• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ncaa tourney thread--the refs fubar

Ryan came off like a bitch

Gotta handle your business better than that

Yes Ryan did. Came off like a sore loser. Dekker was 6-15 shooting & 0-6 from 3 point range. He just picked a bad night to have a bad night after being the bomb during the entire NCAA tourney. Total fouls were 15-13 but I didn't see Bo crring when he only had 2 total at the end of the first half! He had Duke in foul trouble and just didn't take advantage of it. Kaminsky missed a couple of crips and started going back outside to shoot. Duke meanwhile went to the hole in the second half where you do force the officials to blow the whistle.

Ryan just got outcoached by K, as is per usual. Then comes off as a whiner.

Bobby Knight Coach K
902 Wins 1018 Wins
11 Conference Championships 13 Conference Championships
5 Final Fours 12 Final Fours
3 NCAA Championships 5 NCAA Championships
1 Puerto Rican Assault Conviction 0 Puerto Rican Assault Convictions
1 Chair Thrown 0 Chairs Thrown
1 African-American player "whipped" 0 African-American players "whipped"
1 player choked 0 players choked
1 plant thrown at secretary 0 plants thrown at secretaries

54952782.jpg

I don't think there's any argument that can be made that K isn't the best modern coach in NCAA basketball. Hell, you could even argue best in NCAA history. People will immediately respond with Wooden, but he won 10 Championships in 41 games, K has won 5 in 30 games. Both have the same number of Final Fours IIRC. Hell of a lot more difficult when you play more games each tournament.

But Knight is further down the list from either.

It's at least a point worth discussing now.

Duke meanwhile went to the hole in the second half where you do force the officials to blow the whistle.

why are the officials forced to blow the whistle. who is making them do so. they don't have to.

why are the officials forced to blow the whistle. who is making them do so. they don't have to.

Blowing the calls is a bigger problem than blowing the whistles. But for a lot of these refs the two just seem naturally to go together.

Our Reff, on the other board before the final four called the refs working the final four some of the finest refs in the business. You saw the tournament, and you saw the quality of the officiating. Now, either one or both of the following statements is true: 1. our Reff is crazy as a loon; 2. college basketball officiating simply stinks.

It's at least a point worth discussing now.

Of course entirely different eras. Wooden won a lot of championships when there was only a couple of rounds and lots of bye's for top seeds. They also won in an era of true regions (i.e. the west was filled with west coast team no matter the depth of a region).

For kaye, ESPN was founded in 1979, just before kaye started at dook in 1980. By time ESPN started covering the NCAA tourney, in 1982 and then becoming the largest cable network in 1983, dook was positioned for making it's run to the final 4 in 1986. Having unprecedented media exposure have given dook a recruiting advantage that Wooden never had.

It would be very interesting to see how many dook games have been televised nationally over the years. Yes they had to win to get that exposure but they did it in an era of media exposure that allowed them to leverage that success in a way Wooden could never do.

“I saw it after they had left the monitor, and actually thought about, is it in my prerogative to get up, run over to the table, buzz the buzzer, and tell them to come back and look?” Adams said. “That’s how critical I thought the play was and concluded that this is a job for the guys on the floor. I’ve never done it before. Why would I do it tonight and perhaps change the balance of the game?

As opposed to doing nothing and perhaps change the balance of the game allowing the incorrect call to stand?

How did they not see it during the review, but he saw it after they left?

Was someone purposefully feeding (or not feeding) certain replays to the officials?

How many billion dollars is the NCAA paid (and the players not paid) to have the right technology to get these calls right?

Based on what he said, it seems it was within the rules for him to bring the officials back and have them look at the new video footage. Instead he sees a correctable error and decides it would be better to tell everyone that his official got it wrong because they didn't see the same video he did.

What are the rules here for officiating? Obviously a fan or announcer could not notify the officials, but could the head of officials do so? The officials would still have to make the decision based on the new evidence.

so the head official knows the wrong call is about to be made but lets it slide so as not to erroneously(?) or improperly(?) influence the game? uhhh...

----------------------------------------

btw for those who said I shouldn't be pulling for duke when I mentioned i thought it was better for the ACC (and by extension WFU) if Duke won, i was taking intellectually... as soon as the ball was tipped i realized emotionally I was 4 wisc all the way.

The NCAA has successfully evolved into an institution that manages to do the wrong thing virtually every time. I think maybe bkf is right that this is due to 100% preoccupation with money

How did they not see it during the review, but he saw it after they left?

Was someone purposefully feeding (or not feeding) certain replays to the officials?

The video shown on the jumbotron to all the fans is not the same as the video the refs are viewing at the scorer's table.

Oh sure.

But Duke also in a very Duke fashion got a weak Final Four matchup, then got Wisconsin post Kentucky upset, then got Refs to call fouls on the team who lead the nation in fewest fouls

Wisconsin may have played like shit in the final few mins, but Dukes whole final four weekend was quintessential Duke. And I hate it

THIS.

Back