• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New "Sports Performance Center"

It's amazing how little space our football team has on campus...especially when you compare it to the golf facility next door. I'm a big gold fan, but it certainly looks silly for our football team to have 1 full field and 2 60 yarders while the golf team has about three times the space.

23vdkwp.png

We have the golf facility thanks to Arnold Palmer.

When they say "behind Miller Center", what do they mean exactly? On top of the practice fields and there are plans to build more practice fields or "bye-bye" Anthropology? Where exactly are they going? Hate to see X-country lose those wonderful trails!! Not to mention it's a great place for the entire campus population to get exercise away from the hot sun and killer heat.

Am familiar with the Strength and Conditioning Facility. Will be built next to the Miller center and have three floors. The bottom floor will be filled by the weight room. All the football offices will be moved here. The facility will encroach on part of the golf complex so some of that will have to be re-located(holes, bunkers, not buildings). We will also have an indoor football practice facility. We need this desperately to keep up with the other facilities in the conference. Currently our facility is only 7000 sq. feet. The average ACC size weight room is 28,000 sq. feet. The facility will cost 35 million. They have raised the majority of it.

Didn't [Redacted] say he took a hammer to a wall at Colorado to force them to make renovations?

I wonder what he'll claim he did to spur this and, more curiously, where he'll be telling it.

eta: I'm sifting through my phone to find the actual quote/source. Unfortunately, results for --- "jeff [Redacted]" & "hammer"--- nets a lot of "(insert team name) hammers (insert [Redacted] coached teams' s name)"

I have stumbled on this quote which would have made FireBz.com if I knew about its existence last year:

"Sometimes it takes you to be the nail and not the hammer to understand." — Colorado coach Jeff [Redacted].

Last edited:
Am familiar with the Strength and Conditioning Facility. Will be built next to the Miller center and have three floors. The bottom floor will be filled by the weight room. All the football offices will be moved here. The facility will encroach on part of the golf complex so some of that will have to be re-located(holes, bunkers, not buildings). We will also have an indoor football practice facility. We need this desperately to keep up with the other facilities in the conference. Currently our facility is only 7000 sq. feet. The average ACC size weight room is 28,000 sq. feet. The facility will cost 35 million. They have raised the majority of it.

For real?

When I'm a bigwig donor I'm going to raze that building to the ground and rebuild the Collins courts.

So news of an indoor football practice facility just got slipped in there with no deets? Can't do that.

Oh, that's not bad at all - basically nothing and certainly nothing that would take away academic space that is needed by the law school. From the pic below, am I correct that the space is the pink "Community Outreach" space? I am having trouble remembering the exact layout of the building.

floor-plan-first.jpg

I am really glad that they are putting a dining room and cafe in the building. Some of us lobbied for that when the building was originally built, but were told it was not needed that the law students could walk to the dining room in Reynolda! Saw that happen at least twice in over 20 years!

Oh, that's not bad at all - basically nothing and certainly nothing that would take away academic space that is needed by the law school. From the pic below, am I correct that the space is the pink "Community Outreach" space? I am having trouble remembering the exact layout of the building.

yep. But from what I understood it was more of a temporary ($$) thing until that plan is built

Wait, is that a practice discus/javelin space just to the right of the third football field/just north of the lefthand side of the golf complex? I had NO idea that existed!

Agree on the discus course. I stared at the photo for a full five mins trying to figure out what that was and whether it was there when I was in school.

Amazing that the anthro museum has survived this long given all the development around it and since I believe they shut down the degree program years ago.

Also agree that golf gets too much real estate, but finding the money for that is easier, I guess.

So I guess if this new building contains an indoor practice facility it can go on top of the existing practice fields with no net loss of space.

There's an anthropology major still, unless you were talking about some other kind of degree.

The guys on our golf team drive it almost three football fields, I don't think they're getting too much real estate.

We could move the Discus field north so that it is next to Piccolo dorm. They should put in a very high fence along that field as well. This would give plenty of room to build the "Ron Wellman Center for Athletic Performance" along the east side of the practice fields. Or they could just build it where the practice fields are now and have a closed practice by closing the doors.

