• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Search Firms serve two purposes for AD's.
First, the search firms are the ones that reach out first to guage interest, so that the AD knows who might be serious about the position. They help to quickly narrow down the field to realistic candidates.
Second, they give the AD cover if the hire goes bad

Feels like an intern for the AD could make those phone calls to gauge initial interest. I've never seen the blame for a shitty hire fall back on the search firm as opposed to the guy that made the actual hire. Imagine Wellman after the Bzz billboards went up saying, don't blame me, blame Thornburg Law Services.

I don't know what's in their heads. But why is that so ridiculous? Do you not think they both will have other P6 offers in the future?

A coach making 6 figures in the SOCON will be elated to have an offer to go to an ACC school and at minimum triple their salary, get access to brand new top notch facilities, and compete in the #1 basketball conference.

Miller or Forbes would be fine by me but lean towards Miller because of the defense he plays at UNCG and is younger. As long as it's no Frickin Amaker.

This is where I am. I'm more than fine with Forbes, but I like that Miller is way younger and he's rebuilt a team that was at rock bottom because that is exactly where we've resided for the last decade thanks to Wellman and Hatch.

Feels like an intern for the AD could make those phone calls to gauge initial interest. I've never seen the blame for a shitty hire fall back on the search firm as opposed to the guy that made the actual hire. Imagine Wellman after the Bzz billboards went up saying, don't blame me, blame Thornburg Law Services.

You really think an intern in the AD is going to call up some coach or his agent out of the blue and ask him if he'd be interested in a $3 million per year job ?

Never said it was an interview.

It was a planned visit. COVID-19 protocol = reduced personnel but there were certain individuals present yesterday that lead me to believe they knew he was coming.

He did not tour the campus. Went to Sutton and stayed at Sutton (as far as I know- that could be different but I did not personally see him anywhere else).

Other than Currie, I am not sure who else would have greeted him.

A coach making 6 figures in the SOCON will be elated to have an offer to go to an ACC school and at minimum triple their salary, get access to brand new top notch facilities, and compete in the #1 basketball conference.

I get all that. But these guys are looking at the next 20 or 30 years. Our last three head coaches are not college head coaches anymore. I just don't get why everyone assumes a SOCON guy is just going to jump at the first offer.

Never said it was an interview.

It was a planned visit. COVID-19 protocol = reduced personnel but there were certain individuals present yesterday that lead me to believe they knew he was coming.

He did not tour the campus. Went to Sutton and stayed at Sutton (as far as I know- that could be different but I did not personally see him anywhere else).

Other than Currie, I am not sure who else would have greeted him.

HUH? Why else would he come to W-S during a pandemic?

I get all that. But these guys are looking at the next 20 or 30 years. Our last three head coaches are not college head coaches anymore. I just don't get why everyone assumes a SOCON guy is just going to jump at the first offer.

Find an instance where what you are suggesting has happened.

It's possible that Amaker is providing some counsel on the process

Which would explain why he was on campus but not listed as a candidate by any insiders

Back