• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Gas Grill

My first grill was a Vermont Castings. It was great for the first three years. Then it started to fall apart. Heat shields rusted through, enamel chipped off the grates, burner vents became clogged and the burners were impossible to remove. It was difficult to find replacement parts, and the parts i could find were very expensive. Ended up giving the grill away with the house when we moved.

For now, I'm using a Weber kettle grill that I bought off of Craigslist.

My next grill will be a Weber Genesis EP-310. Only problem is they never go on sale.

I sucked it up and bought a Genesis last year, it is unbelievable. It is the same Harris Teeter ingredients that I used on the old grill, but they taste completely different. The cost is the cost, but if you can find somebody to go to Lowes with you who is an armed forces Veteran, you get 10% off with their VA card even if you pay for it. That saved me like $70, which I could explain to the wife as being a steal. We ended up using it 3-4 times per week in the summer, then at least once a week throughout the late fall and winter as well. Easily one of the 5 best purchases I have ever made.

I sucked it up and bought a Genesis last year, it is unbelievable. It is the same Harris Teeter ingredients that I used on the old grill, but they taste completely different. The cost is the cost, but if you can find somebody to go to Lowes with you who is an armed forces Veteran, you get 10% off with their VA card even if you pay for it. That saved me like $70, which I could explain to the wife as being a steal. We ended up using it 3-4 times per week in the summer, then at least once a week throughout the late fall and winter as well. Easily one of the 5 best purchases I have ever made.

This is exactly my experience as well, except that I'm now in the 11th year of owning my Weber. I used it so often that I burned through both the flavor bars and the original grates, but I replaced both on the cheap and it's still trucking. Amazing. Even the automatic lighter and thermometer still work perfectly.

I'd like to add a charcoal grill/smoker, maybe a green egg at some point - but considering I grill up to 5 times a week and time is at a premium, a good gas grill is a must. Worth the money, to say the least.

so basically, the consensus of the board is that the kingfish backyard setup (assuming I don't want to go full-TSY) is a Weber Genesis beside a Big Green Egg. That about right?

Don't see the point in grilling with gas. If I want to sear a steak quickly I just use a grill insert on the stove or cast iron. I use the least expensive Weber kettle with charcoal for grilling/smoking. Been wanting a Green Egg for a while. Maybe I'll bite the bullet this summer.

so basically, the consensus of the board is that the kingfish backyard setup (assuming I don't want to go full-TSY) is a Weber Genesis beside a Big Green Egg. That about right?

Yes.

Don't see the point in grilling with gas. If I want to sear a steak quickly I just use a grill insert on the stove or cast iron. I use the least expensive Weber kettle with charcoal for grilling/smoking. Been wanting a Green Egg for a while. Maybe I'll bite the bullet this summer.

I used to be a charcoal purist as well. Then once I got my gas grill, I use it 10x more often than my charcoal grill. Its so much quicker and easier, so now I'll only grill on charcoal during the weekends when I have the time.

Don't forget to throw in a Grillworks Infierno for good measure:

http://www.grillery.com/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=Infierno+product

TrevorInfiernoSM.jpg

Mother of God.

That is kingfish Jr.

I gots a large BGE and a Weber Summit with a dedicated natural gas line sitting next to each other on the back deck.

I got the Summit in the summer of 2007. I keep it on an outdoor deck but it gets covered when not in use. Its held up pretty well, but after 7 years it has some rust marks and stains on the stainless steel. One complaint about the summit is that it has a built in holder for a drip pan, but the size is such that no store bought aluminum drip pan really fits, you have to buy the weber ones. I gave up and just put a drip pan or ramekin on the bottom of the storage cabinet. Weber is pretty easy to clean with all the parts being fairly easily removable.

Use your orange money and buy the one with the built in sauce rack.

I have replaced flavor bars, grates, and regulator over last 15 years on my Weber Genesis. However I can’t get it to maintain high temperature when I open to baste. It’s drops down from 400 to like 250 and takes a while to go back up.

Any ideas on what causes this? Bad burners?

I would really like some feedback from guys who purchased grills back when this started (2014) about how well their purchases held up and performed over the last nine years.

I have replaced flavor bars, grates, and regulator over last 15 years on my Weber Genesis. However I can’t get it to maintain high temperature when I open to baste. It’s drops down from 400 to like 250 and takes a while to go back up.

Any ideas on what causes this? Bad burners?
How expensive were new grates? Where do you find them?

The grates aren’t much and can be found at Home Depot as well as flavor bars. I bought in 2008 and it has been outstanding.

I would really like some feedback from guys who purchased grills back when this started (2014) about how well their purchases held up and performed over the last nine years.

I recommended a Weber spirit 3 burner back then - mine at the time was 4 years old. Nine years later it still works the same. Think I replaced the flavorizer bars once or twice in that time, but even the burners have surprisingly held up.

And that’s the lowest end Weber line.

Mine from 2012 is still functional, with some issues, but nothing that's led me to purchase a new one. We use ours 3-4 times/week though, so it's seen a lot of flame.

What do you use a blackstone for that you don’t just do in the kitchen?

Is it just the same thing as having a restaurant-sized kitchen griddle?

We use ours solely for large gatherings. It makes cooking a large breakfast quick and easy. Otherwise, we occasionally use it for home made hibachi. Outside of those two instances, it doesn't get much use.

What do you use a blackstone for that you don’t just do in the kitchen?

Is it just the same thing as having a restaurant-sized kitchen griddle?
I use it just like a regular grill - plus the things it does that a regular one doesn't - like hibachi, breakfast, etc. I am still figuring it out - I got mine free as a promotion from the company that built our patio...

Back