Some of the funds for this new building are being transferred over from the bridger/locker room project. Instead of redoing bridger we are going to adopt the UGA model and build the locker rooms on campus in the new building. Players will suit up there and then ride busses to the stadium dressed and carrying their shoulder pads and helmets. This makes more sense since we use bridger 7 times a year and thats $7 million we can use to build a facility that benefits all athletes.

My understanding is that an indoor practice facility will be built eventually but not right away. The new building will be designed with the practice facility in mind and eventually the two will be connected. This was what I heard in September/October so the plans could've changed since then. I think the indoor practice facility would be built where the thrid practice field is currently (the one closest to the hill). The building will be on that hill where the trees are. The indoor practice facility may not be a full 100 yard facility, but 60 instead due to somewhat limited space and cost.

The majority of this money is coming from Sutton. He donated the money for that combined facility with Reynolds gymnasium. He donated it to the athletic department and not the university. Athletics basically got tired of waiting for the University since originally the building was supposed to have already broken ground. The university put the project on the back burner and in response the AD took Sutton's money and decided to build this dedicated facility instead. Sutton was really only interested in the athletic's side of the building anyway and now this facility will be completely designed with that in mind.

That's the way they sold it to incoming students as well, FWIW. They also took a class of 180 which I thought at the time was in anticipation of having considerably more space.

That's what I was told when I was asked for my donation... I definitely plan to ask about it next time I follow up with the folks, see what is going on.

Edited to reflect the later posts about it being a small usage by HES and possibly temporary. Still, I look forward to hearing from the Law School folks about this and seeing what the details are. On the bright side, Dean Morant was recently appointed to a post by the Chief Justice and was also elected President of the American Assoc. of Law Schools, so good work there.

On topic, I'm interested to find out more details about the facility for athletics. Hope it helps the team and benefits all students, either way!

Last edited:
I am not 100% certain when the throws complex (javelin, discuss, hammer throw) was opened, but I believe its unveiling was near the dedication in 2010 that named the complex after Cliff Neal, the 2002 ACC champion in the hammer throw. Cliff died suddenly in 2004 at the age of 24.

The Wake Forest track & field program has announced that it will name its on-campus throws complex after school-record holder Cliff Neal. A formal ceremony for the naming of The Clifford Irving Neal Throws Complex will take place on Saturday, March 20, as part of the Wake Forest Open.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-track/spec-rel/030810aaa.html

maci8k.jpg

Good information on this thread! The fact that these plans are already in process make Grobe's post-resignation comments seem even more suspicious frankly. More and more I'm leaning towards the belief that it was indeed a forced resignation and Jim's comments are the "sour grapes" excuse-making you would naturally see in the wake of being deposed with no guarantee of a future coaching gig in sight.

Also, as an aside, is it just me or is our 100 yard field in the middle of the 3 really just 95 yards? Seems like one side skips over the 45 yard line. Perhaps this is just a flaw in the picture but if it's a satellite image, they must've had to sacrifice 5 yards to get two end zones. Realizing how limited our space is for football, it certainly seems inadequate for a D-1 program and I can understand Grobe's frustrations. But at the same time, better performance by the staff in terms of recruiting (Jim could have sacrificed some future salary to invest in more recruiting resources at the least) and on the field coaching might have led to better results and therefore accelerated fund-raising for just the things being discussed on this thread.

It's unfortunate how Grobe's tenure ended, but at the end of the day, he's the one who set the bar high for him and his staff and they simply failed to keep the program moving forward with positive results.

Perhaps this is just a flaw in the picture but if it's a satellite image, they must've had to sacrifice 5 yards to get two end zones.

Just a flaw in the stitching between multiple photos. That's the 45 degree photo from Google, so it was definitely taken from a plane, but I'm pretty sure even the 90 degree photos are aerial as well for most of the country. There are only a few places (mostly remote) in the US where you can't zoom in very far because the imagery is satellite rather than more detailed aerial.

Back