• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New "Sports Performance Center"

Completely agree. Weird is a good word. It struck me almost like a display, where they would promote the opportunity to come view the athletes in their natural environment, working hard for the glory of all things Wake Forest. It concerned me that some rather influential folks thought that was a good idea. Glad that part of the plan was scrapped.

wait, aren't they students first? the athlete is just a little something they do on the side. why do they need a special dedicated facility that would, in theory, help them become better athletes/teams, win and attracted top talent? well, not the top top talent. we don't want them...

Posted this on the Campus Updates thread on the Pit, but will see if anyone knows anything here too. I thought the Law School was completely taking over Worrell - at least that is how it has been sold to the alumni. I wonder if we're behind on fundraising for the renovation and so they are going to give space to another department and get additional funding that way. Complete speculation on my part.

You nailed it. From what I understand HES is only using that boardroom space and the MBA's old copy room in the NW corner of the first floor. The extra space is a definite improvement this year

So where's the football team going to practice? Davis field? Reynolda Gardens?

I would guess he's talking about people getting jobs/lots of money that they would be able to donate back to the school for a new building..

That's a long play compared to getting grants. The indirect costs from a few large grants would go a long way at Wake.

You nailed it. From what I understand HES is only using that boardroom space and the MBA's old copy room in the NW corner of the first floor. The extra space is a definite improvement this year

Oh, that's not bad at all - basically nothing and certainly nothing that would take away academic space that is needed by the law school. From the pic below, am I correct that the space is the pink "Community Outreach" space? I am having trouble remembering the exact layout of the building.

floor-plan-first.jpg

That's the way they sold it to incoming students as well, FWIW. They also took a class of 180 which I thought at the time was in anticipation of having considerably more space.

i think they then dialed class sizes back to 160 in response to the general shortage of jobs for their graduates and less applications.

Oh, that's not bad at all - basically nothing and certainly nothing that would take away academic space that is needed by the law school. From the pic below, am I correct that the space is the pink "Community Outreach" space? I am having trouble remembering the exact layout of the building.

floor-plan-first.jpg

That's not as bad as the article made it sound.

I would guess he's talking about people getting jobs/lots of money that they would be able to donate back to the school for a new building..

Not sure if you're joking or not.

A strong investment in the sciences would pay off in NSF and NIH funding.

Correct. Biologists and Psychologists with PhDs don't make tons of money to donate back for new buildings.

I'm confused a bit on all this.

With expansion to Reynolds, what exactly will occupy the old/adjacent tennis stadium ?

Also, sounds like this Performance Center 'in back of Miller' will destroy the current half-size football practice field, correct ?

I'm confused a bit on all this.

With expansion to Reynolds, what exactly will occupy the old/adjacent tennis stadium ?

Also, sounds like this Performance Center 'in back of Miller' will destroy the current half-size football practice field, correct ?

I bet it goes up on the hill above the practice fields, towards Palmer/Piccolo and near the old portion of the golf complex.

It's amazing how little space our football team has on campus...especially when you compare it to the golf facility next door. I'm a big gold fan, but it certainly looks silly for our football team to have 1 full field and 2 60 yarders while the golf team has about three times the space.

23vdkwp.png

It's amazing how little space our football team has on campus...especially when you compare it to the golf facility next door. I'm a big gold fan, but it certainly looks silly for our football team to have 1 full field and 2 60 yarders while the golf team has about three times the space.

A) We're a golf school

B) The Manchester Center/Pruitt Football Center really doesn't utilize that space very well. It should be 3-4 stories.

To be fair, the players on our golf team can all drive the ball 2.5 + football fields in length. 100 yards to them is just a great distance for an approach shot.

Back