• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA considering freshmen ineligible rule for basketball per 247 Sports

Oh hey another elitist who's entire identity is wrapped in the validation he got as a 17 year old.

I'm sure he's not compensating for how unrewarding his life is.

Not all of us are on the slow march to an unfulfilling death. I'd actually like to matter.

#publicschoollivesmatter

Is there a rampant problem of kids not being able to juggle college basketball and academics? Funny, they aren't worried about swimmers and wrestlers and lacrosse players juggling sports and academics as freshmen. This rule is clearly targeted at the dudes good enough to leave after 1 year so they might not have to do well in some bullshit classes that they don't need 2nd semester and it upsets all the OWGs that these guys with more talent than they have can write their own ticket and use the NCAA to their own advantage in the slightest.

I would imagine that all high level athletes put a lot of pressure on themselves, but are the pressures and time constraints on collegiate swimmers the same as basketball players? D1 basketball is really high stakes, I would imagine that pressure does affect the athletes more than what is experienced by non-revenue athletes.
Has the typical D1 basketball recruit come from a similar academic background than the typical D1 swimmer?
If the NCAA really was committed to what it has claimed to be it's mission, this might be a reasonable consideration. However, the NCAA has not earned the benefit of the doubt in these issues, so the criticism is understandable.
I appreciate Brasky offering a different point of view.

#publicschoollivesmatter

Yessir. Only problem is that pretty much every NBA player played at a prep school or private university. Pretending you care about minorities by allowing them to play sports for you so that you get brand recognition, is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Yessir. Only problem is that pretty much every NBA player played at a prep school or private university. Pretending you care about minorities by allowing them to play sports for you so that you get brand recognition, is the name of the game.
What?

Somehow this is your dumbest post on this thread.

This rule would only affect like 8-10 black guys at each school with a basketball program, so it's not exactly the sweeping educational reform that you're making It out to be Brasky

Suggestions for both football and basketball:

abolish red shirting. give players 5 years of eligibility.
pay a stipend to scholarship athletes.
have a contractual agreement that if a scholarship athlete turns pro. before completing 3 years of college competition that player must pay back his scholarship.

I'm just going to throw this out there as an argument. What if the NBA/NCAA went to the draft model that the baseball draft uses?

Basically you can be drafted straight out of high school and go to the minors but, if you decide to go to college, you have to stay until your junior year. Let's say that if a basketball player wanted to go straight out of high school they could enter the D-League draft where he would have to spend a minimum of 3 years before moving up to the NBA. This would protect the NBA teams from being stuck with a Kwame Brown situation and would give those kids time to develop in the D-League. If the kid decides to go to college he'll be there for three years as well, which would boost the college game and provide that education for which Brasky is such an advocate.

Boosting the D-League could be kind of cool too, similar to minor league baseball. The NBA would have to build up a network of teams in cities like Raleigh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore, Louisville, etc.

Anyway, I was just typing this out as I thought about it...not sure if it could actually work or if there would be any real benefit.

Maybe I missed this, but wouldn't this (if the B1G 10 did it only) kill recruiting and the talent level in that conference?

I'm just going to throw this out there as an argument. What if the NBA/NCAA went to the draft model that the baseball draft uses?

Basically you can be drafted straight out of high school and go to the minors but, if you decide to go to college, you have to stay until your junior year. Let's say that if a basketball player wanted to go straight out of high school they could enter the D-League draft where he would have to spend a minimum of 3 years before moving up to the NBA. This would protect the NBA teams from being stuck with a Kwame Brown situation and would give those kids time to develop in the D-League. If the kid decides to go to college he'll be there for three years as well, which would boost the college game and provide that education for which Brasky is such an advocate.

Boosting the D-League could be kind of cool too, similar to minor league baseball. The NBA would have to build up a network of teams in cities like Raleigh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore, Louisville, etc.

Anyway, I was just typing this out as I thought about it...not sure if it could actually work or if there would be any real benefit.

I'd suggest a modification in that, once the person is in the NBDL/NBA system, it is up to the team when to move him up. Baseball has no actual requirements for moving players from minors to majors. Most players aren't ready for the majors right out of HS. A very few are.

Bryce Harper baseball player for the Washington Nationals has an interesting amateur career that might be of interest in this conversation. He got his HS GED after completing his sophomore year in HS, right around his 17th birthday (Oct 2009). He then entered junior college at the time his age peers were entering their junior year in HS. He did one season (spring 2010) in Jr College at the same time his age peers were completing their junior year of HS. He was drafted in spring 2010, signed in August, spent fall 2010 and summer 2011 in the minors, started 2012 in the minors, but was called up in early summer 2012 and never looked back.

Back