• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

I don't follow the Celtics at all, but one thing I don't understand is why they are so involved. Rajon is pretty damn legit.....let's trade a really good point guard for a really really good point guard!

Probably because they don't consider Rondo to be really good, and they consider CP great.

I am of the opinion that this trade would have made the Lakers far more vulnerable in the playoffs in the short-term. bynum + Pau with Kobe is just a huge advantage in the West. The Spurs just aren't big enough, and the teams that are big enough (say the Clippers), don't have a Kobe.

The CP3 trade took away that asset, regardless of whether they could have signed West or whomever.

I do think this potentially makes the Lakers lethal in Year 3 or 4 if they can get a kid 4 or 5 in the draft, but this year and next they would not have been as successful in the playoffs as you would think

I am of the opinion that this trade would have made the Lakers far more vulnerable in the playoffs in the short-term. bynum + Pau with Kobe is just a huge advantage in the West. The Spurs just aren't big enough, and the teams that are big enough (say the Clippers), don't have a Kobe.

The CP3 trade took away that asset, regardless of whether they could have signed West or whomever.

I do think this potentially makes the Lakers lethal in Year 3 or 4 if they can get a kid 4 or 5 in the draft, but this year and next they would not have been as successful in the playoffs as you would think

translation: lakers were going to win it all with cp3 this year.

Well obviously. The writing was on the wall. By not including Bynum for CP3, he was set to go east for Dwight. Not sure who they would have included though since Odom would be gone.

I blame that douchebag bearded gay guy on the first or second season of survivor - the one who made all those alliances and then won the cash and now sits in jail.

Dwight Howard and Chris Paul and Kobe can't sit down in a room or on Skype and figure a way with Kupchak to get them all on the same team - with part of the strategy being you have to pout and demand a trade.

It's just not going to be allowed unless you dupe one or two other GMs. Melo's case was the last one. I'd say Miami killed it and New York fucked it up. If I was New York, I would have turned my back on Melo and gone hard after CP3. Stern would love to share a town with CP3 and two stars would be allowable. Three waters down the product league wide and is just not going to be possible.

You watch, they will figure a way to keep Miami from signing much of anybody once they win a championship or two. It will be the three headed super star plus the equivalent of six 38-year old Gary Paytons. I'm sure James Jones will still be the 7th man in his 18th season with the Heat.

I had one bad year. Who knew Jason Terry was going to be money after years of being awful in crunch time?

But go ahead, I deserve it. But when I look at the current Spurs playing a 7-game series against the Lakers I would much prefer to play Kobe, CP3, Bynum, maybe David West, Fish, and World B. Weirdo than Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Fish and World B. Weirdo.

Manu, at least when healthy has a good history with Kobe. Ditto Tony P on CP3. Duncan does not have a good history trying to control the paint against both Bynum and Gasol, but I like his chances against just Bynum. if they Lakers had signed David West, then you can afford to play your best action player in Blair. With Gasol, Blair can't really see the court. Plus, there is not Odom to set up additional mismatches against the Spurs' 3.

And that's if both the Lakers and Spurs can conquer OK City and Memphis and the Clippers. Marc Gasol is the most underrated player in the league IMO. If Memphis doesn't sign him, Zach Randolph is going to have a meltdown. I think Randolph said he'd give Gasol some of his money if that is what it would take to sign him. Gasol is a beast. He's like a slightly smaller Mark Eaton with a jumper and a little more mobility.

Not a big NBA guy, but this whole thing seems crazy to me. This sort of thing happens all the time, not just in the NBA, but in MLB as well -- a team wants to trade a player before he becomes a free agent. Seems to me like New Orleans got a pretty decent return for CP3, who will otherwise sign elsewhere and leave the Hornets empty-handed in another few months.

I think Stern should have to go on and air and explain this decision in detail, because it makes no sense at all.

This is Sterns payback to Leon Rose/CAA for the lockout. Plain and simple, its a powerplay by Stern to reassert himself as the most powerful man in the NBA.

Be interesting to see if the Howard to the Nets deal gets done.

Wouldn't be shocked to see the CAA guys (Bron, CP3, Melo etc) all rise up and go on strike.

So uniform-wise - the Wizards are the only team with new jerseys, correct?

wizards-uniforms.jpg

Court01.jpg

Two years away from going back to the bullets? Please?

clearly the nba needs to sell the hornets asap. my plan:

1. sell hornets to n'awlins native master p.
2. make em say uhhhhhh.
3. ??????
4. profit

Also, as a marketing person I love what the Wizards are doing. Great decision to go back to their roots. Maybe in light of the Arenas incident it wouldn't be a great idea to go back to 'Bullets' but they are in a serious need of a name change. This transformation tells me a new one is certainly on the way.

The Union is going to sue the NBA Monday if they don't find a way to make the Laker-Hornet-Rocket deal work.

The Union is going to sue the NBA Monday if they don't find a way to make the Laker-Hornet-Rocket deal work.
Just heard that Stern allowed NO to re-open trade talks for Paul, and they immediately contacted Houston and LA...the fuck?

How do you attempt another trade with those teams? Do you make the deal better for the Hornets?

Just heard that Stern allowed NO to re-open trade talks for Paul, and they immediately contacted Houston and LA...the fuck?

How do you attempt another trade with those teams? Do you make the deal better for the Hornets?

The League seems to have more of an issue with the lakers not giving up enough assets to take them out of play for Howard, aka Bynum. If they deal Bynum, this trade is probably approved.

Back