• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Have we looked overseas ? Maybe Dinos or Crawford can recommend their coaches.

In 23 years of being a head coach , a maker has 4 ncaa tourney wins. Nope. I’m looking for a guy who can get 4 tourney wins in two weeks and this ain’t the guy. Hopefully this is just an interview and nothing more, but if we hire amaker, then Currie has failed big time.
This right here.

We know Amaker was a candidate. We know he's probably on campus. We don't really know who has been eliminated or has removed themselves besides Wes.

I take for granted that Curry tried for better than Amaker. What we will never know is if Hatch/BOT squashed better candidates. Of course I also take for granted any involvement by Hatch is a hindrance to us having a winning basketball program.

Agree 100 percent. Hatch should have no say other than squash the hiring of a coach with a checkered past that could get us in trouble.

In 23 years of being a head coach , a maker has 4 ncaa tourney wins. Nope. I’m looking for a guy who can get 4 tourney wins in two weeks and this ain’t the guy. Hopefully this is just an interview and nothing more, but if we hire amaker, then Currie has failed big time.

additionally, just looking at his p6 gigs
(michigan was ineligible for the 2003 tournament, at 17-13 i figure they were bubble at best anyhow)

10 seasons
176-139 overall
1 NCAA Tournament (2-1 record)
1 NIT Championship

During his last season at Seton Hall, the Pirates were pre-season #10 and reached a high of #7. They ended the year with a 16-15 record. ouch

The $7.5M "negotiated down" number only makes sense if the true number is somewhere in the $9M to $10M range.

Zero chance Manning and his reps agree to accept $0.50 on the dollar of what they are contractually owed even with the threat of extended litigation.
Yeah. It sounds like horseshit to me too.
I'll believe it when I see it.

As others have mentioned, I have to hold out hope that Currie just wants to meet his top 2/3/4 candidates in person before making such an important hire. I know I would. Why not look them in the eye and meet them in person before making a huge decision...
The problem is that Amaker is a Top 3 candidate.

Amaker would likely keep Randolph on staff which is the most important criteria of any new hire anyway

What heights did we get to under Skip and Dino? February AP polls don’t count.

I'd be pretty thrilled with being in the national conversation and being a top 4 seed in the NCAAs. We may have had poor postseason performances, but at least we were in the postseason.

I take for granted that Curry tried for better than Amaker. What we will never know is if Hatch/BOT squashed better candidates. Of course I also take for granted any involvement by Hatch is a hindrance to us having a winning basketball program.

Yeah, pretty clear Forbes had no chance based on his prior recruiting penalty. It's insane that Wake could throw all that money at Danny Manning and not find a way to go big for Matta, Anthony Grant, etc., but somehow I find that totally believable.

If things haven't changed since yesterday, Amaker is pro forma. He was invited. He came. Unless everything else falls apart, he's extremely unlikely to get the job.

Others have said this, but if we are seriously not considering Forbes for that recruiting thing, it's malpractice. It was nothing.

Back