• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

You’re a huge disappointment honestly

He's right in this case. Miller would be such a let down.

On the flip side, he probably has heard DR talk about a new stadium enough that the seed has to be germinating in his little tarheel brain...

So long as he is hungry he meets all of Donald Ross's criteria

But we’re still fucked regardless because our arena sucks. Until we hide our keys and get a 7k venue the rest of this is a giant waste of time according to our resident golf course architect.

Forbes has a great twitter account.

Steve Forbes
@ForbesETSUhoops
·
Apr 24
My wife just “fired” me for not doing my “job” carrying our clean clothes from the laundry room to our bedroom. Thank you Ghandhi and MLK for showing me the power of non-violent, civil disobedience!!

Slight disappointment with the list. After Currie's "he or she" comment, I expected one female coach to get mentioned on one of the longer lists.

giphy.gif

Sad to hear Beilein is out. Forbes seems to be the guy. I have a question though: what amount of his success at ETSU is attributed to getting JUCO kids who were just better athletes than the in conference competition? Was his success a case of getting better talent or doing more with comparable talent to the conference?

I go back and forth between Miller and Forbes. What I like about Miller is there’s no doubt much of his success has come from his coaching skills. Getting talent to Wake shouldn’t be a problem for either guy, especially with the new facilities. Even Paint touches got talent here. Honestly just asking.

On the flip side, he probably has heard DR talk about a new stadium enough that the seed has to be germinating in his little tarheel brain...

Miller would a fine hire. Not more than that on day one. He would be perhaps the most unknown of the names kicked around, but there would be a reason to have some optimism.

Sad to hear Beilein is out. Forbes seems to be the guy. I have a question though: what amount of his success at ETSU is attributed to getting JUCO kids who were just better athletes than the in conference competition? Was his success a case of getting better talent or doing more with comparable talent to the conference?

I go back and forth between Miller and Forbes. What I like about Miller is there’s no doubt much of his success has come from his coaching skills. Getting talent to Wake shouldn’t be a problem for either guy, especially with the new facilities. Even Paint touches got talent here. Honestly just asking.

Well when he coached in JUCO, he won about 80% of his games, so assuming level playing fields, his winning percentage is pretty consistent.

I’m warming up to Miller, he’s young, energetic and very passionate. I think he could win here.

My top choice besides Matta (who is obviously a home run) is definitely Turner because of 1) the history of turnaround on UC Irvine's record during his initial start there and 2) his sustained success thereafter. We are in need of a turnaround job. Much like Clawson, I think Turner is the right man for the job because he has shown he has done it before. Looking at Forbes' record shows success from day 1, which while great, could be at least half attributable to the previous head coach. Forbes could be better added to a situation where the cupboard is full and the program knows how to win. We are not that program right now. Turner is exactly what we need.

I didn’t realize our class ranking for next year was so shitty. 66th overall on 24/7, behind Harvard Massachusetts and Elon to name a handful. Also Kennesaw State has a top 50 class.

Everyone has opinions about who they like and who they don't. There's going to be no consensus choice (particularly now that Beilein's out) among all WF fans. A few things to keep in mind:

- Whomever WF chooses, will be a huge improvement over WF's previous HCs over the last decade+
- This time the final decision-maker will likely be John Currie, which will be also be a huge improvement over the last final decision-maker
- As well-informed as all of us think that we are, Currie and those assisting with the search will be better informed than anyone posting here (including the benefit of interviewing the candidate, vetting those that have played for him and those that have worked with him)
- WF Basketball actual will have hope again

My preference would be Brannen, Turner, Miller, Forbes in that order. All that said, even if Currie selects someone that gives me pause, will just be happy that WF basketball will have a chance to be a factor again.

Last edited:

Didn’t someone figure out a few years ago that edendeac is one of DR’s aliases?

I'm sure she'll do a great job, no matter who Currie hires.

Let's look at the history:

To replace Odom, the Top 2 on my list were Majerus (whom I posted wouldn't take job and Skip (FIRST and ONLY person to mention him)
To replace Dinos my list was ONE person - Stevens (and he was young). Wellman FUCKED that up.
To replace redacted, again my list was ONE person SHAKA and Hatch FUCKED him.

There is ONE outstanding pick this time.

1. SHAKA
2. SHAKA
3. SHAKA
4. SHAKA
5. MATTA (if healthy)

Longshits would include Macmahons, Childress and Boiealien.

Shaka is NOW 100% there for our taking at bigly dicount. $5.5M/y gets it done. It's ALL on CURRY not to FUCK us. SHAKA!SHAKA!SHAKA!

Everyone has opinions about who they like and who they don't. There's going to be no consensus choice (particularly now that Beilein's out) among all WF fans. A few things to keep in mind:

- Whomever WF chooses, will be a huge improvement over WF's previous HCs over the last decade+
- This time the final decision-maker will likely be John Currie, which will be also be a huge improvement over the last final decision-maker
- As well-informed as all of us think that we are, Currie and those assisting with the search will be better informed than anyone posting here (including the benefit of interviewing the candidate, vetting those that have played for him and those that have worked with him)
- WF Basketball actual will have hope again

My preference would be Brannen, Turner, Miller Forbes in that order. All that said, even if Currie selects someone that gives me pause, will just be happy that WF basketball will have a chance to be a factor again.

If Thad Matta isn’t a consensus choice after Beilein, then we probably don’t deserve a good basketball program. I hate the guy historically, but he’d be the best hire we ever made for basketball.

From what I have heard, Currie tends to be intense and impatient. I think his choice will be someone who has a chance at a fairly immediate turnaround — ie some significant progress in 2021–22, not a five year plan. Not sure which candidate that is , but I doubt it fits Miller or Kelsey.

I am somewhat sad that Beilein seems to be out of the picture. But if bringing his son was part of the deal, it doesn't surprise me. The son as heir apparent has not worked well when done previously. Those coaches sons who have had success have stepped away from their father's shadow and gone in their own direction.

Back