• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Sports HOF: Childress, Steve Smith, McKillop, Nantz ... Wellman???

Wellman was running the AD’s office like the Kremlin. All propaganda and nothing to see here. Never an acknowledgement that he fucked up. He appeared more interested in his spot on all these committees than the fact that Wake’s major sport was failing. Maybe he’s a super guy outside of work but he came across as a prick to most fans and student athletes.

If you want to celebrate his longevity or whatever role he played in conference expansion and keeping WF at the big kids' table (temporarily at least), okay I guess. Those things are extraordinary. Not a lot else was. You don't get extra credit for raising money for facilities or hiring good coaches. Those are part of the job. And the positives are balanced off by the awful lapses in judgment that nearly killed mens' hoops and the contempt he showed for fans and alumni when his judgment was questioned. I don't care whether or not he goes into some HOF but the adulation is baffling.

Wake also qualifies as a "smaller program", even though we play on a much bigger stage in the ACC. McKillop would have fit in nicely at Wake, as it gets a small % of the media and fan scrutiny that our ACC brethren in the Triangle receive, which allows a guy with his style/personality to do his thing in building a program in much the manner Odom did.

Yeah I think he would have made a ton of sense but timing never really lined up as Odom was already at Wake when Wellman came on board. I gotta believe he got a courtesy call in 2001 when Odom was leaving but IIRC- we were going to hire John Beilein as coach from Richmond then Skip called and said he wanted to look at the campus. What’s really sad is that we were considered a great job in 2001. Can’t imagine us getting the Richmond or Xavier coach now. The next time we really had an opening was 2010 and at that point- McKillop was 60 and parked.

If you want to celebrate his longevity or whatever role he played in conference expansion and keeping WF at the big kids' table (temporarily at least), okay I guess. Those things are extraordinary. Not a lot else was. You don't get extra credit for raising money for facilities or hiring good coaches. Those are part of the job. And the positives are balanced off by the awful lapses in judgment that nearly killed mens' hoops and the contempt he showed for fans and alumni when his judgment was questioned. I don't care whether or not he goes into some HOF but the adulation is baffling.
Nearly? Not a knock on Forbes but we've been dead in the water for going on 15 years now. We are completely irrelevant.

This whole debacle will take away from Randolph Childress' induction which is sad. They will be lumped together throughout the process.

This whole debacle will take away from Randolph Childress' induction which is sad. They will be lumped together throughout the process.
As if poor Chill hasn’t been fucked enough by being linked to losers.

Wellman did so much for Wake, and we shouldn’t disregard that. Unfortunately, for many, Wellman burned his legacy by believing that his shit didn’t smell, hiring Bzd and refusing to acknowledge that he f’d up. Sucks.
I go further back than that in the fact that Well-Man did his level best, starting in Duncan’s freshman year to get rid of Odom. Simply because he wanted to hire his own coach. GDO won the first ACC title in 1995 and RW would not give him a contract extension at $500k. So he goes out and wins back-to-back and it costs RW 5 years at $750k per. After his first year at Wake, never had a losing record, brings in the best class in our history (Rogers, Owens, Childress, Blucas, King) that sets the table and continues till he averages 20 wins per season. Even went 19-11 his final season here. Compare that to the years of RW hires of BzMan & Manning who he struggled to get rid of.

Back