• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Thread

The point was that they are pretty similar in talent/performance as last year's team.

This year, they beat #8 Creighton, #16 UMBC, & #5 Kentucky in the NCAAs. They finished 10-8 (4th) in the Big 12 and lost to #1 seed Kansas on Friday in the Big 12 tourney.

Last year, they beat #11 Wake Forest and lost to #6 Cincinnati in the NCAAs. They finished 8-10 (6th) in the Big 12 and lost to #2 seed West Virginia on Friday in the Big 12 tourney.

Obviously, this year is a more successful year... And good for them... But let's not pretend they are a much better team.

my point was that fans of KSU really don't give two shits about relative Kenpom ratings; they're probably just trying to figure out how to get to Atlanta and possibly San Antonio

Now I think it is more likely that Wellman fired Gaudio without having any plan in place. Then as Butler made it's run, he decided to go after Stevens and screwed it up.

Your timing doesn't add up. Butler lost to Duke on April 5th. Wellman fired Dino on April 7th. He hired [Redacted] on April 13th.

Sure, he kicked the tires on Stevens during the tournament. Stevens was never going anywhere. [Redacted] was Wellman's plan all along...he was on campus 6 days after Dino was fired.

my point was that fans of KSU really don't give two shits about relative Kenpom ratings; they're probably just trying to figure out how to get to Atlanta and possibly San Antonio

Of course. And good for them. I'd be psyched, too.

I would say Buddie showing up at Steven's opening round was more like a smokescreen than kicking the tires on interest. Bz was his guy and no one else got any consideration.

Your timing doesn't add up. Butler lost to Duke on April 5th. Wellman fired Dino on April 7th. He hired [name redacted] on April 13th.

Sure, he kicked the tires on Stevens during the tournament. Stevens was never going anywhere. [name redacted] was Wellman's plan all along...he was on campus 6 days after Dino was fired.

Exactly. And even if we don't take that into account, [name redacted] wasn't some reasonable second choice behind Stevens.

It looks like ESPN is ready for ALL tonight's big games with a heavy dose of...

DUKE DUKE DUKE

Kyrie, Grayson, puke and vomit, all over their media.

I would say Buddie showing up at Steven's opening round was more like a smokescreen than kicking the tires on interest. Bz was his guy and no one else got any consideration.

seems like a huge stretch

what's the incentive for pretending to have a different first choice but not announcing it?

if Wellman wanted a smokescreen, he could have leaked a list before the hire

if Buddie was there watching games I have to believe he was genuinely interested in one of the 8 coaches there

FSU is such an interesting case this year.

Hamilton had never been to an Elite 8 before, and I know a number of FSU fans that were done with him after last year.

They lose Bacon, Isaac, and Rathan-Mayes to the NBA and somehow end up as good as last season (w/ a better result in the NCAA tourney). It's not like they brought in any studs this year... MJ Walker was their top recruit he's scored 8 points total in 3 NCAA games. MJ Walker was ranked slightly better than Chaundee Brown, and has had a VERY similar season in terms of minutes and points per game. FSU has just had some more veteran players (Cofer, Mann, Angola-Rodas) step-up into bigger roles w/ much more success than they had in limited roles.

It’s almost as if... never mind. Not even the Wooden-esque Leonard Hamilton, Porter Moser, and Bruce Weber could win with this team.

seems like a huge stretch

what's the incentive for pretending to have a different first choice but not announcing it?

if Wellman wanted a smokescreen, he could have leaked a list before the hire

if Buddie was there watching games I have to believe he was genuinely interested in one of the 8 coaches there

Because what sort of list has Stevens as #1 and [Redacted] as #2? Any list that has [Redacted] higher than #100 has to have him as #1. Insanity or blackmail had to have been involved.

Besides, whether you think we made an honest attempt at Stevens or not, we knew the answer well before Dino was fired. If Wellman didn't just really really really want to hire [Redacted], there was no reason to fire Dino.

Did WF communicate with Stevens' "people" in 2010? Appears to be the case.

That said, cannot still believe anyone thinks Brad Stevens could've been persuaded to come to Wake Forest in 2010.

Brad Stevens was born and raised in Zionsville, Indiana. He wore #31 in HS because his favorite player was Indiana Pacer Reggie Miller. Stevens attended and played hoop at DePauw University in Green Castle, Indiana. At age 23, in 2000, he left his job at Eli Lilly in Indianapolis to get a grad assistant's job at Butler (also in Indianapolis). Stevens was an assistant at Butler for 7 years, when he got the head job at Butler in 2007.

Three years after the WF job was open (13 years into his tenure with the Butler Buldog program), Stevens was still the Butler coach, and he was the hottest name in college basketball. Everyone with an open job made a run at him and offered Stevens whatever he wanted, and he never bit, choosing to stay in Indianapolis until the Celtics called and made an offer he could not refuse in June 2013. Stevens wasn't leaving Butler for WF or any other job even if a school was willing to break the bank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4sR4S74xQ

Last edited:
Mods, can you please ban RJ for spreading lies and misinformation about our Athletic Director. Ron Wellman has a very difficult job and he doesn't need some idiot who gives no money to the Deacon Club and who has attended one weekend of Wake Forest basketball games in the past 25 years making it even more difficult. There is a difference between freely discussing Wake Forest athletics and constantly arguing a false point (or dozens of demonstrably false points at the same time).

Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:
Mods, can you please ban RJ for spreading lies and misinformation about our Athletic Director. Ron Wellman has a very difficult job and he doesn't need some idiot who gives no money to the Deacon Club and who has attended one weekend of Wake Forest basketball games in the past 25 years making it even more difficult. There is a difference between freely discussing Wake Forest athletics and constantly arguing a false point (or dozens of demonstrably false points at the same time).

Thank you for your attention.

I 2nd this...guy cant even make a good canadian joke

Back