• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA will allow athletes to make money

Good for NCAA football video games! Could be bad for WF recruiting.

Why? Those players were already going to the schools you’re afraid they were going to go to.

It probably won’t hurt football but there was a time when this could’ve impacted Bball heavily and could do so again.

doesn't necessarily pave the way for the game to come back unfortunately. i thought it would but learning otherwise. EA would have to pay every player individually or have the players organize into a collective group.

damnit

State legislatures forced this on the NCAA with the thought of helping the exploited college athlete. For the most part, this is going to line the pockets of the college players (Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Tua, Zion) who are going to get wildly rich anyway as soon as they turn pro. Not much is going to trickle down to the 2nd string OT at any D-1 school even at a program like Bama or LSU. Certainly not for the vast majority of D-1 players even in the big money sports like football and basketball.

... and I'm sure no 5-star QB recruit at Bama or UGA will ever be introduced to the alum who happens to own about 50 car dealerships. NO. That would be against the "rules".

...from endorsements, appearance fees. Only ~35 years behind the Olympics
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/finall...s-to-make-money-on-their-names-142306697.html

Now let's get a new NCAA football game made!

Good for NCAA football video games! Could be bad for WF recruiting.

Playing NCAA Football 22 next summer on the PS5 would be pretty sweet, but doesn't look like it will happen.

Last edited:
... and I'm sure no 5-star QB recruit at Bama or UGA will ever be introduced to the alum who happens to own about 50 car dealerships. NO. That would be against the "rules".

Why can't he be the spokesperson for that dealership? They could a cattle call audition for a day and pick him over everyone else.

State legislatures forced this on the NCAA with the thought of helping the exploited college athlete. For the most part, this is going to line the pockets of the college players (Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Tua, Zion) who are going to get wildly rich anyway as soon as they turn pro. Not much is going to trickle down to the 2nd string OT at any D-1 school even at a program like Bama or LSU. Certainly not for the vast majority of D-1 players even in the big money sports like football and basketball.

I believe there should be a revenue stream to participants in some but feel it should be pooled for the team. Then if you want to give the bkb individual whose likeness is used 2-3 shares of the Team pool and fball maybe 10 shares of 100 share pool, that's cool. But to have the QB/WR skilled guy get $$$$ and the OL gets ¢¢, there will be other consequences. Team sports mean in it together.

I believe there should be a revenue stream to participants in some but feel it should be pooled for the team. Then if you want to give the bkb individual whose likeness is used 2-3 shares of the Team pool and fball maybe 10 shares of 100 share pool, that's cool. But to have the QB/WR skilled guy get $$$$ and the OL gets ¢¢, there will be other consequences. Team sports mean in it together.

Team sports never mean that. They never have. Even in college. Coaches are rarely landing helicopters at high schools for OGs. How many linemen are getting sent to NYC on Heisman invites? Just look at pro contracts in every sport.

Ticket prices just went up.

You should actually read the rule change.

Ticket prices were already going up. If you don’t want ticket prices to go up then be against coaching salary inflation.

I'm all in favor of every player/student/whoever getting paid for their worth and/or value, but I can see this thing being a disaster for other than the most elite of the elite programs, and even amongst them only those with the larger, more rabid fan bases. For example K has been killing Roy on the recruiting trail for years, but if there is serious $$ in ILN, who do you think "wins" those recruiting battles? The sponsors of ILN's will be car dealers, bbq restaurant owners, etc. who want to be up close/personal to the program and players, i.e. "jock sniffers": while UNC has tons of alums (and alums of other schools who still bleed baby blue) who would love to have a player hang around the car lot for a day and/or to put him on a billboard with a plate of 'que, what Duke lawyer/doctor/investment banker is going to want to do the same? Outside of a single-name guy like "Zion", a Cole Anthony even sidelined in a boot would have infinite more opportunities than a Tre Jones, and don't think that Roy won't figure out a way to convey that "within the rules".
And that example is just amongst the most visible, high-profile programs: anybody want to speculate who would have more opportunities to "cash in" on their image: Sam Hartman, or the "left tackle-whose-name-escapes me, but is the key to protecting his buddy, all-world Sam Howell"? We can only hit Don Flow up so many times.
And again, this coming from somebody who is fine with "getting what's yours", but this may blow the whole thing up if not managed properly and with some level of common sense to it, which is not a strong-suit of the NCAA.

Because of this the NBA may be forced to pay all the HS players full bore NBA salaries rather than the tiered plan that they were planning. If there's no stigma for top playing going to college, KY could easily come up with "opportunities" for incoming players to net $500K or more. UCLA and USC could get recruits that amount from the entertainment industry. Other schools could find ways as well.

I'm all in favor of every player/student/whoever getting paid for their worth and/or value, but I can see this thing being a disaster for other than the most elite of the elite programs, and even amongst them only those with the larger, more rabid fan bases. For example K has been killing Roy on the recruiting trail for years, but if there is serious $$ in ILN, who do you think "wins" those recruiting battles? The sponsors of ILN's will be car dealers, bbq restaurant owners, etc. who want to be up close/personal to the program and players, i.e. "jock sniffers": while UNC has tons of alums (and alums of other schools who still bleed baby blue) who would love to have a player hang around the car lot for a day and/or to put him on a billboard with a plate of 'que, what Duke lawyer/doctor/investment banker is going to want to do the same? Outside of a single-name guy like "Zion", a Cole Anthony even sidelined in a boot would have infinite more opportunities than a Tre Jones, and don't think that Roy won't figure out a way to convey that "within the rules".
And that example is just amongst the most visible, high-profile programs: anybody want to speculate who would have more opportunities to "cash in" on their image: Sam Hartman, or the "left tackle-whose-name-escapes me, but is the key to protecting his buddy, all-world Sam Howell"? We can only hit Don Flow up so many times.
And again, this coming from somebody who is fine with "getting what's yours", but this may blow the whole thing up if not managed properly and with some level of common sense to it, which is not a strong-suit of the NCAA.

You’re describing nothing that’s not already happening. Just look at social media, Sam is getting promoted more than the OL. That’s football.

Here’s a little secret you might want to be sitting down for, duke is already paying their players. They have been for years.

This will benefit the more successful programs with bigger fan bases for sure, but the old system also benefited more successful programs with bigger fan bases.

The idea that paying players will somehow create a hellscape where all the best FB players go to Alabama has always struck me as so silly.

You’re describing nothing that’s not already happening. Just look at social media, Sam is getting promoted more than the OL. That’s football.

Here’s a little secret you might want to be sitting down for, duke is already paying their players. They have been for years.

This will benefit the more successful programs with bigger fan bases for sure, but the old system also benefited more successful programs with bigger fan bases.

The idea that paying players will somehow create a hellscape where all the best FB players go to Alabama has always struck me as so silly.

Being 100% honest, though I've read/heard for years about how Duke keeps players eligible academic-wise, I've never heard that they pay their players. Interested to hear more, i.e. where the $$ comes from, is K involved or at least aware, etc. Also interested to know if Wake pays its players, and if so do you think we got "out-bid" for Giles at the last minute.

Back