• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

HUH? Do you really think O$U would use not applying at Wake to avoid his last two payments? Last year, you would have had a point, but the combination of no bball, basically one job opening and having only payments left, I seriously doubt this would be an issue.

Quite simply, $300,000 in a budget of over $109M is likely not worth the negative press and hassle they would get for stopping the payments.

HUH? Do you really think O$U would use not applying at Wake to avoid his last two payments? Last year, you would have had a point, but the combination of no bball, basically one job opening and having only payments left, I seriously doubt this would be an issue.

Quite simply, $300,000 in a budget of over $109M is likely not worth the negative press and hassle they would get for stopping the payments.

Nevermind the budget just got cut in half.

Amaker is a clear step up from Manning, and several steps up from Bz. His Michigan years are troubling, but he was better at Seton Hall than he's getting credit for-- that program is historically sort of a dumpster fire and he was fine. I also think it's silly to discount what he's done for Harvard basketball. They hadn't been to a tournament in 60+ years before Amaker got there, and he took them to 4 straight. That's not nothing.

He'd also be a pretty uninspiring hire, though, and the upside is super limited (unless you think he's become a better recruiter/coach at Harvard, which I guess is possible?)

I'd much rather have Matta (obviously) and Forbes, and probably Turner/Miller too.

Sounds like we need to get some drones in the air on The Quad and on Wellman Way.

Amaker is a clear step up from Manning, and several steps up from Bz. His Michigan years are troubling, but he was better at Seton Hall than he's getting credit for-- that program is historically sort of a dumpster fire and he was fine. I also think it's silly to discount what he's done for Harvard basketball. They hadn't been to a tournament in 60+ years before Amaker got there, and he took them to 4 straight. That's not nothing.

He'd also be a pretty uninspiring hire, though, and the upside is super limited (unless you think he's become a better recruiter/coach at Harvard, which I guess is possible?)

I'd much rather have Matta (obviously) and Forbes, and probably Turner/Miller too.

But hasn't Willard been better at Seton Hall than Amaker ?

I wonder if Currie is interviewing a swath of candidates, gauging mutual interest, and wants to make an offer soon. I imagine it would look bad if the process is drawn out, as if we'd gone after one candidate at a time, top down, and struck out a few times before settling. If 5+ people are interviewed at once, he can always claim that our hire just presented the best case and we've found our guy. Gotta feel like Currie is sensitive to optics here.

it's literally a requirement of the OSU buyout, which also specifies that they can require repayment of past payouts

who knows matta's true motives, but the buyout terms are pretty clear

There’s a wake connected (owner mba wife undergrad) plane based out of Roanoke flying into Smith Reynolds today from Naples. Any candidates hang out in Florida?

Amaker > Kelsey/Miller/Odom
Amaker < Belien/Matta/Forbes

I would tend to agree with this. If Kelsey is a high reward type of guy, then I would hope he would have gone to the NCAA tournament more than 2 times in 8 years out of the big south taking over Greg Marshall's program.

PJ Carlisemo and Kevin Willard win big at Seton Hall. Amaker was just shitty.

Settling for Amaker is sooo LOWF.

A Winthrop coach that has never had a top 100 KP team is one of the top choices because he jumps in the air on the sideline. We could do a lot worse than Amaker.

Back