has had repercussions (both positive and negative).

Same here, but I do it voluntarily. I think anonymous reps work to keep the board cleaner.

Is there really anyone (of any value) who dislikes Naz? He's a great guy and a great fan. The comments about his status as a mod were never about any of that.

I'm not sure why so many feel the need to completely white knight him.

That being said, I'm glad Turf is still around to determine what is appropriate and to ban anyone who dares speak up.

No doubt he's the nicest thing since Whole Foods' lemon curd bars, but a lot of people would think better of him if he would stop that stupid dancing. It's way beyond old. It's an embarrassment that looks like it came from Klempsun or State College.

Back