• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Why? Could easily be three guys still in the mix with Forbes or Matta also there.

maybe, I just get the feeling under current circumstances you're limiting who you bring in. and you're only bringing in serious candidates, which he obviously is one.

Please post up on campus to take pictures for the next couple of days.

I'd do it myself (lord knows I'm not doing any work this week), but I live in Atlanta and my wife would probably hurt me if I tried to leave her w/ the three kids.

Empty campus makes it hard to stay inconspicuous.

It’s definitely Tommy Amaker, though.

I’d rather take Amaker than Kelsey. I see I’m in the minority.

Totally agree. He is competent, unexciting but competent. He will get us to the middle of the pack in the ACC with NIT/NCAA expectations each year.

I think the worst thing would be a wildcard like Kelsey or Odom who have huge risks. We have been irrelevant for 10 years--what happens if we have another stretch of that?

Amaker would make us somewhat competitive (at worst)

Still would obviously prefer Matta + Forbes.

The $7.5M "negotiated down" number only makes sense if the true number is somewhere in the $9M to $10M range.

Zero chance Manning and his reps agree to accept $0.50 on the dollar of what they are contractually owed even with the threat of extended litigation.

Ok.

But that’s his buyout. Don’t know how and don’t know why, but it’s 7.5 mill.

If we end up with a guy like Amaker, I think it just speaks to where our program is after 10 years of crap. I'm going to give whoever we hire a chance and we all should, but we've all got to realize too, that this isn't the job we all think it is. I'm afraid we're going to have to settle for another at least partially risky hire and hope it works out to get us back up a few notches in the college basketball landscape.

I realize where the program is currently at, but being in the ACC alone should allow Currie to have his pick of Forbes, Miller, McMahon, or Kelsey. I feel like Currie has only two choices and that is to take the proven coach (Matta appears to be only option in that category) or go with someone that shows promise but has yet to have the chance to prove what his ceiling is (Forbes, Miller, Kelsey, etc). The absolute worst avenue to go down is to look at coaches that have had opportunities to show their ceiling and failed at impressing anyone at that level.

Please post up on campus to take pictures for the next couple of days.

I'd do it myself (lord knows I'm not doing any work this week), but I live in Atlanta and my wife would probably hurt me if I tried to leave her w/ the three kids.

You can't get on campus. Or else I would be camped outside Currie's office for work. Gates are patrolled by WFU security guards.

Amaker is not a winner, dude is very mediocre. I cant understand how he’s even a finalist let alone on campus. That would be a terrible hire IMO.

Totally agree. He is competent, unexciting but competent. He will get us to the middle of the pack in the ACC with NIT/NCAA expectations each year.

I think the worst thing would be a wildcard like Kelsey or Odom who have huge risks. We have been irrelevant for 10 years--what happens if we have another stretch of that?

Amaker would make us somewhat competitive (at worst)

Still would obviously prefer Matta + Forbes.

With him having a 10 years to make a splash in P6 hoops he danced one time. I don't see how that translates to any expectation to be in the NCAA/NIT each year. Manning was able to go once in 6 years.
He would be a weak ass hire IMO. Also he seems to a continuance of another coach sitting there quietly revealing zero emotions.

I realize where the program is currently at, but being in the ACC alone should allow Currie to have his pick of Forbes, Miller, McMahon, or Kelsey. I feel like Currie has only two choices and that is to take the proven coach (Matta appears to be only option in that category) or go with someone that shows promise but has yet to have the chance to prove what his ceiling is (Forbes, Miller, Kelsey, etc). The absolute worst avenue to go down is to look at coaches that have had opportunities to show their ceiling and failed at impressing anyone at that level.

Yeah I agree, but I think as far as a tier of coaches, you'd have to put Amaker in that type of tier. Sure, most of us think there are better choices, but I think that is the tier we're going to have to hire from and each has an element of risk to it. So, we're going to need to come out on the good side of that risk to get the program back. I just don't think we're going to be able to hire what we all think is a no brainer type, that we would all be completely shocked if it didn't work out.

man-spying-binoculars-featured.jpg

You can't get on campus. Or else I would be camped outside Currie's office for work. Gates are patrolled by WFU security guards.

Lol. Now that there are no students on campus they finally decide to protect the campus from the Townies of the world.

How many entrances are there these days? Bring a friend or two. And some walkie talkies.

I guarantee State fans would do it.

LOWF

Back