• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need some help from the Pit

iodeac

Reaction score
Hello errybody, this morning I found out my wallet was stolen, I'm pretty sure it was sometime last night. Someone broke into my car and stole my wallet as well as about $15 cash in the console. My ID, SSN Card, and credit cards were in there as well as some other stuff that's less important. They already charged some stuff to both my credit and debit cards, so I called both banks and cancelled them. Wells Fargo wants me to contact the merchant where the debit card was used (Walmart in Rock Hill, SC) and let them know of the fraudulent charges, whereas BOA is taking care of that themselves for the credit card part. Is there anything else I need to do? I already got a temporary debit card while my real one gets mailed, and I'm going to the Seventh Circle of Hell aka the DMV later today to get a new license.

I'm particularly worried about them having my SSN card since I don't know the implications of that, but since they bought a bunch of crap at Walmart I'm guessing they're not sophisticated criminals.

Thanks! Thieves are the scum of the earth.

If I were in your shoes, I'd freeze my credit. Probably just some junkie that stole your shit, but they could possibly sell your info to someone that knows what they are doing. Doesn't cost anything to freeze.

Also, you can probably get a new license online but I'm not 100% sure on that. Avoid mingling with the poorz.

I'm gonna assume you filed a police report? If they went to Walmart you should be able to get the guy on camera. Police might already know the person. Happened to a friend in Boston and they picked him up a day later. Still had all his IDs.

They used the cards in Rock Hill which is about 50 miles from my house. The officer said there wouldn't be much sense in filing a report unless I needed it for dispute purposes.

I think you can get a new license online, but I was concerned about having to drive around without one in the meantime. I'll look into it

They used the cards in Rock Hill which is about 50 miles from my house. The officer said there wouldn't be much sense in filing a report unless I needed it for dispute purposes.

I think you can get a new license online, but I was concerned about having to drive around without one in the meantime. I'll look into it

Just do it online. NC no longer gives you your license when you go to the dmv. It's mailed just like if you do it online. Both give you a printout of a temporary license.

Thanks!

Lame tags so far guise. I expected better.

That happened to me a few years ago and I called the credit card company and was able to pin down the exact time the guy tried to use my card to buy gas. The gas station attendant ID'd his car and we had him busted within 24 hours. You might as well go ahead and try to track the guy down, most cops don't waste time on little crap like this.

Definitely freeze your credit. Someone with you SSN card can do a lot of damage if they know what they are doing.

Reminder to everyone: Never carry around you SSN card with you. It should be somewhere safe at home.

Unless you get pulled over weekly, I wouldn't worry about it. And, even if you do, they're not going to lock you away for driving the day after your license was stolen.

Also, as mentioned, carrying your SSN card is bad practice.

Unless you get pulled over weekly, I wouldn't worry about it. And, even if you do, they're not going to lock you away for driving the day after your license was stolen.

Also, as mentioned, carrying your SSN card is bad practice.

How would they know his license was stolen if he doesn't file a report?

Much better job on the tags. I took my dog to Belmont yesterday afternoon and I think in the confusion once I got home I must have forgotten to take my wallet out of my car. The SSN card in the wallet was definitely a derp move, obviously I'm kicking myself over it now

What a lazy POS. He just didn't want to do the work. I'd be damn sure to file a report, especially knowing that WalMart has cameras and those transactions can be traced quite easily.

Much better job on the tags. I took my dog to Belmont yesterday afternoon and I think in the confusion once I got home I must have forgotten to take my wallet out of my car. The SSN card in the wallet was definitely a derp move, obviously I'm kicking myself over it now
Did you leave your wallet in plain sight or did they have to dig to find it? Did anyone else's car get broken into along with yours?

With the SSN out there, you really need to cover the waterfront. And for crying out loud don't ever carry around your SS card. Sorry to pile on, but bears repeating. I have the cards for every member of my family in a lock box.

That's not fair, Chill. I'm sure he had to park on a moderately busy street and pull people over for speeding.

Did you leave your wallet in plain sight or did they have to dig to find it? Did anyone else's car get broken into along with yours?

They probably had to dig to find it. The car was in our driveway and was unlocked (we usually don't lock our cars when they're in our driveway). I think they went through Mrs I/O's car but didn't find anything. Not sure about my neighbors' cars, haven't had a chance to talk to them since they're away.

Thanks for the info on freezing credit, just did it through Experian and it was super easy. I wonder if there's anything else precautionary I should do?

Just go back to the hooker who stole it and pay her the money you owe.

That's not fair, Chill. I'm sure he had to park on a moderately busy street and pull people over for speeding.

The town police are definitely tryhards when it comes to camping and waiting for speeders to come through.

How would they know his license was stolen if he doesn't file a report?

They wouldn't...you would tell them. They're not going to lock you up. Cops write warnings every day for silly stuff like this (for white people like IODeac :thumbsup:). Expired tags, left your license at home, etc.

Not to pile on, but why even carry your SSN card? Most people have theirs memorized though I can understand if younger generations don't since it's become such a risky thing. But it's not like you'll encounter an entity that asks to see your SSN card anymore. Hell, when anyone asks for my SSN I either tell 'em to fuck off or zero-out the field.

Back