• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State game 7:30 Thursday

Put in another way, when was the last time we won straight-up on the road against a +17-19ish spread?

I know going down after the interception at the end was the right move, but I really wanted to run that one back.

Why on earth would State go for it on Wake's 20 on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal to go up 6? Wake was great last night but State made some serious mistakes.

I know going down after the interception at the end was the right move, but I really wanted to run that one back.

Would you really trust Washington to hold onto the ball that long though?

Why on earth would State go for it on Wake's 20 on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal to go up 6? Wake was great last night but State made some serious mistakes.

I guess the previous XP for State spooked Doeren.

Doeren was giving us no chance of marching down field and scoring. He was thinking why risk a blocked FG? Why kick 3 and even give them a chance at scoring 7 to win? I think most good coaches would have made the same call there under those circumstances. He didn't think we'd stop them on 4th and he definitely didn't think that if we did we would string together a long drive with Newman and our banged up offense under that pressure situation.

Their final defensive play was weird. They went in for the blitz and gave up a touchdown instead of playing tough D and forcing us to kick the FG.

Wake has certainly had bigger wins before, but I don't know that I can think of a more complete and total redemption game in virtually every aspect of football.

Obviously you have Newman making his first start ever and coming off a season of nagging injuries. You've got the defense, giving up the fewest points they have to any ACC team (and fewer than they gave up to Rice), gutting it out despite injuries and a fired DC during the season. You have Surratt, coming off only 6 catches in his last 4 games, single-handedly pulling down one of the greatest catches of the year under blanket coverage with only a couple minutes to go till the 4th quarter and 6 points on the board. You have Clawson, recognizing we had to slow the game down at times to keep the defense rested, but picking the right spots to go fast (like right after the Surratt catch) while managing the clock perfectly and not settling for a tying field goal attempt. You have Dortch bouncing back from an early mistake to make critical plays and a beautiful move on a great play call to get us within a field goal. You even had a freshman kicker nail his first career 40+ yarder in swirling wind.

Just a ridiculously satisfying convergence of storylines, and on the road to top it off. Great night for Deac fans.

Put in another way, when was the last time we won straight-up on the road against a +17-19ish spread?

I don't know

however I believe that's our 4th road win over a top-15 team, ever

1946 at #4 Tennessee
1975 at #15 NC State
1979 at #14 UNC
2018 at #14 NC State

Ugh oh I believe that Bachman catch was incomplete watch the ball and the turf towards the end. I can't tell for sure but it looks like he used the ground to push the ball back into is hands

And the reason for posting this "theory" is ..........????!!##??

Facepalm

Their final defensive play was weird. They went in for the blitz and gave up a touchdown instead of playing tough D and forcing us to kick the FG.

Very weird. Contrast that play call with our defensive play call on their 4th down attempt the series before. Our linebackers flash blitz, then drop into zone coverage to take away angles on the short pass route. It was a great call.

Nah dawg we need our midget QB to run 100 plays a game if we're ever gonna win anything - Dave Clawson

That midget quarterback is statistically the best true freshman quarterback we've ever had. I'm proud of Jamie and would love to see him excell but we can't pretend with our luck that we aren't going to need all the help and healthy bodies at qb we can get in Clawson's O. Hoping we can keep them all happy and kept them for the alloted time. If Jamie takes over and makes this his team maybe possibly shirt Hartman next year use Kendall as the back up let Sam play four games as allowed.

Around the time we were pushing our last drive on O, the odds still seemed in favor of us kicking the FG (and then likely losing in OT). I remember thinking at the time that this was a fun game to watch, regardless of the outcome. Both teams dealing with a short week and the injuries that accompany, a decently noisy crowd, primetime weeknight TV, first start for Newman, etc, etc, etc.

Then we fucking won.

Kudos to everyone obviously but also want to give a shout out to Ruggiero. Didn’t stray too far away from our normal game plan but slowed it down enough to give our defense so rest between series.

Someone can prove me wrong with stats if they’d like, I didn’t look before posting this.

I posted this on another thread.

We ran 71 plays, our second fewest of the season behind Rice. We had 435 yards, 5th most after the first three games and Louisville. We averaged 6.1 yards per play, the third best of the season after Towson and Louisville.

Slowing down the pace didn’t hurt our offense and it helped our defense.

From the CBS Sports app write up:

STRATEGY SHIFT
The Demon Deacons are usually one of the fastest-playing teams in the country, averaging more than 85 plays per game. But the quarterback change and the lack of depth on defense forced Clawson to slow things down. They ran only 71 plays in this one. ''If we do what we normally do ... there's no way we hold them to 23 points,'' Clawson said.

Back