• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA considering freshmen ineligible rule for basketball per 247 Sports

mebanedeac

Reaction score
Since the rule making high school players ineligible for the NBA Draft was implemented in 2005, the one-and-done trend has become quite popular for the nation's top players. Though the NBA has flirted with extending the rule, the NCAA may be taking it upon themselves.

Per CBSSports.com's Jon Solomon, the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors offered 10 ideas for NCAA reform to their colleagues last May, the most relevant of which can be seen below.

"Address the “one and done” phenomenon in men's basketball. If the National Basketball Association and its Players Association are unable to agree on raising the age limit for players, consider restoring the freshman ineligibility rule in men's basketball."

Making freshmen ineligible for the first time since 1972 would drastically change the college basketball landscape, given the sheer number of first-year players who make an immediate impact for their respective teams.

How serious is the NCAA about passing this rule? Well, very serious, according to Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, who claims several other conference commissioners share a similar view regarding one-and-done players.

“I've had conversations with several commissioners about (freshman ineligibility),” Scott said. “We are pushing, and I think you will see much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year.”

Count Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby among those that support the idea.

"I think there's a growing interest in a robust debate, and I think we ought to drag it to the ground and consider it any way we can,” Bowlsby said. “I think it is the one change that could make an absolutely dramatic difference in college athletics.”

The commissioners in favor of the rule change cite "academic reasons," saying players would be better able to focus on classes during their first year of college if they were unable to play in the games. But I have my doubts that this rule would even be seriously discussed if the NBA extended its draft eligibility rule to two years removed from high school, which would deter teams from drafting freshmen as they would have had a year away from competitive basketball.

Since the NBA age limit was changed in 2005, college basketball has been dominated by freshmen. The rule took effect in the 2006 draft and in the nine years since, Blake Griffin was the only No. 1 pick who spent more than one year in college.

Big mistake IMO

Literally no chance this happens at all. This would just incentivize players to go abroad and not go to college at all. This is seriously idiotic.

Wouldn't it still effectively be one and done as far as basketball is concerned for the best players? It's just that the one (season) would be their sophomore year instead of their freshman year.

Sounds like a poor attempt at a power play against the NBA. The NCAA cannot possibly be seriously contemplating sidelining top prospects for a year. That would just be daring prospects to play in Europe or the NBDL, pushing NCAA hoops closer to irrelevancy. The NBA holds all the cards. Laughable attempt by the NCAA here.

This is posturing. Zero chance it would actually happen. Just trying to put some pressure on the NBA to solve the problem themselves.

Lulz, pathetic fail, NCAA

This would pass on a lot of costs to the schools. They would have to give these kids scholarships for five years. It would also make the teams pretty shitty if you only had 13 scholarships to spread out over 5 classes.

How would this work? A kid leaves school, an NBA team drafts him, what does the NCAA do?

Edit: also lol at "academic reasons."

Edit 2: oh, freshman can't play in college? That.... doesn't solve anything.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it still effectively be one and done as far as basketball is concerned for the best players? It's just that the one (season) would be their sophomore year instead of their freshman year.

In a lot of cases it would still be one and done, as the NBA would still draft the kid after his freshman year even if he didn't play. Greg Oden would have gone #1 whether he played a year of college ball or not. So in these extreme cases, which is really the only type of cases that this dumb idea would address, it would be the colleges shooting themselves in the balls because they would put the kid on scholarship for a year only to have him leave without ever playing a game. Or they would just go play in Europe for that year.

It's as if the NCAA doesn't want us to forget how out of touch they are. This is hilariously bad, even if it's a bluff to get the NBA and NBAPA to come up with a 2 year rule that benefits the NCAA and NBA.

They are hesitant to give players at stipend but may support a rule that would force the majority of players into a 5th year of a scholarship?

The "academic reasons" logic applies to every sport. The freshman field hockey recruits can't play either?

The current system allows the coach with some input from the player and family to decide if a freshman plays or not. Why not stick with that?

I guarantee much of this thread was driven by 60+ year old men starting their sentences with "Back in my day..." Nobody younger than 50 remembers when this rule was in play.

Last edited:
I guess there are some antitrust lawyers who would love to take this on.

In other news, the EU heartily endorses this proposed rule change and hails it as the best news it has had in the last 6 months.

Same number of scholarships? If not, who's gonna pay for the extra 'ships needed. When freshmen were ineligible, each school had 15 or 16 scholarships (I forget which).

The idea under current conditions is absurd.

I like it. College basketball fucking SUCKS now and it's the NBAs fault. Time to stick it right back in their faces.

Anything that gets us to, go directly or two years minimum.

Last edited:
Back