• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ncaa tourney thread--the refs fubar

From a certain point of view, dook owes this natty championship to Wake for having helped rat face find Allen who was buried deep down the bench.

As a Ted Cruz/Joffrey love child, he was bound to rise to the role of most hated dookie.

The W-S market is starved for good basketball- have not seen for 5 years running now. :mad:

How did they not see it during the review, but he saw it after they left?

Was someone purposefully feeding (or not feeding) certain replays to the officials?

Even at home it took a while to see the close-up, slow-motion replay that showed it clearly. the first few times they showed it you could not tell for sure. I guess they didn't get that best view to the monitor for the officials in time.

Duke/Wiscy was the most viewed Championship game since 1998 and was up 33% over last year's UConn/Kentucky game. Top markets for the game were:

1. Milwaukee – 42.2/59
2. Raleigh-Durham – 36.2/54
3. Louisville – 33.5/48
4. Columbus – 29.9/44
5. Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem – 29.5/43

Tobacco Road representing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/duke-wisconsin-championship-draws-largest-tv-rating-in-18-years-161719241.html

Louisville seems to always be on these lists.

OWG strategy on this thread (and the boards in general):

1. Wait to figure out what consensus opinion seems to be.
2. Ardently defend the opposite

Hi everybody - hope you are all doing well (except Wrangor). Just wanted to put this here. https://vine.co/v/eBraBMph2aQ

Game was a joke.

Go Wake.

I just can't get over how worked up folks are getting over some of these calls. A few were really bad, I get it. That is true of about every game.
But, for instance, this Vine shows three plays.

The drive by Winslow was a terrible call and should have been a charge on Winslow - he was out of control and "euro-stepped" right into the defender. Not sure how an official does not call it that way.

The other two, though? On the shot by Jones, he was moving fast toward the baseline and stopped and went up for the shot - the defender continued and ran into him as he shot - did Jones angle backwards and help initiate the contact, of course. But, that is going to be called a foul on the defender 100% of the time and to think otherwise is delusional.

And on Winslow's drive, yes his foot touched the line and he should have been called out of bounds. But, he was out by about 1/4 of an inch and it is easy to see how the official could have missed that. It was not an egregious miss.

If these calls had gone against Wake I probably would have been worked up to. But, as an impartial observer, they are just part of the game.

BobKnightFan said:
The the top two players in the nation were playing in that game....one on each team. The one on Duke's team was saddled with fouls thruout the game and only played 22 minutes...scoring only 10 points. And while this was going on, Wisconsin built a 9-point lead with 13 minutes left in the game.

And it was the referees' fault that Duke won the game? Cry me a river.

OWG strategy on this thread (and the boards in general):

1. Wait to figure out what consensus opinion seems to be.
2. Ardently defend the opposite

Emphasis added.

I just can't get over how worked up folks are getting over some of these calls. A few were really bad, I get it. That is true of about every game.
But, for instance, this Vine shows three plays.

The drive by Winslow was a terrible call and should have been a charge on Winslow - he was out of control and "euro-stepped" right into the defender. Not sure how an official does not call it that way.

The other two, though? On the shot by Jones, he was moving fast toward the baseline and stopped and went up for the shot - the defender continued and ran into him as he shot - did Jones angle backwards and help initiate the contact, of course. But, that is going to be called a foul on the defender 100% of the time and to think otherwise is delusional.

And on Winslow's drive, yes his foot touched the line and he should have been called out of bounds. But, he was out by about 1/4 of an inch and it is easy to see how the official could have missed that. It was not an egregious miss.

If these calls had gone against Wake I probably would have been worked up to. But, as an impartial observer, they are just part of the game.

It's a Vine -- limited time to show the full extent of the screwjob (but it was four plays)

I've been to a good number of reffing clinics (not as many as TheReff I'm sure) and it's generally never acceptable to miss an out of bounds call if the player steps out. Either you're in bad position and missed it, or just didn't see it (which means you missed it). Sure there are times where you get blocked out and are actually in solid position but it certainly didn't seem like that sort of situation in the play we're talking about.

It's a Vine -- limited time to show the full extent of the screwjob (but it was four plays)

You're right, I forgot the fourth play - but that was the out of bounds they screwed up on the replay and we have already discussed that one to death. They missed it but somehow did not have the best view during replay.

I've been to a good number of reffing clinics (not as many as TheReff I'm sure) and it's generally never acceptable to miss an out of bounds call if the player steps out. Either you're in bad position and missed it, or just didn't see it (which means you missed it). Sure there are times where you get blocked out and are actually in solid position but it certainly didn't seem like that sort of situation in the play we're talking about.

I guess what I was saying was that he was just barely on the line which means that if the official did not have the perfect angle and a perfectly clear view it would be easier to miss than if he was out by a lot more.

LOL

I guess what I was saying was that he was just barely on the line which means that if the official did not have the perfect angle and a perfectly clear view it would be easier to miss than if he was out by a lot more.

Yeah, this. Mentioned on the other thread, the only reason we know he was barely out is because there were 100000 camera angles for the Final Four

Back