• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Can Matta really command 5 mil a year after sitting out the last 3 years?

I don't think $5M is likely given the layoff, health risks, and current environment / lack of openings.

For comparison: Crean got $3.2M, Howland got $2.1M, Pearl got $2.2M, Barnes got $2.3M. Barnes is now right at $5M, but only after he had the best regular season in program history, and UCLA pursued him.

Smokescreen?? From Greensboro source:

John Beilein was on the Wake Forest campus on Monday and he was seen standing six feet away from one of the main buildings…Beilein has a strong NCAA college basketball pedigree, and he just finished a short stint coaching the Cleveland Cavaliers, of the NBA….

But have been hearing from many of the media types, both from print and radio, that Beilein is not a candidate at all, for this Wake Forest men’s basketball job…

Very interesting…There might be a smokescreen being laid out…Most of the radio shows were saying he(Beilein) was not a candidate…This will get interesting…

Confirmed that Beilein was 100% on campus. I also have other scoop regarding Beilein that I’ve promised not to spread on the boards.

One of our biggest basketball donors founded IMG sports, which broadcasts games and coaches shows, and we may hire a coach who doesn’t talk to the press or do coaches shows?

If you follow Sutton on social media you'll realize that he's already well into the Baby Boomer Brain Rot phase. His "content" is a combination of stolen Twitter jokes and Fox News political hot takes

I assume he just wants a coach that will kiss his ass.

Current student here. Not going to claim to have some super inside Tier 1 sauces but one of my friends who is associated with the athletic department told me that both Matta and Amaker were on campus today and that they heard Amaker is "likely" to get the job. Granted my friend may not be in the know (and may be getting stuff from this board lol) but thats what I heard.

Interesting. There were whispers that someone else would be on campus in the afternoon. I certainly hope it was Matta.

**No one (outside of the very few involved with scheduling and arrangements) knew Amaker was coming. He was seen.**

No one I know saw Matta on campus yesterday, but that means nothing. If you want to conduct a discrete coaching search, do it while your campus is closed during a worldwide pandemic. The campus is basically empty, especially in the afternoon.

What we really need to do is play “Where is John Currie?” for the next 48 hours

From watching Currie closely through the years, I bet he walks himself before being forced to hire someone he doesn’t want to hire. And he well should.

Yeah, if it's Amaker it's just because Hatch wants someone he can trot out with him in his laundering war criminals conversation Face to Face series or whatever the fuck that scam is.

I would much rather have Kelsey over Amaker. As others have said, Amaker is a known quantity. He will be consistent and mediocre. We will have below-average to above-average teams and settle into a spot between 5-8th in the conference. Consistent postseason, always on the NCAA bubble (sometimes in, sometimes out). I think Kelsey is a good coach with great energy. He's unproven, but the ceiling is much higher than Amaker - especially factoring in potential longevity. He may bust and flame out, but we're in the basement already. We can always find a return to mediocre coach. If Matta's not a real possibility, I'd rather take the risk with the high energy coach that will at least provide some hope/excitement.

I have zero belief that Hatch inserts himself in the process where people are still interviewing. Maybe he has final ultimate say (maybe not) but people talking about Hatch vetoing hypothetical candidates or putting his thumb on the scale while the process is ongoing seems absurd.

I am convinced there is a lot of disinformation being put out ... whether by Wake, by agents, by coaches, or all of the above.

firing Manning but getting Amaker sounds like a compromise Hatch would have made

Back