• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need some help from the Pit

Honestly, the dumbest thing you did was not the failure to lock your car. If someone really wanted your stuff, it takes mere seconds to bust the window out and take it.

By far the dumbest thing was carrying your social security card in your wallet. You basically gave someone a starter kit for complete identity theft.

According to this NY Times article, you need to freeze your credit with each of the three major bureaus. If somebody tries to open a credit card under your name, I don't think it will help you if only Experian declines to give out your credit history.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/y...-against-the-theft-of-personal-data.html?_r=0

Thanks...I just activated a 90-day fraud alert through TransUnion where I will be contacted first if someone tries to open an account using my info. As a courtesy, they also reach out to Experian and Equifax to notify them.

Honestly, the dumbest thing you did was not the failure to lock your car. If someone really wanted your stuff, it takes mere seconds to bust the window out and take it.

By far the dumbest thing was carrying your social security card in your wallet. You basically gave someone a starter kit for complete identity theft.

Yep, I totally get that. It didnt't really occur to me that it was in there, just one of those things I forgot about because I didn't see it every day.

they're far too busy worrying about even littler crimes like traffic infractions.

pretty obvious the people who did this were/are pretty unsophisticated, so that should be a comfort. they're assholes for taking things like library cards and rewards cards, and driver license (unless they looked like you)..they are useless to anyone but their owner, and a great way to prove that you've stolen something if you do get caught.

Yeah, instead of standing in the driveway and going through your wallet and making sure you get to keep your library card, VIC card, Jersey Mike's Card, and Panera Bread Card, with their fingerprints on them, they just took the whole wallet and figured they'd sort it out later. What a bunch of Buttheads. I really expected more of thieves.

I don't even have a social security card. I lost it many years ago and have never needed it for anything. I know the number, obviously. Will there ever come a time when I have to have it? Like when I am ready to start collecting SS (assuming there is any left to collect) would I have to actually have the physical card at that point? Just a random question that this thread reminded me of...

Just from going through the SSA website, it doesn't even seem like I need a new one. The language indicates that the most important thing is just to know your SSN by heart. I don't think I'll even order a new one.

Maybe you can catch these Buttheads at Jersey Mike's trying to cash in your free sub.

I don't even have a social security card. I lost it many years ago and have never needed it for anything. I know the number, obviously. Will there ever come a time when I have to have it? Like when I am ready to start collecting SS (assuming there is any left to collect) would I have to actually have the physical card at that point? Just a random question that this thread reminded me of...
Some places require you to have two forms of ID, typically a SS Card or Passport along with a driver's license. I think the only time I have shown my SS Card was to get my passport way back when, and maybe when we got our marriage license. As long as you've got a passport and a license, you should be fine.

At least for hiring purposes you can use a passport on it's own, or a combination of driver's license with SS card/birth certificate. There are a number of other documents, but those are the major ones.

Thanks. I have both of those documents available if I need them. The Pit may be surprised to learn they are actually not in my wallet.

Some places require you to have two forms of ID, typically a SS Card or Passport along with a driver's license. I think the only time I have shown my SS Card was to get my passport way back when, and maybe when we got our marriage license. As long as you've got a passport and a license, you should be fine.

when I went to get a license at the DC DMV you had to have 2 forms of ID but could only use one of a Passport or Driver's License and then had to have something with your full SSN on it. that could be a W2, tax return, SS card, etc. I only had a copy of my tax return and the lady wouldn't accept it saying they don't take those, so I literally had to pull up the DC DMV site on my phone to show her where it said I could.

when I went to get a license at the DC DMV you had to have 2 forms of ID but could only use one of a Passport or Driver's License and then had to have something with your full SSN on it. that could be a W2, tax return, SS card, etc. I only had a copy of my tax return and the lady wouldn't accept it saying they don't take those, so I literally had to pull up the DC DMV site on my phone to show her where it said I could.

Worst and most maddening DMV in the entire country. Three hours and turned away more times than I could count.

Worst and most maddening DMV in the entire country. Three hours and turned away more times than I could count.

and then the irony of the giant line of idling cars, trucks, and busses at the emissions inspection station

Yeah, instead of standing in the driveway and going through your wallet and making sure you get to keep your library card, VIC card, Jersey Mike's Card, and Panera Bread Card, with their fingerprints on them, they just took the whole wallet and figured they'd sort it out later. What a bunch of Buttheads. I really expected more of thieves.

yeah they're assholes.

i'm betting they already left their prints all over the car, unless they were wearing gloves, in which case they wouldn't care about handling then leaving the wallet. Not that they're likely to find any complete prints anyway, and even if they do not likely they'll lead to someone (i've been through this when my own car was broken into...twice.)

if i'm a thief i can hide 1 card in my ass crack and another (or both) in my shoe beneath my pad and manage that much easier than an entire wallet if I get detained and patted. i might take the wallet and immediately toss it, just so 5-0 is looking for a wallet, but that's still a dickish thing to do, which was my point. take my money and run, that's partially on me, but don't make me go replace all those cards.

Last edited:
if someone took one credit card from my wallet I would probably assume for a little while that I'd left it open at a bar, or at a store or something. probably wouldn't report it right away. though now that I'm typing this, maybe I would at least check the statement. so don't scam me.

Back