• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

One thing to clarify, Matta did not walk away from OSU. He was forced out. One of the issues, which may never go away, is that opposing coaches were negatively recruiting against Thad/OSU by scaring recruits with his health issues ("he will never be there for your 3-4 years at OSU)

rj. It's not retreating. Its taking the high road.

I've turned more cheeks than a reunion of Radio City Rockettes. I've reached more often than a Coca-Cola We Are The World commercial.

It doesn't work. I wish it did.

But let's get back to something I know nothing about. :)

One thing to clarify, Matta did not walk away from OSU. He was forced out. One of the issues, which may never go away, is that opposing coaches were negatively recruiting against Thad/OSU by scaring recruits with his health issues ("he will never be there for your 3-4 years at OSU)

And yet by the end of his time with OSU he was still pulling in multiple 4*/top 100 recruits a year.

Yeah, UNC is not going to be plucking Roy's successor from UNCG. Duke will be more interesting because K is Duke. They'd had little success before he arrived.

Foster took Duke to the final in the late 70s with Banks, Gminski, Dennard and Spanarkel. But yeah, they were falling off a bit in the early 80s.

My 2 cents - I'm pessimistic. Would be thrilled with Matta, but don't see that in the cards. If he's a no go, and with Miller apparently out, Forbes and Turner would be solid hires.

seriously dude. try just shutting up about "how right you were" and everyone will let it go. You can't let a mention of $15 million go by without making it about your information, and then of course everyone piles on.

Seems kind of overbroad- I'm not sure a North Carolina employer can prevent someone from taking a job in, say, Massachusetts.

However, it would be easy to write a clause that would make it prohibitively expensive. Say a flat $100 million if he takes another ACC job during contract term.

Or some form of non-compete clause. Smart employment law lawyers can make it happen.

Too bad about Wes. Regarding Matta, dubious that his chronic back/foot drop problem has resolved.

When I Googled Thad Matta, I got some older pictures, but then the pictures of him around 2017...honestly he looks unhealthy, in his face.

Not fat and overweight per se, like everyone posting here, or Covid-19 drubbed by being stuck at home all day dear lord get me out of here look, but just unhealthy (sorry!!!).

Also, I saw his overall .740 win percentage, which is STRONG.

FWIW against very different competition, Steve Forbes overall is at .751.

Those 2 guys are winners.

I like winners.

As we start a new era in bball, maybe we can start a new era here.

I hope the people I'm about to out will see this as being positive and using their actions to help the board heal and be better.

It's indisputable that Townie and RJ have had countless tiffs, fights and battles that became heated and personal. RJ has often stated peace is one correspondence away.

About two weeks ago, Townie went out his way to reach to RJ to admit his errors and see if they could mend fences and heal wounds. It was greatly appreciated. Of course, RJ thanked him and accepted his apology.

Since then, theyve had a couple of hiccups but have been able to work through them and kept any problems from blowing up. There's no doubt whatsoever that they will disagree and disagree loudly about things in the future. It's inevitable. What's not inevitable is that they will go back to where they were.

I'm hoping that they won't go back. I think it's more likely that they won't.

If Townie can show the strength and courage to reach out like this, basically everyone else can. I hope many of you will follow his lead and reach out to RJ to apologize and take accountability for your actions. Admitting you are wrong is not a weakness.

Thanks, Townie and RJ

I understand the general consensus supporting Matta, and if he's healthy, his resume is by far the best of any of the mentioned candidate by a landslide. Not a debatable point.

The one other sticking point with Matta would likely be money, duration and terms. WF just got burned with a ridiculously awful contract. Understand that Matta is not Danny Manning. Even so, is WF ready to enter into another contract that massively favors the coach?

With Forbes, Turner, McKay (or any other coach coming up for a lower level), WF can dictate contract terms, like amount (will be far more than their current schools pay), number of years, and buyout terms. Not the case with Matta. Matta is going to expect a long expensive contract with onerous buyout terms. If WF is flush with cash, no problem. If not, money/terms could be an issue. Can't spend money that you don't have.

That does make sense, but I am in the camp that WF cannot continue to take risks on mid-major coaches. Matta will help pay for himself if he gets us back to winning. Manning's contract was borderline negligence by Wellman. No coach can realistically expect that type of contract again.

