• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

The more I think about the Lakers getting CP3. The more I realize how silly a trade it is.

Kobe has to have the ball to be effiective. He isn't a spot up shooter and mopes when he doesnt' get touches.

CP3 needs the ball to be effective. He makes other players better. Not having the ball 50-60% of the time on offense is waste ogf having him on your team.

Conversely, he's the absolutely perfect fit for the Clippers. Gordon is a good spot up shooter who doesn't need the ball to be happy or effective. The same is true about Griffin.

I think Kobe moves fine without the ball, and has really developed a post game that will be dangerous with him and Chris playing 2-man offensive sets (something the Heat can't do because none of their guys have a great back to the basket game). I know Kobe has a reputation for being a bit of a diva, but if the Lakers are winning I am sure he would welcome another guard taking some of the workload off his knees.

My question is.... is a CP3/Kobe backcourt the best backcourt ever?

I guess you didn't watch a whole lot of the Olympics, RJ. CP and Kobe fared all right together and both were okay with the prospect of playing together according to most reporting... But, speculation is good, too.

It's one thing to talk about an Olympic team that happens once every four years.

Another aspect to think about is that no one played much more than half the game on the Olympic team.

It's truly apples and oranges.

Another thing is this decimates an already weak rebounding team inside.

Also, Bynum misses about thirty games per season. If misses games, the Lakers are barely a playoff team after this trade.

Last edited:
yeah i feel like the lakers would be well off taking back okafor and offloading more money

I like this, but I have a hard time seeing the organization get rid of Patterson. They know Buddinger's expendable, and Thabeet is practically a failed prospect, so they're perfect trade bait. But Patterson? That one hurts. He looks to be a piece of a good team in the future.

I don't understand why Houston would want Odom.

Yeah its likely Budinger. NO desperately needs a SF prospect since they currently have Ariza and Pondexter. I suppose Morey could agree Patterson is expendable at PF if you've got Pau there for for three years though. Odom really helps them win now, which would be the argument. Houston has a gaping hole at SF of which Odom is quite a good upgrade.

Last edited:
It's one thing to talk about an Olympic team that happens once every four years.

Another aspect to think about is that no one played much more than half the game on the Olympic team.

It's truly apples and oranges.

Another thing is this decimates an already weak rebounding team inside.

Also, Bynum misses about thirty games per season. If misses games, the Lakers are barely a playoff team after this trade.
The Lakers were third in total rebounds in the NBA last season.

Yeah its likely Budinger. NO desperately needs a SF prospect since they currently have Ariza and Pondexter. I suppose Morey could agree Patterson is expendable at PF if you've got Pau there for for three years though. Odom really helps them win now, which would be the argument. Houston has a gaping hole at SF of which Odom is quite a good upgrade.

The original trade had Houston only getting Pau. Odom went to NO.

@johnhollinger
John Hollinger
Seems to me that only way this deal could be revised is to put Bynum in for Odom and send Okafor back to Lakers.

Lakers rockets and hornets just need to sue their fellow owners and end this farce

@johnhollinger
John Hollinger
Seems to me that only way this deal could be revised is to put Bynum in for Odom and send Okafor back to Lakers.

The thing is that would make the Lakers better in the short term than the original trade.

Like I said, I have no idea who would have played PF for the Lakers haha

An opening night frontcourt of Walton and Character

@johnhollinger
John Hollinger

has any team ever traded TWO seven footers in one deal? good ones at that. Okafor or not, if that happened the Lakers would be making some additional signings for the frontcourt. (would have had to do that anyway with initial deal)

Like I said, I have no idea who would have played PF for the Lakers haha

An opening night frontcourt of Walton and Character

With their roster, I'm guessing their starting five would be:

PG: CP3
SG: Kobe
SF: Kapono
PF: Artest
C: Bynum

Bynum is suspended 5 games for trying to eat JJ Barea

Also, the Lakers had one of the more underrated draft nights, in opinion, in Morris and Goudelock. One of those guys will develop into a legitimate NBA player and both definitely have the chance...

Back