• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Open Enrollment School Bill

sounds like a great way for high schools to recruit football, baseball, and basketball players and an extremely efficient way to resegregate schools.

The concept would be abused and bastardized far beyond the original intent of the bill. Nope nope nope.

The bureaucratic nightmare this would cause would only increase public education administrative bloat and leave less money and resources for teachers and instruction. Basically, kids will get a less resourced education somewhere else. Obviously, few kids will be able to go enroll in the top schools.

sounds like a great way for high schools to recruit football, baseball, and basketball players and an extremely efficient way to resegregate schools.

The Buddy Garrity's of NC can bring in all the Voodoo Tatums they want.

1hGi9t.Em.138.jpeg

Anyone who made the decision to wear that tie on picture day should not be making any decisions regarding education.

I'm all for diversity, in fact, I think it's a great thing. However, I'm not sure what I think about this bill. We're in a great elementary district, but we're faced with the prospect of moving to get out kid out of the middle school he's slated for because it has a lot of problems.

I suppose this bill would let us go to the closer middle school that's better off.

What happens when the schools of choice fill up.

I'm all for diversity, in fact, I think it's a great thing. However, I'm not sure what I think about this bill. We're in a great elementary district, but we're faced with the prospect of moving to get out kid out of the middle school he's slated for because it has a lot of problems.

I suppose this bill would let us go to the closer middle school that's better off.

What happens when the schools of choice fill up.

So this bill just creates a more convenient remedy for people who already have a remedy, and will probably not be applied in a way that offers an actual remedy to most of those currently without one?

Where is jmhd?

I'm all for diversity, in fact, I think it's a great thing. However, I'm not sure what I think about this bill. if you like diversity, you should hate it, because it's an automatic re-segregator.We're in a great elementary district, but we're faced with the prospect of moving to get out kid out of the middle school he's slated for because it has a lot of problems.

Yep, since you're probably middle class and own one or more reliable cars, this would be great for you. Your poorer neighbors get to stay in that middle school you don't like.

What happens when the schools of choice fill up. Simple, the other schools get to try to educate all the poor brown and black kids. With less resources, since they're paying part of their budget over to the schools of choice. Which is exactly the point of this bill.

Actually, there would be some diversity under this bill - the rich white schools would recruit the best black athletes and organize car pools to get them to school.

Actually, there would be some diversity under this bill - the rich white schools would recruit the best black athletes and organize car pools to get them to school.

On the positive side of things, how ridiculous would Independence be if they could openly do what they already do, without having to shennanigan Hakeem Nicks' locale?

On the positive side of things, how ridiculous would Independence be if they could openly do what they already do, without having to shennanigan Hakeem Nicks' locale?

Weren't they allowed to do basically recruit within CMS back in their Chris Leak heyday?

So this bill just creates a more convenient remedy for people who already have a remedy, and will probably not be applied in a way that offers an actual remedy to most of those currently without one?

Where is jmhd?

I wish they'd just fix the crap schools that have violence problems. The second problem we have at this middle school is academics, but that's probably more than the school can do without help from parents.

I wish they'd just fix the crap schools that have violence problems. The second problem we have at this middle school is academics, but that's probably more than the school can do without help from parents.

School needs to shrug on its bootstraps some more

So basically if you are rich you can send your kid anywhere, but if you're poor you're screwed.

How can anyone with a conscience be for this?

So basically if you have a car and don't have to be at work until after the drop-off time you can send your kid anywhere, but if you don't have a car or have to be at work early in the morning you're screwed.

How can anyone with a conscience be for this?

FIFY

2&2, where do you stand on this bill?

I would think Republicans would understand how much bureaucracy would be necessary to make this happen and how much that would cost.

Back