When I Googled Thad Matta, I got some older pictures, but then the pictures of him around 2017...honestly he looks unhealthy, in his face.

Not fat and overweight per se, like everyone posting here, or Covid-19 drubbed by being stuck at home all day dear lord get me out of here look, but just unhealthy (sorry!!!).

I like winners.

Matta was 48 when this photo was taken. 2016.

CtilS6uWAAAfNvD

I like winners.

This. If we do not land Matta, I would be more hopeful with hiring Forbes than I ever was with [redacted] and Manning.

Well if it violates public policy it’s not generally going to stand up under scrutiny. Most states require non competes to be reasonable in scope and duration - where the entire Atlantic seaboard is well beyond reasonable in scope.

1) In actuality, we would probably just have a "superbuyout" if the coach is going to a conference competitor.

2) Hypothetically, if there were a complete bar on moving directly to a conference competitor, saying you can't take a job with one of our 14 direct competitors very well may be deemed reasonable. What is reasonable is dependent on the scope of services being offered. A geographic scope that would be unreasonable for a doctor or a salesperson (the entire Atlantic seaboard for instacne) is different than the geographic scope for a P5 basketball coach or a CEO.

I'm certain I missed it in this thread, so apologies if it's already covered, but what are the thoughts around Matta's health going forward? He had back issues at OSU? Back and leg/foot issues?

Unfortunately, he had failed back surgery (he apparently got butchered) which resulted in foot drop several at age 42. This was still haunting him when he had to quit at Ohio State at age 49. I hope he has improved but I doubt it.

If I'm serious about hiring Matta, I would want him to undergo an in depth review and physical exam by the best neurologist and neurosurgeon I know and trust. Given Matta's public medical issues, I want to know if he is physically able to perform the very demanding job of head basketball coach.

This. My failed back surgeries didn’t leave me with foot drop, but they left permanent pain and restrictions with standing and sitting. And three years off would help his pain level but not change his disability.

When Roy faints a few more times and finally retires, don't see UNC is f-ing around with mid-major coaches. Kentucky and Kansas don't waste their time with potential; they hire coaches who they know will get the job done. UNC is arguably an even more attractive job than those schools.

The first call from the UNC decision-makers is going to Brad Stevens agent. I can see Stevens going back to college basketball at some point, and he knows that he could win multiple Nattys at UNC. If Stevens doesn't want to return to college at that time (or has already taken a job like Kansas), literally every great coach is on the table for them (Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack, Mark Few, Dana Altman, NBA guys with college experience). UNC should have learned from the Matt Doherty debacle that it makes no sense to limit yourself to coaches with an UNC connection as that is about the only way the UNC program can crater.

Miller's only shot at UNC would be to get at least on the level of a VCU, Seton Hall or Butler, and stringing a few successful seasons together there. I don't see the timeline working out for Miller on that plan where Miller would be UNC's next coach as I would put the over under on Roy leaving UNC at 3.5, and don't see Miller getting that next job and adding to his resume at his next coaching stop by the time UNC is looking. Miller's only 37. So, maybe he will be a legit candidate for UNC by the time the coach that succeeds Roy is ready to leave, but Miller won't have the credentials for the UNC job soon enough to succeed old Roy.

As for Duke, K is picking his successor, and like almost every job where a legend leaves, his successor is doomed to fail. Of all of K's "guys", always had the feeling that Amaker was the one he was closest too. So, my guess is that Tommy will get the job, and Duke will decline. Maybe, at that point, Duke's decision-makers will realize that its stupid to limit the pool of coaching candidates to just K's brood, but as long as they limit the pool, that's good for everyone else.

Fastest way to tank an elite program is to exclude the very best options to lead that program. Bama learned this in football. Initially after Bear left, Bama tried to hire "Bama" guys with poor results (for them); then, they just said "f-it", lets just get the best coach, even if he has no Bama connections, even if he used to coach LSU, and Bama has never looked back.

This on UNC. You get it. As much as I hate to say it, UNC is a fantastic job and it will draw the best of talent. I could absolutely see a Brad Stevens coming back to college ball in Chapel Hill. Or a Mack. Or a insert next great coach in 5 years.

Back