• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Sportsnut said earlier on a thread that we talked to Beilein but he rebuffed.

In an ideal world, with a healthy program, Odom, Miller, and Kelsey are all one job away from Wake. They've all been decently successful at smaller programs, but wouldn't even be on our radar for their coaching resumes alone. Hoping we land in a higher tier than those three.

There's also the simple possibility that Beilien might see Wake as a "step back" in his career.
No, that is *NOT* a knock at Wake, nor meant to seem like it.
Beilien has made a career of moving from one place, to a slightly bigger, then bigger than that.
He's at Richmond. He tries for the Wake opening but loses it to Skip. He then goes to West Virginia, on the same basic level at the time. Has success there which allows a jump to the Big House, Michigan. Gets MAJOR success there. Should've been content, but despite friends reportedly trying to talk him out of it, he decides to scratch an old itch and try the NBA.
He fails. Probably the first time in a long time he's failed and it actually FEELS like it.
Beilien's had the career path of a guy that doesn't look backwards very much. I don't know if he is necessarily interested in starting over the climb. I think he's not going to make any quick moves and will wait out K, Roy, Boeheim, ect first. He's probably got about ten more coaching years left, and I think he has a good idea of where he wants to spend them.

Beilein just coached in the NBA and at Michigan, where he took them to the NCAA final twice and to 8 NCAA tourneys in 9 years.

WF has the worst record in the ACC over the last decade, and is two hours from two of the top 4 basketball programs in the nation. Beilein was never going to take the WF job.

Beilein has made more money than he can ever spend. Bringing WF from the bottom of the ACC to top half of the ACC status is not going to excite him. If Beilein has one hole in his resume, it's not winning a NC. WF is not the job if that is the goal. If the economy bounces back, after next season, there will be a ton of jobs open, if a job opens where Beilein has a reasonable chance to win a NC in five years, then maybe he takes the job, but he is not taking a major rebuild job, where the payoff is an NCAA bid. He's done that at 4 different schools already.

Last edited:
If it is Matta, I could see the announcement being held until early next week. Let him cash one more check from Ohio State.

Beilein just coached in the NBA, and at Michigan where he took them to the NCAA final twice and 8 tourney's in 9 years. WF has the worst record in the ACC over the last decade, and is two hours from two of the top 4 basketball programs in the nation. Beilein was never going to take the WF job. Beilein has made more money than he can ever spend. Bringing WF from the bottom of the ACC to top half of the ACC status is not going to excite him. If Beilein has one hole in his resume, it's not winning a NC. WF is not the job if that is the goal. If the economy bounces back, next season there will be a ton of jobs open, if a job opens where Beilein has a reasonable chance to win a NC in five years, then maybe he takes the job, but he is not taking a major rebuild job, where the payoff is an NCAA bid. He's done that at 4 different schools.
Yup.
I just don't know/think it's necessarily any knock at Wake if he's turned us down.

He's got about ten coaching years left to get a Natty and all he's got to do is wait out a handful of older than him men.

Wow, I'm sure I'm the only one who didn't know this, but I had no idea Matta was the coach of Butler during our Butlerized game...Geez. Between that and losing OCC to him...if you can't beat him, join 'em. Let's make it happen Currie!!

If it is Matta, I could see the announcement being held until early next week. Let him cash one more check from Ohio State.
Hummm.

Acting Coach Randolph can keep Thad's seat warm for a week or so.

Wow, I'm sure I'm the only one who didn't know this, but I had no idea Matta was the coach of Butler during our Butlerized game...Geez. Between that and losing OCC to him...if you can't beat him, join 'em. Let's make it happen Currie!!

I didn’t either. One of the worst Wake b-ball games ever.

I didn’t either. One of the worst Wake b-ball games ever.
The chain is this: Thad coached the Butlerizing of Odom.
Odom is forced out.
Wake hires Skip from Xavier.
Xavier replaces Skip with Thad.

Weird little circle.

The Beilein and Beilein package deal may have been a deal breaker.

Why would that be an issue? Because the younger Beilein has had some issues? I mean, the last coach hired a guy that literally killed someone... :)

Back