• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Definite do not want on Earl Grant. I watch a decent amount of CAA basketball and none of the coaches are a good fit for Wake. Coen and Mihalich too old to take the step and Grant waning over last couples years at Charleston.

Jay Wright (40 when hired by Villanova)
Mark Few (37 when promoted to HC by Gonzaga)
Mike Brey (41 when hired by ND)
Gregg Marshall (44 when hired by Wichita St)
Tony Bennett (40 when hired by UVA)

These are guys at programs that objectively should be at risk of losing a coach to blue blood, but were hired young and have built the type of program I think we'd all be happy with at Wake (save maybe Wichita State)

Tom Izzo 41 when promoted by Michigan State (A very good program at the time but they had had a grand total of two Sweet 16 appearances and five losing seasons in sixteen seasons post-Magic Johnson)

Definite do not want on Earl Grant. I watch a decent amount of CAA basketball and none of the coaches are a good fit for Wake. Coen and Mihalich too old to take the step and Grant waning over last couples years at Charleston.

Oh, I was just joking, though I remember a lot of folks (myself included, probably) saying they wanted Grant the last couple of years.

all of those coaches, aside from Few, had significantly higher profiles when they were hired than Miller does today, and exactly 0 of them have been in their roles for 30 years

you asked who had been hired in the last 30 years who has had at least 30 years on the job

that's...a narrow window

Jay Wright (40 when hired by Villanova)
Mark Few (37 when promoted to HC by Gonzaga)
Mike Brey (41 when hired by ND)
Gregg Marshall (44 when hired by Wichita St)
Tony Bennett (40 when hired by UVA)

These are guys at programs that objectively should be at risk of losing a coach to blue blood, but were hired young and have built the type of program I think we'd all be happy with at Wake (save maybe Wichita State)

all of those coaches, aside from Few, had significantly higher profiles when they were hired than Miller does today, and exactly 0 of them have been in their roles for 30 years

Yup. Again Few aside they all had pulled up more trees in their respective leagues than Wes has done.

And I would take Wichita's run under Marshall, very hard to compare due to them being in the MVC but in addition to going to the Final Four in 2013 they were a top 15 Kenpom team four years in a row from 2014-17. That would be rewarded far greater in the ACC in terms of tournament seeding than it was for Wichita in that conference (and with the greater emphasis on metrics in seeding now, etc.)

Last edited:
Beilein issues probably include wanting his kid (who stepped down for person reasons at Niagara before coaching a game). Wake probably said no thanks

I believe the story was sexual relations with an employee while the wifey was home pregnant. Hatch probably had a mini-stroke when asked if that would be an issue for Wake.

dude - we suck right now. we have to thread the needle between someone that will want to come to wake and a coach with the potential to be great. so once you narrow the candidate pool with those criteria, it's an even more intriguing bonus to me if we might be able to hang onto for a long time if it all works out.

Marshall provides a good comparison for a Kelsey Winthrop wise. Marshall had them top 100 twice - something Kelsey has never done in 8 years - and made the NCAAT 7 times in 9 years.

Mike Brey never had Delaware top 100 before ND but did have two regular season and tourney titles there.

you asked who had been hired in the last 30 years who has had at least 30 years on the job

that's...a narrow window

I mean, look, if you think that Wes Miller is the next Tom Izzo, then more power to you, I guess.

Y'all are treating the 1% outcome on a probability matrix like it's a sure thing, though, which is wild to me.

Bennett had success at a P6 gig before UVA. Brey, Wright, and Marshall were all more successful in their mid-major gigs than Miller has been at UNCG. Bennett, Brey, and Wright were all well-regarded P6 assistants, something Miller has never been. Izzo and Few were longtime assistants and internal promotions; we don't have a Mark Few or a Tom Izzo at Wake, and even if you think Wes Miller would be successful here, those guys' paths aren't analogous.

To those worried about Wes leaving Wake for UNC, if that scenario happens, it would mean he was very successful at Wake and would leave Wake in a much better position than when he found it. I don't see a downside here. That said, I prefer Matta or Forbes.

Agreed. If Miller is successful at Wake, the Tar Holes will hate it while he's here, and that will breathe some much needed life into the Wake-UNC rivalry. And if he leaves Wake for UNC, we'll be pissed and thus be more motivated to make a home run replacement hire to kick his turncoat ass (and we'll be in a better position to make a home run hire if he's successful at rebuilding Wake).

I prefer Matta and Forbes, but I'd still be excited for Miller. Hell fucking no, if it's Amaker.

Wichita got a 10 seed as the 5th ranked KP team....that’s hilariously bad seeding (lost by three to Kentucky who was 4 in the second round).

Sure we could ask, but I don't know why we make that a dealbreaker if Miller is the coach we want. If Miller wins enough at Wake that the Heels want him in 5-10 years, I suspect we'd all be pretty fucking ecstatic about how much he has turned around our program.

If NBA CBA changes like everyone expects it to, we are likely looking at a sea-change in college basketball. In about 2-3 years when that happens, identifying talent will be the key to collegiate bball success. Jay Wright may be the best in the country at this. Izzo is really good. We don't know what will happen at Duke and UNC. They haven't had to this for the past fifty years.

We need this to be a key talent of our choice.

dude - we suck right now. we have to thread the needle between someone that will want to come to wake and a coach with the potential to be great.

I get that, which makes it all the more confusing that you're advocating making a play for 3 decades from now when a guy like Forbes has a considerably better short-term resume.

the 30 years is just a proxy for a long time kicking ass at one program - there are only 4 coaches with 30+ years at one program right now. Boeheim, K, Kampe, and Rick Byrd. If you want to go down that route - Boeheim was hired at 32 years old with no prior HC experience. Coach K was hired at 35 years old coming off a 9-17 season at Army.

I get that, which makes it all the more confusing that you're advocating making a play for 3 decades from now when a guy like Forbes has a considerably better short-term resume.

what i'm saying is that it's not significantly better. it's slightly better in the near-term with way less upside.

Back