• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New "Sports Performance Center"

DeaconJoe

Reaction score
This was part of an email forwarded to me by a Wake employee:

"Over the next five years, the Wake Will campaign will turn several of our ambitions into reality. We are aggressively pursuing donor support for a major renovation of Scales Fine Arts Center, as well as for Salem, Tribble and Carswell Halls.

As part of the Wake Will campaign, I have spoken about the need to make wellbeing a pivotal component of the Wake Forest experience. Part of this commitment will be realized through the renovation of Reynolds Gym. Conversations with students, faculty, Athletics Department staff and donors, as well as architects and space planners have generated important changes to the initial scope of the project.

Most significantly, the renovated Reynolds Gym will no longer house elements of the Athletics Department and Health and Exercise Science as once planned, allowing more usable space for the health and fitness needs of the total campus population.

To accommodate this change, we will construct a sports performance center for varsity athletes as part of a new facility behind Miller Athletic Center. This new facility will accommodate the year-round training needs of more than 350 student-athletes competing in 16 sports and include space for coaches’ offices and team meeting rooms.

The move of the School of Business into Farrell Hall and plans to renovate Worrell Professional Center allow the Health and Exercise Science Department to take advantage of new academic space in Worrell. In addition to significantly upgrading the conditions for Health and Exercise Science faculty and classes, this move continues the University’s investment in the north part of campus, which, in addition to Farrell Hall, included renovations to the student apartments and Spry Soccer Complex, and completion of our new Magnolia and Dogwood residence halls and a new dining facility."

Well this is good. Can only help recruiting amongst other things.

This was part of an email forwarded to me by a Wake employee:

"Over the next five years, the Wake Will campaign will turn several of our ambitions into reality. We are aggressively pursuing donor support for a major renovation of Scales Fine Arts Center, as well as for Salem, Tribble and Carswell Halls.

What about Winston? Biology/Psychology are the red-headed step children.

What about Winston? Biology/Psychology are the red-headed step children.

Psychology has the nicest space on campus outside of Farrell Hall.

By the way, this is a revision of a plan that was less than a year old, to put the athletics and student fitness facilities both in the remodeled Reynolds Gym.

HES in Worrell is also a weird fit.

It's going to be designed by Tony Bosch of Biogenesis.

Sounds like they are no longer planning to expand the Reynolds Gym footprint onto the area now occupied by the tennis courts. That was the (very expensive) plan to put athletics and student fitness facilities into a remodeled Reynolds Gym proposed over a year ago. It included much more area than the current Reynolds Gym with which we are all familiar. Part of the original reasoning was that by combining athletics and student fitness into one expanded facility, there would be greater camaraderie between the student groups than if the athletes had their own dedicated facility. Sounds like more reasonable heads prevailed.

Good news? Colorado broke ground on a new facility about the time bzz was leaving so they did not have to pay him money for not meeting that contract point.

Sounds like they are no longer planning to expand the Reynolds Gym footprint onto the area now occupied by the tennis courts. That was the (very expensive) plan to put athletics and student fitness facilities into a remodeled Reynolds Gym proposed over a year ago. It included much more area than the current Reynolds Gym with which we are all familiar. Part of the original reasoning was that by combining athletics and student fitness into one expanded facility, there would be greater camaraderie between the student groups than if the athletes had their own dedicated facility. Sounds like more reasonable heads prevailed.

I thought that plan was pretty clunky myself. Expense aside, it seemed weird that the centerpiece of the facility (with how they had it drawn up) was going to be the part of the facility not open to 90% of the student body. I think this is better, but it's just one of those examples of them making plans only to change them a few months later. They did it with the bschool building when they planned to move IT off campus with the vision of connecting the IS Building and Worrell for a united business school. I think that plan changed before IT actually moved, but all the plans were already in place so they went through with it anyway.

The move of the School of Business into Farrell Hall and plans to renovate Worrell Professional Center allow the Health and Exercise Science Department to take advantage of new academic space in Worrell. In addition to significantly upgrading the conditions for Health and Exercise Science faculty and classes, this move continues the University’s investment in the north part of campus, which, in addition to Farrell Hall, included renovations to the student apartments and Spry Soccer Complex, and completion of our new Magnolia and Dogwood residence halls and a new dining facility.

Posted this on the Campus Updates thread on the Pit, but will see if anyone knows anything here too. I thought the Law School was completely taking over Worrell - at least that is how it has been sold to the alumni. I wonder if we're behind on fundraising for the renovation and so they are going to give space to another department and get additional funding that way. Complete speculation on my part.

At least they didn't promise them a renovated building with a lot more space and then pull the bait and switch by moving HES into that renovated space.

To which department did that happen?

It's too bad that science doesn't make jobs that generate tons of money outside of medicine.

I thought that plan was pretty clunky myself. Expense aside, it seemed weird that the centerpiece of the facility (with how they had it drawn up) was going to be the part of the facility not open to 90% of the student body. I think this is better, but it's just one of those examples of them making plans only to change them a few months later. They did it with the bschool building when they planned to move IT off campus with the vision of connecting the IS Building and Worrell for a united business school. I think that plan changed before IT actually moved, but all the plans were already in place so they went through with it anyway.

Completely agree. Weird is a good word. It struck me almost like a display, where they would promote the opportunity to come view the athletes in their natural environment, working hard for the glory of all things Wake Forest. It concerned me that some rather influential folks thought that was a good idea. Glad that part of the plan was scrapped.

To which department did that happen?

It's too bad that science doesn't make jobs that generate tons of money outside of medicine.

Not sure if you're joking or not.

A strong investment in the sciences would pay off in NSF and NIH funding.

Posted this on the Campus Updates thread on the Pit, but will see if anyone knows anything here too. I thought the Law School was completely taking over Worrell - at least that is how it has been sold to the alumni. I wonder if we're behind on fundraising for the renovation and so they are going to give space to another department and get additional funding that way. Complete speculation on my part.

That's the way they sold it to incoming students as well, FWIW. They also took a class of 180 which I thought at the time was in anticipation of having considerably more space.

I guess this clarifies that Wake Will, in fact, impacts the athletic program.

Not sure if you're joking or not.

A strong investment in the sciences would pay off in NSF and NIH funding.

I would guess he's talking about people getting jobs/lots of money that they would be able to donate back to the school for a new building..

Back