• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ncaa tourney thread--the refs fubar

Fischer looked quicker than I remember. Bulkier, too.

Haws has the radar.

I like Collinsworth skill set. He can ball.

Obvious adjustment by Kennedy coming out for the 2nd half to have guards to drive the lane. Ole Miss much stronger.

Nice to see Hampton get a tourney win. Though I tend to doubt they'll win their next game.

I still think Chaminade over UVA was a bigger upset. You can't really compare an NAIA team beating the best team in the country to another D1 team beating another D1 team. That being said, the fact that this is in the tournament and that was (basically) a preseason game would put it in a special category.

Yeah, I think when you combine the narrative and the relative importance of the tournament, Hampton over UK might be bigger.

Excited to watch UNF tonight. Took summer classes there. Go Ospreys!

Yeah, I think when you combine the narrative and the relative importance of the tournament, Hampton over UK might be bigger.

Definitely would be, and it's not even close because of the NCAA Tournament. Kentucky has the best shot of going undefeated in the last 24 years, and could be the 1st team to go 40-0. A Hampton win destroys all of that, and eliminates the champion on 1/2 the brackets out there.

UVA was just enjoying being in Hawaii for Christmas and got beaten on Chaminade's home court because they weren't ready to play. It had no lasting effects as they ended up as a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament that year.

can anyone please explain to me how they select the playin game teams?

why are there not 4 playin games for the 16 seeds?

The 2 11 seed games are the final 4 at-large teams to make the field.

#1. It wasn't fair to the auto bids to put eight of them in the play-in games, meaning that four of them would not make the actual tournament.
#2. Since the bubble teams are the last ones chosen to be in, they should have to prove that they belong in the field of 64.
#3. The bet was made that more people would watch a couple of #11/12 seeds (most likely power conference teams with large fanbases) than a couple of #16 seeds, which are often schools that no one would even consider watching in any other circumstance.

as per #1. arent the playin games involving the 16 seeds all teams that won their conference tournies and thus 2 of them wont make the real tourney?

as per #1. arent the playin games involving the 16 seeds all teams that won their conference tournies and thus 2 of them wont make the real tourney?

True, but while #3 is the overriding factor, those power conferences also did not want to have all their bubble teams banished to the play-in games. Thus, compromise.

that makes sense i guess. now I'm just stuck with how they select the teams playing in the playin games for the 16 seeds? are they the worst 4 teams in the tournament?

UVA was just enjoying being in Hawaii for Christmas and got beaten on Chaminade's home court because they weren't ready to play. It had no lasting effects as they ended up as a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament that year.

Hadn't UVA just been in Tokyo as well and had some people sick or hurt?

Definitely would be, and it's not even close because of the NCAA Tournament. Kentucky has the best shot of going undefeated in the last 24 years, and could be the 1st team to go 40-0. A Hampton win destroys all of that, and eliminates the champion on 1/2 the brackets out there.

That is all true but if you are just talking about talent gap Chaminade had a wider gap to cover than Hampton (both are vast).

Back