• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Open Enrollment School Bill

This applies to defense, right?

It does. And the older I've gotten, the more I realize that I am a hypocrite on the issue. Its one of the reasons I've become more and more of an isolationist. We also do have a volunteer army, and I am registered with the Selective Service, so that helps it to weigh on me a little less.

Policy should reflect collective self-interest. Of course that will infringe on individual self-interest, including my own.

Where did he do that?

Seems like he just wants the policy to be different, because in his opinion a different policy would be better for society as a whole

Maybe I should of said, act against their own perception of their self-interest.

Maybe I should of said, act against their own perception of their self-interest.

... I still don't see how this squares with what he said.

Can you point specifically to what DeacFreak said that makes you think he wants people to act against their (own perception of their) self-interest?

Policy should reflect collective self-interest. Of course that will infringe on individual self-interest, including my own.

The day that you don't claim your marriage deduction, then you can ask others not to do so. The day that you wouldvolunteer to send your kid to a public school that needs improvement when there may be better options, then you may ask others to do so.

Its really that simple.

Marriage deduction?

I must have missed that one in tax school.

The day that you don't claim your marriage deduction, then you can ask others not to do so. The day that you wouldvolunteer to send your kid to a public school that needs improvement when there may be better options, then you may ask others to do so.

Its really that simple.

So you want a government run by a bunch of selfish pricks.

Its really that simple.

So, then since you moved away from NC, I look forward to you taking the high ground of no longer commenting in a conversation about education police in NC.

I would try to come up with some political opinion Brasky has that he's a hypocrite about, but I literally cannot remember a single principle he has. All he does it bitch, bitch, bitch about other people's opinions.

So you want a government run by a bunch of selfish pricks.

Huh? No my argument is that it already is.

And all this comes from my own personal belief, that you should never ask someone else to do something you wouldn't do yourself. And my recognition of how incredibly predatory our modern society is. I fucking hate it and attribute a lot of it to the modern thought process that its acceptable to look out for yourself financially, as long as those actions don't directly hurt others. While completely ignoring the indirect effects of your actions.

And I'm just as guilty as anyone else of doing it, and I'm trying to construct my life in a way that will have a more positive total effect on society. I just don't pretend to have morality on my side.

I would try to come up with some political opinion Brasky has that he's a hypocrite about, but I literally cannot remember a single principle he has. All he does it bitch, bitch, bitch about other people's opinions.

He doesn't have very strong opinions; he just likes arguing. It's more fun in person.

I don't understand the argument at all from Brasky. You can want change while not sacrificing your own well being for some pseudo good of the whole. I think that poverty in this country is a horrible thing, but not donating all of my paycheck towards that cause does not make me a hypocrite. Wanting the system of education to change where it benefits those in poverty or at a disadvantage, but as things currently stand doing the best I can to provide an education to my own children does not make me a hypocrite.

He doesn't have very strong opinions; he just likes arguing. It's more fun in person.

I'm definitely much better at having these kind of discussions in person. It comes off as a lot less personal, and I'm able to throw in some self-demaning humor to defuse tense moments.

But yeah I do enjoy taking the contrarian argument on most subjects. There is nothing more boring then a group of people agreeing on something and patting each other on the ass about it. But in this case, I have pretty opinions on the subject.

Townie, I'd say that you and myself have had some pretty solid convos.

I don't see the problem. For example, I don't think the government should subsidize marriage, but I claim that exemption. I would not oppose this policy with the intent of "requiring sacrifice", I would oppose it with intent of improving all schools in a district. I want my kids to go to great schools, but I also want every other kid to go to great schools. I wish we valued education like the most important investment we can make as a country. We don't, but I think it absolutely is.

If you want your kids to go to a better school, take the money you gain from your exemptions and support your kids' schools. If you want other people's children to go to better schools, then take some of the money you gain from exemptions away from your own children's schools and give it to the schools attended by the children of those other people. You don't need to take away other people's exemptions if what you really want is to support better schools. Of course, if what you really want is for other people to pay for your schools' improvements then you will need to lobby your politicians to brutalize other families.

If you want your kids to go to a better school, take the money you gain from your exemptions and support your kids' schools. If you want other people's children to go to better schools, then take some of the money you gain from exemptions away from your own children's schools and give it to the schools attended by the children of those other people. You don't need to take away other people's exemptions if what you really want is to support better schools. Of course, if what you really want is for other people to pay for your schools' improvements then you will need to lobby your politicians to brutalize other families.

So all we need to have better schools is more money in the schools?

More layers of administrators and more lavish athletic facilities would be a plus. Also in-school labor and delivery suites would be helpful so high school girls would not have to interrupt their educations to drop babies.

I would happily pay higher property taxes if Guilford County will invest them in the schools, especially the schools in the poorer areas. I got a NC tax cut this year that I didn't ask for, I would happily pay higher NC states taxes especially if they will devote that money to the schools. Not trying to #humblebrag but when you are a person making decent money advocating for more money spent on schools is tantamount to holding up your hand and volunteering to pay more money.

Your next argument, I suppose, will be that I should voluntarily go over to Irving Park Elementary and fork over some cash if that's the way I feel. I could, but buying a few notebooks or even a few computers isn't going to make much difference in the long run. Pooling my money with every other property owner in Greensboro will make a difference, so I advocate for that to be done. In the meantime, I give (generously) to my own daughter's school. I do that not to make her experience better, because we already make sure she has everything she needs and more. My giving helps some parents in her classroom can't afford to buy their own kids notebooks and pencils and so forth.

Basically, your argument is a giant cop out and an attempt to avoid addressing anything in this thread on the merits. You're trying to duck the policy argument with this red herring that no one has the right to express an opinion on anything until they first - what? Give all their money and assets to try to address the problem first? And then and only then are they allowed to express an opinion? Ridiculous and not worthy of any more of my time.

So nobody should ever accept anything they don't believe should exist, even if it's an area where accepting it has no impact whatsoever on the fact that it does or does not exist?

Back