• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Hissy Fit

Wild bill

Reaction score
State fans are throwing an absolute hissy fit over their bowl cancellation. Doernan, who apparently is unaware of how things really work, blames the NCAA because UCLA was infested with so much COVID they had to withdraw. While it is unfortunate this happened only hours before kickoff, does he really expect that this creates a special situation? The game was in California, for cryin' out loud and if too many UCLA players tested positive there wasn't going to be a game. Besides, the NCAA had nothing to do with it. The NCAA doesn't control the bowls. State is lucky - they're getting the trophy as if they had played, but the NCAA is not awarding them a win, so they, a la UCF, awarded a win for themselves so they could have that elusive 10-win season. The rumors that UCLA waited to let anyone know of their situation are now largely debunked. Memphis, which found itself in far-off Hawai'i is accepting its fate, but not our friends from Raleigh. They are exhibiting their usual sense of victimhood and claiming a win they did not earn on the field.

I spent enough time around their "fans" at our place in November to realize absolutely NOTHING would surprise me from that fanbase. Some of the most delusional people on planet earth.

I spent enough time around their "fans" at our place in November to realize absolutely NOTHING would surprise me from that fanbase. Some of the most delusional people on planet earth.

They have always been the most delusional fan base in the ACC. Doeren for hereafter should be "9 win Dave."
D
AC

The opt out cost Dorean two bonuses.

No. State has agreed to pay him the bonuses. One for getting to the bowl (arguably justified) and one for winning 10 games, which he didn't. Anyway, it's their money, they can waste it however their fan base desires.

Edit to note: If Doernan had know he would still receive the bonuses, he may not have made such an ass of himself with the rant against the NCAA, which had nothing to do with anything.

I think a hissy fit is justified. It may be misdirected, but it is justified.

Does NCSU get the bowl money?

State and Doeren have every right to be upset. I have found the rants from Doeren refreshingly honest (and quite funny) - definitely not your typical coach speak. Our fanbase would be just as pissed if Texas A&M would have dropped out of the Gator Bowl late tonight or tomorrow morning. And yes, Clawson would have handled it differently.

Last edited:
I mean, it's fun to make fun of State, but do we need to bring up some posts on here reacting to the news A&M pulled out of our game over a week before it was to be played? They have every right to be pissed. Dumb thread.

No. State has agreed to pay him the bonuses. One for getting to the bowl (arguably justified) and one for winning 10 games, which he didn't. Anyway, it's their money, they can waste it however their fan base desires.

Edit to note: If Doernan had know he would still receive the bonuses, he may not have made such an ass of himself with the rant against the NCAA, which had nothing to do with anything.
He'd have still complained publicly. He dgaf and says what he thinks. I don't always agree with him, but appreciate that he fights for his team and isn't afraid to put his opinion out there.

Back