• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Sports HOF: Childress, Steve Smith, McKillop, Nantz ... Wellman???

Did Wellman ever try to hire McKillop? Seems like the timing was never right but man he would have made a ton of sense and maybe prevented 20 years of misery. Could have still lived at Lake Norman and commuted to W-S.

Did Wellman ever try to hire McKillop? Seems like the timing was never right but man he would have made a ton of sense and maybe prevented 20 years of misery. Could have still lived at Lake Norman and commuted to W-S.
Davidson came here a few times in the early Tony years. His teams were a pleasure to watch and fundamentally solid. [sigh]

Wellman is hated by many Wake fans but well-respected in the industry so it's not shocking at all he compiles all these awards, honors, etc. And our school is never going to badmouth him no matter if the current AD has differing views or not.

Davidson came here a few times in the early Tony years. His teams were a pleasure to watch and fundamentally solid. [sigh]

Yeah I gotta believe McKillop was one of those guys that just wanted to stay at a smaller program. Imagine he had a lot of opportunities to go to big programs.

I have a dinner there in February. I’ll spray paint a wang on his plaque if someone gives me money for bail.

I know many of you people have low regard for Wellman because of the basketball coach hires, but aside from that he did a great job with somewhat limited resources for decades.
perhaps

but he showed zero humility in his efforts to sabotage the basketball program on the way out

a different story if he failed with a little more grace, at least for me

Yeah I gotta believe McKillop was one of those guys that just wanted to stay at a smaller program. Imagine he had a lot of opportunities to go to big programs.
Wake also qualifies as a "smaller program", even though we play on a much bigger stage in the ACC. McKillop would have fit in nicely at Wake, as it gets a small % of the media and fan scrutiny that our ACC brethren in the Triangle receive, which allows a guy with his style/personality to do his thing in building a program in much the manner Odom did.

I know many of you people have low regard for Wellman because of the basketball coach hires, but aside from that he did a great job with somewhat limited resources for decades.
Can you cite specific examples? Basic proficiency at the job he was paid millions to do doesn't count. What is something extraordinary he did that was truly "great"?

Can you cite specific examples? Basic proficiency at the job he was paid millions to do doesn't count. What is something extraordinary he did that was truly "great"?
This question doesn’t really warrant a response. If you’re too stupid too realize that Wake punches miles above its weight then I don’t know what to tell you. Take a look at Wake’s facilities and the tower at the stadium. Did you miss the whole thing with Skip Prosser, Jim Grobe, and Dave Clawson? Did you miss the national championships that we won under Wellman, regardless of who hired the coach? This a hard job and he was recognized as one of the best in the country for quite some time. He trained Currie, Buddie, and Kelly to some extent.

You people owe Ron Wellman and Gene Hooks a huge debt of gratitude for the standing of Wake Forest as an athletic program and their contributions to the university as a whole.

Wellman did so much for Wake, and we shouldn’t disregard that. Unfortunately, for many, Wellman burned his legacy by believing that his shit didn’t smell, hiring Bzd and refusing to acknowledge that he f’d up. Sucks.
This is the way I feel about it.

Did you ever meet him or try and hold a conversation with him? Honest question.

Back