• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Game Time - Noon ESPN

Which P5 programs would refuse to even consider Clawson if they needed a new HC?

Which P5 programs would refuse to even consider Clawson if they needed a new HC?

The answer should be none, but never underestimate the arrogance of some fan bases and the feeling they’d never hire a coach from LOWF.

I don’t think Clawson is going to go anywhere. He seems to really love it here and has said numerous times (unprovoked) that he sees this as a destination job. If he continues this success, he knows that he will turn the tide of in-state recruiting. I don’t know if he wants to do another rebuild. With his parents living an hour away, his daughter at Davidson and 6 years getting to know the community, my gut says he wants to stay and build a monster. Ruggiero on the other hand could very well get some consideration for some mid level head coaching jobs. As he should. Dude has been a stud. Hope we can hang onto him as well.

No, it's not. Clawson is a very driven guy and after this season (barring a collapse down the stretch) will be able to coach pretty much anywhere he wants. He and his staff are not going to keep busting their asses to build a winner here if nobody shows up to watch.

I live in the Midwest so it's just not possible for me to attend games on even a semi-regular basis. But no matter where I am, home or traveling, I catch at least part of every game on TV or radio. I am a little baffled by the small crowds this year. In 2006 this was not a problem. Something has changed since then. I am inclined to believe that 2&2 is correct--there is so much ill will toward the basketball situation, and for Wellman's abominable handling of that, that a lot of fans have permanently tuned out.

Clawson will decide to leave for a big program/big money regardless of crowd size.

I am in my seats every week because the few home games we play are a priority to me. I stayed to the end of the state game and stood for the standing ovation the fans gave our team. When the FSU game ended I did bolt out because I was drenched. Not everyone has my devotion and love for this team, but every game I invite someone and take them for the experience. We can build a bigger fan base because we are the only game in town.
When I meet someone new, I always talk about the games and the fun. We can do it.

If Clawson leaves, it's because Gameday won't come to Wake.

Clawson will decide to leave for a big program/big money regardless of crowd size.

Agree. Everything in Clawson’s resume and history shows he loves a challenge, and he will leave for the right opportunity. Crowd size may not matter — he will leave for the opportunity to take a school to the final four and play for a national championship, which realistically he does not have at Wake. He is a competitive SOB, and he has one more move in him. That being said , I think it has to be a top 15 or so program —based on his NE roots, maybe a Penn State for example. May not happen as a major football school is going to have a hard time justifying his overall Wake record— he needs at least two years as a top 25 program.

There’s plenty of perpetual challenge and opportunity for reward right where he is.

If he leaves it will be because of either dissatisfaction with AD personnel or going for a bigger name (traditional powerhouse, fame) or simply more money.

Anyone even thinking about Clawson leaving right now is already in a LOWF mindset. Wake is building a top program here, get on the bus and stop worrying about an accident.

Some dude on Facebook posted Washington has a dreaded high ankle sprain. As tight lipped as Clawson is on injuries I wonder if this dude is just wanted to make like he’s in the know?

He never returned to the game right? I tried to find some info on whether there were any injury concerns that could impact availability next week but didn't see anything. Having the name "Washington" makes searching twitter particularly painful. Love that we had a TE score 3, giving VTech at least 4 receiving threats they need to be worried about.

Wake is a perfect fit for Clawson. With his family situation also see no evidence that he'd want to leave.

He's said that there is no other school like us in the country where you can play Power 5 football and have such small class sizes. He gets it, and uses our uniqueness in recruiting, unlike another coach on staff.

from everything i’ve read, i think the AD is over-emphasizing (short-term) revenues. i’m sure there are other top-down directives at play (eg p&l targets, etc) but all else equal if you believe in the trajectory of your program you should be investing more in growing the fanbase with cheaper tickets and more giveaways, etc. all speculation of course.

Scotty is definitely a Key player but 2 other damn good ones at that position with lots of depth including some touted frosh.. beat the hokies

Probably won't know till the offseason but word on campus is Nolan is in the doghouse...

Suggesting that b-ball is changing fans attitude toward football or any other sport doesn’t work I have had football tix dice 90 and b-ball before that. I did not get season b-ball tix and minimized by Deacon Club giving because of the mess in b-ball and the retention of the Coach. In football, I wanted Clawson and give Ron credit for the right hire there. I drive a little less than four hours to every home game and go to one or two away games every year. I did the same for b-ball for many years. I even told my Deacon Club rep that some like me might be open to a direct football gift. Frankly don’t believe the DC wouldn’t put it in the general fund. If anything the basketball demise has increased my football interest. I also believe that Clawson is Wake’s perfect coach. He talks of being in the final four and believes it could happen here. We have taken great strides in his time here but he is not done. This is a man who went to Williams and understands and uses academics to sell Wake. Now, unlike Grobe, he has the facilities, and is recruiting like crazy. We have a coach, like in many of our non-revenue sports who is a perfect fit. We should pay him and his asst’s what they need and keep moving forward. Let us do that and go 1-0 this week and keep moving forward. Go Deacs! Thanks Coach.

from everything i’ve read, i think the AD is over-emphasizing (short-term) revenues. i’m sure there are other top-down directives at play (eg p&l targets, etc) but all else equal if you believe in the trajectory of your program you should be investing more in growing the fanbase with cheaper tickets and more giveaways, etc. all speculation of course.

What have you read?

Back