• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ncaa tourney thread--the refs fubar

I missed the game (wife hit a deer) so I can't comment on the calls.
Wisconsin shouldn't complain because they got to the championship game when Kentucky got hosed by the reffs.

I missed the game (wife hit a deer) so I can't comment on the calls.
Wisconsin shouldn't complain because they got to the championship game when Kentucky got hosed by the reffs.

I feel like this post buries the lead. Is she alright?

Good to hear. Saw a car in front of me hit a deer in Winston many years ago. Never gotten the image out of my head.

You're right, I forgot the fourth play - but that was the out of bounds they screwed up on the replay and we have already discussed that one to death. They missed it but somehow did not have the best view during replay.

During this past week at lunch we discussed this many times and one of the guys works many games with all these replays. Basically they all use DV Sports for all the precision timing and replays in NCAA tournaments. For regular season stuff, like our games in the LJVM you might have only 4-7 replay cameras or views, but for the NCAA tourney there were always 18 different cameras. They were not and have not been connectd to what we see on any of the TV stuff on CBS, TBS or whatever. They might be similar but are not what we are seeing at home regardless of what Jim Nantz or Jay Bilas are saying.

In the key review in the last minute or so of the Duke game, they looked at 9 different angles and did not see the Winslow tip.
It was there later, but not until they had already left the table and gone back to put the ball in play. John Adams, head of NCAA basketball officials said he then saw it after they had gone back into their positions, thought about buzzing down to the table to bring them back to look at the angles we all saw, but that was against all replay protocols in the rule books for this year, and decided against it. [we all know how the talking heads like Bilas, Gottfried and the rest absolutely hate long reviews. Well here a little longer review & seeing the 10th or 11th replay angle could have changed the outcome of the game because Winslow did tip the ball]

But what the talking heads have never done is talk to the mens officials about what they see when they are doing the reviews at the table. My buddy that works games for the ACC and other major conferences that all use this same replay system said they do not always come up in a "timely" fashion, come up with the looks you need to make a quick decision and sometimes even come in with a TV commercial instead of the bball play. In their pregame conference where they talk to the scorer, timer and other table folks, they also talk with the replay folks and go over how many cameras they have that night and what angles they are going to have.

So while many seem to go over way too much and look at everything under the sun to get TV time, sometimes these reviews take way too long because of other problems--like not getting the angles they need to make a decision. We at home and at the game want them quick so we can get the game going. They just want to get them correct while not standing over there waiting too long themselves.

Last edited:
Back