• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Thread

It's not even a board myth. It's just something RJ made up last week.

I don't believe Kansas State has one top 100 player on its team. Not many are even in the 100-200 range.

And to think that last year we were in the First Four game with Kansas State.........

I don't believe Kansas State has one top 100 player on its team. Not many are even in the 100-200 range.

Would think this demonstrates that Weber and his staff have a keen eye for talent. On a related note, K State offered Sharone Wright Jr.

what do you think

I don't know. At the time I was hopeful that Wellman was going to go all-in to get Stevens and had reason to believe that he would come here. That was the only thing that made letting Dino go make any sense. But it seems unlikely that he would allow the salary to ruin that plan.

Now I think it is more likely that Wellman fired Gaudio without having any plan in place. Then as Butler made it's run, he decided to go after Stevens and screwed it up.

I don't know. At the time I was hopeful that Wellman was going to go all-in to get Stevens and had reason to believe that he would come here. That was the only thing that made letting Dino go make any sense. But it seems unlikely that he would allow the salary to ruin that plan.

Now I think it is more likely that Wellman fired Gaudio without having any plan in place. Then as Butler made it's run, he decided to go after Stevens and screwed it up.

Or maybe Stevens knew he could do better than Wake in salary, prestige, and difficulty of job. A couple of years later he signed with the Celtics for six years, $22 million.

Or maybe Stevens knew he could do better than Wake in salary, prestige, and difficulty of job. A couple of years later he signed with the Celtics for six years, $22 million.

True. But that doesn't mean that Wellman "low-balled" him.

Wellman’s plan was to hire his buddy. That’s it.

There's a possibility that there will be 3 ACC teams in the Elite Eight without any of them being Duke, UNC, or UVA. Weird tournament.

How does this allegation even make sense? Wake basketball is a multi-million dollar revenue generator and Wellman presides over an even bigger athletic department. Does it make any sense that Wellman would just hire a guy because they were acquaintances and his daughter was at Wake? You don't think he looked at other coaches? It's unquestionable that the hire didn't work out. But contending Wellman just hired his friend seems more conspiracy than fact.

How does this allegation even make sense? Wake basketball is a multi-million dollar revenue generator and Wellman presides over an even bigger athletic department. Does it make any sense that Wellman would just hire a guy because they were acquaintances and his daughter was at Wake? You don't think he looked at other coaches? It's unquestionable that the hire didn't work out. But contending Wellman just hired his friend seems more conspiracy than fact.

Except for the fact that Wellman hired his friend.

Not sure why anyone is buying into revisionist history about WF and Stevens. Wellman may have kicked the tires on Stevens, but Ph is correct. [] was Wellman's guy all along.

BTW, let's get a little context on the 2010 season. Butler went 33-5. They had won 25 straight before losing to Duke in the final seconds in the final. After the 2010 season, Stevens three year record at Butler was 99-15, Butler had made the NCAA all 3 years, including a final 4 and NC game appearance. Stevens was the hottest name in college coaching. Stevens stayed at Butler 3 more years after 2010. Every AD in the country craved Brad Stevens as the next coach and offered him essentially a blank check; yet, he never left Butler and the State of Indiana, his home, until the most storied franchise in the history of the Sport of Basketball offered Stevens a 6 year $22 million deal (which the Celtics have since pumped up.

Brad Stevens was never ever going to leave Butler to coach WF, and anyone claiming that WF low-balled him or otherwise missed out on a negotiating opportunity to land him could not be more wrong.

It's just RJ being RJ nobody takes it seriously

WE are 1-0 against current Elite 8 teams. Put's us at #1 in the country for those doing the math.

Man, I hope they can get to #29 so that they will have a better year than last year!!

The point was that they are pretty similar in talent/performance as last year's team.

This year, they beat #8 Creighton, #16 UMBC, & #5 Kentucky in the NCAAs. They finished 10-8 (4th) in the Big 12 and lost to #1 seed Kansas on Friday in the Big 12 tourney.

Last year, they beat #11 Wake Forest and lost to #6 Cincinnati in the NCAAs. They finished 8-10 (6th) in the Big 12 and lost to #2 seed West Virginia on Friday in the Big 12 tourney.

Obviously, this year is a more successful year... And good for them... But let's not pretend they are a much better team.

Back