• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

Marc Stein-

ESPN sources: Hornets/Lakers/Rockets cautiously optimistic they'll have reworked CP3 trade to present to NBA perhaps as soon as Saturday

Specific changes to deal not immediately known but teams working through night to infuse CP3 deal w/enough youth and/or picks to satisfy NBA

As the Hornets owner, how can Stern allow the Demps to trade West for a bunch of garbage. If there ever was a time for a "basketball reasons" veto, it is now.

Well how about this

1) We know the trade got vetoed because the owners hated CP going to the lakers

2) Stern is lying and says he doesn't like it for the Hornets

3) Its a sign and trade, teams habitually will do this and just take back a second rounder

Did stern do this just to show "see what we did with West, it wasn't about protecting small market teams, we just helped the Celts too, it was about making the Hornets better (with whatever they get from the Celts)"

It was quite obvious with the backlash the League needed to come up with some sort of face saving manuever not to be caught lying, is this it?

Marc Stein-

ESPN sources: Hornets/Lakers/Rockets cautiously optimistic they'll have reworked CP3 trade to present to NBA perhaps as soon as Saturday

Specific changes to deal not immediately known but teams working through night to infuse CP3 deal w/enough youth and/or picks to satisfy NBA

My first comment was wondering where Budinger or Patterson was in the original deal. My guess is Patterson or Budinger is headed NO's way. Patterson makes sense if HOU is getting Gasol.

The league would really save face if they could make Lowry go to NO, but I'm not sure how keen Morey is on helping the league save face. And you'd have to think the Rockets would need to get a second piece. Trying to figure out how to somewhat screw the Lakers more and help HOU but I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:
Well it's clear that they are going to let the trade go through now with some bullshit cosmetic changes. They will throw in a shitty draft pick and some young scrub and say it helps the Hornets rebuild, hoping that everyone forgets what an idiotic move Stern made.

Well it's clear that they are going to let the trade go through now with some bullshit cosmetic changes. They will throw in a shitty draft pick and some young scrub and say it helps the Hornets rebuild, hoping that everyone forgets what an idiotic move Stern made.

My guess is

LAL: CP3 Jermaine O Neill

HOU: Pau and Odom

Hornets: Dragic, Scola, Martin, Thabeet, Patterson or Budinger, Hill or Williams 2 first rounders.

Lakers are over the cap and can use the body of O Neill for 1 year and it makes Gilbert happier.

Houston goes all in to win now, has 5 young players they can sell as prospects and need to throw them in if they're getting Odom as well to still have Nene room. Thabeet is a flyer and rids of em salary.

Nene, Pau and Odom is a pretty mcnasty front line, Lowry as PG, lee as SG then can they still use a midlevel to pick up one of the Richardson/crawford types? Rivals CHI or BOS as best defensive team with that starting lineup.

Perhaps hornets get 1 player less and Morey just amnestys Thabeet instead to get Nene money.

Last edited:
That sounds about right... I'm totally with you now that the Oneal deal was done just to force the Lakers to take on more money.

That's such bs. The NBA is starting to lose me. If they wanted to do something to help the small market teams they should've done it in the CBA. Ridiculous

That sounds about right... I'm totally with you now that the Oneal deal was done just to force the Lakers to take on more money.

They mention players and picks, and I think 1 pick was included in the first one. Going through the long list of houston's $2M contracts to see if any of Hill/Williams are even good.

Dude if Stern wants to be the owner of the Hornets and make the franchise more valuable, why not use that to increase Dell's leverage instead of diminish it.

"Hey Morey, this is David. You aren't getting Pau unless you throw in Chase and Patrick. Say hello to your wife for me, Happy Holidays. And remember, I can make ping pong balls disappear whenever I want."

Dude if Stern wants to be the owner of the Hornets and make the franchise more valuable, why not use that to increase Dell's leverage instead of diminish it.

"Hey Morey, this is David. You aren't getting Pau unless you throw in Chase and Patrick. Say hello to your wife for me, Happy Holidays"

haha. If you are going to pull some conflict of interest shit just go for it full throttle, 100%. Why stop now?

My question is, how the fuck did the small market owners drop the ball so bad on this "Chris can only sign a 2 year extension now, but if he waits till the end of the year, THEN they can go to 5"

The point was to help the small market teams, how did they not see by not being able to offer the full extension before he's a FA, it'd force the Otis Smith's and Dell Demps of the world to trade your guy even if there's a chance he would stay.

Orlando has given Howard's agent permission to speak to New Jersey, LAL, and Dallas

Why Dallas? Who in the world do they have to offer other than Dirk?

Presuming this info is actually correct, Dallas will either trade its entire team for Howard, hoping to resign him and another star in 2012 or Dirk for Howard

Am I missing something?

:werd:

My guess is

LAL: CP3 Jermaine O Neill

HOU: Pau and Odom

Hornets: Dragic, Scola, Martin, Thabeet, Patterson or Budinger, Hill or Williams 2 first rounders.

Lakers are over the cap and can use the body of O Neill for 1 year and it makes Gilbert happier.

Houston goes all in to win now, has 5 young players they can sell as prospects and need to throw them in if they're getting Odom as well to still have Nene room. Thabeet is a flyer and rids of em salary.

Nene, Pau and Odom is a pretty mcnasty front line, Lowry as PG, lee as SG then can they still use a midlevel to pick up one of the Richardson/crawford types? Rivals CHI or BOS as best defensive team with that starting lineup.

Perhaps hornets get 1 player less and Morey just amnestys Thabeet instead to get Nene money.

I like this, but I have a hard time seeing the organization get rid of Patterson. They know Buddinger's expendable, and Thabeet is practically a failed prospect, so they're perfect trade bait. But Patterson? That one hurts. He looks to be a piece of a good team in the future.

I don't understand why Houston would want Odom.

The problem with those trades is Odom's cotnract is only good for this year and Martin will only be there for two years.

I'm guessing that the David West trade signals the CP3 trade is back on. I know some people involved in that, and originally West wasnt going to be able to re-sign with the Hornets if the CP3 trade went through.

The more I think about the Lakers getting CP3. The more I realize how silly a trade it is.

Kobe has to have the ball to be effiective. He isn't a spot up shooter and mopes when he doesnt' get touches.

CP3 needs the ball to be effective. He makes other players better. Not having the ball 50-60% of the time on offense is waste ogf having him on your team.

Conversely, he's the absolutely perfect fit for the Clippers. Gordon is a good spot up shooter who doesn't need the ball to be happy or effective. The same is true about Griffin.

The more I think about the Lakers getting CP3. The more I realize how silly a trade it is.

Kobe has to have the ball to be effiective. He isn't a spot up shooter and mopes when he doesnt' get touches.

CP3 needs the ball to be effective. He makes other players better. Not having the ball 50-60% of the time on offense is waste ogf having him on your team.

Conversely, he's the absolutely perfect fit for the Clippers. Gordon is a good spot up shooter who doesn't need the ball to be happy or effective. The same is true about Griffin.

I guess you didn't watch a whole lot of the Olympics, RJ. CP and Kobe fared all right together and both were okay with the prospect of playing together according to most reporting... But, speculation is good, too.

Back