• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Open Enrollment School Bill

from my understanding (in my state), you can already switch districts to a different school as long as you pay the taxes. so rich people can already do that, right?

2&2, where do you stand on this bill?

I would think Republicans would understand how much bureaucracy would be necessary to make this happen and how much that would cost.

I'm pretty down the middle on it. From a policy standpoint, I agree with you that it is more unnecessary bureaucracy that doesn't solve anything for most people, it just shuffles things around for the sake of shuffling them. But I think some kids would get a better education from it, which is important, and it really shouldn't cause that much more bureaucracy. In theory, you need one statewide computer program and one additional employee per County to track the students and make the monetary adjustments. Honestly you could probably have an existing employee spend about a week per year doing it for each school year and handle it fine. But likely somebody will say it needs 20 new employees per County or some bullshit like that.

From a personal standpoint, however, I love it. None of the schools in our County have the services that our oldest son needs, but Mecklenburg County's designated school for his services is less than 4 miles from our house (actually closer to us than our actual school), so I was planning on either paying the inter-county tuition or Luke Caffertying a mailbox by buying a garbage foreclosure in that district which amortized would be less than the cost of private school tuition over the years he would be there even if I never sold it (and which I wouldn't feel bad about because from the property taxes on the wife's business we already pay three or four times the Meck. Co. school taxes that the average Meck Co resident pays). So if I could just fill out some forms and send him there without paying anything, that would be great. And I think that is part of the point of the bill, because I would actually be sending him to a worse overall school than our normal school, but it has the specific programs that most other schools don't have so it makes sense in our situation.

So if the bill fails then I will appreciate the decision from a policy perspective. But if it passes then I will certainly take advantage of it. Our theoretical musings on this board are great, but at the end of the day none of us are going to change anything with regard to these programs that are already too far down the shitter to be saved, so just ride the wave and make the best personal decisions possible based on whatever asinine laws are implemented.

sounds like a great way for high schools to recruit football, baseball, and basketball players and an extremely efficient way to resegregate schools.
It's already happened in Winston-Salem schools (both resegregation and sports recruiting).

Currently, the state has a rule that if you transfer to another school, you must sit out all sports for 365 days unless you have a change of address. Students can fill out a waiver to be immediately eligible if there are extenuating circumstances which led to their transfer; I haven't heard of any abuse of this yet but I'm sure it is happening.

I imagine if this bill is passed there would be a change to the current sports eligibility rules.

This would be a fucking disaster. Who's gonna decide on which kids get into the best county public HS, when every single student applies to go there.

And don't be fucking dunce GOP posters. Every upper to upper-middle class kid I knew (including myself) had a parent or babysitter or carpool they could take them to any school obligation, at any time. The poor kids did not.

So just stop fucking lying.

Last edited:
And this bill would make it so the next generation of Braskys won't have to go to school with the poors.

Seems like a pretty terrible bill. Parents need to invest in their community school. That is how you improve a school system. Get the local community to care. Shipping them around town further separates the parents from the education. This is like Obamacare for schools. Take a trouble area, find the main problem with it and them exacerbate that problem with your terrible solution. BRILLIANT.

Seems like a pretty terrible bill. Parents need to invest in their community school. That is how you improve a school system. Get the local community to care. Shipping them around town further separates the parents from the education. This is like Obamacare for schools. Take a trouble area, find the main problem with it and them exacerbate that problem with your terrible solution. BRILLIANT.

Terrible analogy......

Duval County School Superintendent, Nikolai Vitti (wake alum) proposed this for Jacksonville and then withdrew the proposal after public comments on it.

As I get to the age where I'm thinking about buying a home and having kids I'm faced with the prospect of moving to a different county or sending my kids to private school.

The elementary and middle schools aren't as bad but the high schools are terrible. My brothers and I all went to catholic school and that may be what happens for my future kids.

I wish they'd just fix the crap schools that have violence problems. The second problem we have at this middle school is academics, but that's probably more than the school can do without help from parents.

You don't want to send your kid to a school that has problems with violence? Do you want to make other parents bus their children an hour so each way to this school? Live the progressive dream and allow your kid to enjoy diversity at the school the fair and balanced school board has chosen for you.

It amazes me that we write education policy with expectation that some schools are just going to be bad.

It amazes me that we write education policy with expectation that some schools are just going to be bad.

says a lot, doesn't it?

We don't assume that some parts of our military will just be bad, and then write "soldier's choice acts" so that troops can opt into units where they are less likely to get killed. Instead, we fund the shit out of all parts of the military, and every dime of the bazillions flowing to defense contractors is justified "to keep our troops safe".

That's right. Public schools are just like the military. We don't want to let our children opt into schools where they are less likely to get killed. Instead, we should fund the shit out of all parts the public schools and justify every dime of the bazillions flowing to teachers unions "to keep our children safe".

That's right. Public schools are just like the military. We don't want to let our children opt into schools where they are less likely to get killed. Instead, we should fund the shit out of all parts the public schools and justify every dime of the bazillions flowing to teachers unions "to keep our children safe".

I was differentiating between the decision of a parent and the decisions of policy makers. Of course you should choose the best possible school for your kids as a parent. No one is suggesting otherwise. My point is that it seems ludicrous to me that we would write public policy resigned that some schools will just be inevitably flawed.

Holy shit you are stupid

ah yes, the teacher's unions. It's all their fault, even thought they have no real power in any state in the Southeast because they're right to work states, and are prohibited by law from engaging in collective bargaining in the state of NC and most other southern states.

Get a new boogieman, friend. When a poster starts talking teachers' unions on a thread about North Carolina education policy, it's a sure sign they don't have much of a clue.

I was differentiating between the decision of a parent and the decisions of policy makers. Of course you should choose the best possible school for your kids as a parent. No one is suggesting otherwise. My point is that it seems ludicrous to me that we would write public policy resigned that some schools will just be inevitably flawed.

Do you oppose open enrollment or not?

Back