• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I didn’t realize our class ranking for next year was so shitty. 66th overall on 24/7, behind Harvard Massachusetts and Elon to name a handful. Also Kennesaw State has a top 50 class.

Eh, with Danny they would have left after one year anyway

Miller would a fine hire. Not more than that on day one. He would be perhaps the most unknown of the names kicked around, but there would be a reason to have some optimism.

Yes, fine but probably underwhelming right? We are the only open P6 job for the ENTIRE CYCLE. We should be able to have our pick of the litter.

Les just dropped a list of people who have already interviewed or will be interviewed by end of day today.

I would suggest subscribing. A couple names on that list that no one is talking about.
I have been saying for awhile that I don't think it's going to be any of the nepotistic "Wake Ties" guys that y'all LOWFers keep bringing up. That's just my gut feeling after looking at the kind of candidates Currie has looked at in the past. He's going to shoot for a higher level for his "Tier 1 & Tier 2" than the likes of Miller, Kelsey, Turner, et all.

He's gonna swing for fences on this. I gotta strong feeling he didn't move heaven and earth in this economic environment just to wind up with the likes of Maryland-Baltimore County's Men's Basketball Coach.

I'm still holding out hope for Head Coach Gregg Popovich with head coach in waiting Tim Duncan to be announced as a search rumor.

Anyone care to share the list of candidates we have/will interview today?

If Thad Matta isn’t a consensus choice after Beilein, then we probably don’t deserve a good basketball program. I hate the guy historically, but he’d be the best hire we ever made for basketball.

If we are getting the Thad Matta who beat Skip for Oden and Conley and took tOSU to the NC game -- absolutely.

That was 14+ years ago. He hasn't coached basketball for three seasons. His last two years at tOSU were disappointing in performance and in recruiting; tOSU was struggling. Maybe Matta's physical aliments are resolved, and he is ready to get after it with a vengeance -- then of course Matta is a great candidate, but unless someone here knows Matta personally, how can you be certain about Matta's current ability to lead.

This excerpt is from an article about Matta when tOSU let him go:

Thad Matta has been fired by Ohio State, he and Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith announced at a Monday news conference.

Matta, 49, has struggled with back and foot issues for several years after surgery to help his back problems in 2007 resulted in a permanent disability in his right foot.
On top of that, all five players from Matta's highly touted 2015 recruiting class have left the team.

When asked if he could get back into coaching, Matta said he was working first and foremost on getting healthy, but did add, "never say never."

Given that background, fair to question whether Matta is the best choice for WF.

Until his last two years he had never been worse than 34 in KP in 13 years at OSU and had 9 tourney appearances (plus a final four)

Until his last two years he had never been worse than 34 in KP in 13 years at OSU and had 9 tourney appearances (plus a final four)

He was a great coach. The question whether he can still be a great coach.

But we’re still fucked regardless because our arena sucks. Until we hide our keys and get a 7k venue the rest of this is a giant waste of time according to our resident golf course architect.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? 7K!!??
THAT'S TOO BIG FOR US... HPU DOES 4,5OO AND IT'S ON CAMPUS!! DER DER DER

Last edited:
He was a great coach. The question whether he can still be a great coach.

Coaching isn't a skill you lose for any health reasons other than dementia. A better question that an AD might ask is "do you feel healthy enough to be out recruiting all year long."

I would definitely subscribe to Les. One name on his list (first one), I am less than enthused about because his personality seems less energetic than I personally prefer. The other names I can definitely get behind.

I would be beyond disappointed if this were the hire. Give me Miller or Kelsey any day of the week over him. Unfortunately, given Currie's last major hoops hire being a guy with previous P6 experience and mostly disappointing results, this name could fit the bill.

For whatever its worth a Lear arrived in GSO from Indianapolis Executive Airport earlier this morning. Doubtful but who knows.

If its a lear, why GSO and not Winston? I assume there is a general aviation FBO in Winston.

Back