• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need some help from the Pit

No idea. I probably stuck it in there a long time ago and never bothered to remove it. I had lots of cards in there so I can't even remember what was in there and what wasn't.

stuffed-costanza-wallet.png

They used the cards in Rock Hill which is about 50 miles from my house. The officer said there wouldn't be much sense in filing a report unless I needed it for dispute purposes.

I think you can get a new license online, but I was concerned about having to drive around without one in the meantime. I'll look into it

That officer was being a lazy fuck. You absolutely file the report, and you most likely WILL need it to dispute charges with your banks.

I wonder if I would have better luck calling the police dept in the city where the store is, rather than my local PD?

I wonder if I would have better luck calling the police dept in the city where the store is, rather than my local PD?

The crime, or at least the initial one, occurred where your car was. See Karma's post for what to do next.

They wouldn't...you would tell them. They're not going to lock you up. Cops write warnings every day for silly stuff like this (for white people like IODeac :thumbsup:). Expired tags, left your license at home, etc.

:confused:

Sorry officer. I didn't know I couldn't do that.

They probably had to dig to find it. The car was in our driveway and was unlocked (we usually don't lock our cars when they're in our driveway). I think they went through Mrs I/O's car but didn't find anything. Not sure about my neighbors' cars, haven't had a chance to talk to them since they're away.

Thanks for the info on freezing credit, just did it through Experian and it was super easy. I wonder if there's anything else precautionary I should do?

you don't lock your car?

Not to pile on but why would you not lock your car? It takes 0.2 seconds to push a button and you're done. Prevents random folks looking for an easy score from grabbing your change/wallet/CD's/IPod/etc. You can't prevent everything, but you can at least make it harder for people to rob you.

Hope things turn out ok for you. Hopefully lesson learned and nothing much harmed in the process.

Not to pile on but why would you not lock your car? It takes 0.2 seconds to push a button and you're done. Prevents random folks looking for an easy score from grabbing your change/wallet/CD's/IPod/etc. You can't prevent everything, but you can at least make it harder for people to rob you.

Hope things turn out ok for you. Hopefully lesson learned and nothing much harmed in the process.

Lesson learned. Always lock my car when I'm driving somewhere. Never really thought much about locking it in my own driveway. I live in a neighborhood with only one outlet so surely you might be able to understand why someone might have a false sense of security about leaving their car unlocked in the driveway. We've lived here for almost 8 years.

Not in my own driveway! (Until tonight)

In related news, I might not be sleeping for a while

It's a rando, probably even an older neighborhood kid, who checks for unlocked doors. There's no gang of armed, methed up robbers running around your neighborhood stealing wallets and cell phones from cars. That's just life most anywhere besides rural America. If it's easy, it will eventually get taken.

That happened to me a few years ago and I called the credit card company and was able to pin down the exact time the guy tried to use my card to buy gas. The gas station attendant ID'd his car and we had him busted within 24 hours. You might as well go ahead and try to track the guy down, most cops don't waste time on little crap like this.

they're far too busy worrying about even littler crimes like traffic infractions.

pretty obvious the people who did this were/are pretty unsophisticated, so that should be a comfort. they're assholes for taking things like library cards and rewards cards, and driver license (unless they looked like you)..they are useless to anyone but their owner, and a great way to prove that you've stolen something if you do get caught.

Last edited:
Back