• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

News and Observer's Luke DeCock talks about Bzzz

I'm sure it's purely coincidental this came out on the heels of Dan's latest blog.

More free advice for the (seemingly inept) PR team at the Wake AD: spread out your calling in favors. Be crafty about this.

Wonder what athletic department shill spoon fed him that story.

Basketball program was out of control under Gaudio. No one knew about it though because nothing of any note actually happened.

Fire Gaudio and then defend it based on a demonstrably false allegation of sexual assault that was investigated by police w/ no charges filed and a bunch of things that happened...wait for it....after Bzzz became the coach.

Again, usually "broken program" entails

A. A bunch of bad stuff happens with student athletes.
B. AD fires Coach A and brings in Coach B.
C Clean up starts.

Here it was.

A AD fires Coach A and brings in Coach B.
B. A bunch of bad stuff happens with student athletes, some of who were never even in school when Coach A was the coach.
C. All of that bad stuff is blamed on the out of control Coach A.

The one exception is the incident in Miami that all were exonerated. If Wellman had such an issue with that, then why did Gary Clark play at WF the following year.

The story just doesn't add up.

I thought it was a bad hire at worst/puzzling at best and I still don't think he's the long-term answer, but I'm 100% supportive of him getting next year to show what he can do in Year Three. Signficant increase in wins (I don't have a number, but probably a minimum 6 conference wins and few if any blowouts), noticeable player development, solid 2013 recruiting class and a lack of off-court issues should determine if he gets a fourth year.

This is a great piece and I personally wrote the author to congratulate him. This is how we should all approach the situation: with the dispassionate understanding that the program has to be torn down and rebuilt.

The legacy of "big time" basketball left by Skip and Gaudio is one that we need to put behind us. Wake Forest can do better than coddling common criminals for the benefit of a few short-sighted fans.

I used to defend Wellman because of the great things he has brought to our entire athletic program. However, after the constant bashing of Gaudio and the claims that he let the inmates run the asylum, I'm ready to see Wellman go. If Wellman really believed this stuff was Dino's fault, he should have said so at the time of the firing.

Time for some new blood at AD as well as the basketball staff.

This is a great piece and I personally wrote the author to congratulate him. This is how we should all approach the situation: with the dispassionate understanding that the program has to be torn down and rebuilt.

The legacy of "big time" basketball left by Skip and Gaudio is one that we need to put behind us. Wake Forest can do better than coddling common criminals for the benefit of a few short-sighted fans.

That's some hyperbole that would make rjkarl blush.

Not sure how anyone could think that was a shill piece. The author spends the first 40% of the article talking about what a lousy job Bzz has done, spends the next 40% talking about our basketball history while slipping in a couple of weak excuses for Bzz, then again says he's doing a bad job before saying it's just too early to tell. A more accurate title would have been, "Bzz sucks, but things may get better."

Not sure how anyone could think that was a shill piece. The author spends the first 40% of the article talking about what a lousy job Bzz has done, spends the next 40% talking about our basketball history while slipping in a couple of weak excuses for Bzz, then again says he's doing a bad job before saying it's just too early to tell. A more accurate title would have been, "Bzz sucks, but things may get better."

You've got to be fucking kidding me?

Bz did Wellman a favor by taking a job no one else would touch? Out of control program? Blaming Dino for "brushes" and "collisions" with the law all of which actually happened under Bz?

Large segments of it read like a fucking Wake Forest Athletic Department press release - "You guys are stooopid. Our program was broken and bzzz is the man to fix it."

It even tries to tell us that we shouldn't judge the man's job by wins/losses but some nebulous "bad guys exiled from the program standard" while ignoring the fact that almost all of them were exiled for things they did under his watch. He can't connect with them or coach them, so lets ignore the fact that its his job to do so and instead thank the father, the son and the holy wellman that he threw those malcontents out of the program.

Give me a fucking break.

It reads to me like a favor was called in, and DeCock was like ... "ehh" .... and the favor person was like "remember that time????" and DeCock was like "okay, but I'm opening w/ an anecdote of how he actually is so I don't come across as a shill."

There is definitely not any big time basketball in our future.

As others have pointed out, while Gaudio recruited Terrell & Tabb - [Redacted] got them to stay committed after Gaudio was fired and they both went off under his rule, no one elses. If the program was so broken and we saw these recruits as not Wake type recruits - why did we let them in the first place?

Also, the fact that you don't want Wake to play big time basketball is the epitome of LOWF - thanks for nothing.

I, for one, am glad we can all look for a "sympathetic character" to lead the flagship program at wake forest.

It reads to me like a favor was called in, and DeCock was like ... "ehh" .... and the favor person was like "remember that time????" and DeCock was like "okay, but I'm opening w/ an anecdote of how he actually is so I don't come across as a shill."

Exactly. "Rambling soliloquy," "bizarre [Redacted] moments, bad losses and lost hope," "taking timeouts when he would have gotten a television timeout anyway, and he even had to apologize for swearing at a fan at Miami," and He doesn't appear to be getting the most out of a limited team the way Steve Donahue is at Boston College, and he exudes all the bonhomie of a funeral director at work. He's more stat geek than salesman. He's no Odom, no Prosser and no Gaudio" probably aren't quite the lines Ronny would have fed him. Not sure how anyone who read the article can think otherwise.

I will say, however, that, even posed as a hypothetical, the "no one else wanted to touch" line is absurd.

Last edited:
This article makes it seem like Buzz is our Les Robinson even though our issues were not even in the same zip code as State's. When you start saying things like winning isn't important right now you're at the gates of basketball hell where State has been for the last 20 years. For some of us 50 and older it appears the best of Wake basketball is behind us now.

Maybe [Redacted] bailed Wellman out. He's the one who left an NCAA tournament-caliber team and a potential NBA lottery pick behind in Colorado, to preside over a flaming mess no one else wanted to touch. Maybe he's the one doing the friend a favor.

Are you fucking kidding me? Yeah, i'm sure there were no young coaches out there that wanted to coach a program that produced numerous NBA players in the last 15 years, including the best PG since isiah thomas and the best PF of all time. By they way, that flaming mess went to two straight NCAA tournaments and had a top 10 class coming in. If anybody needs to remember the state of the program when dino left, read this article. "Wake Forest is an attractive job, with talent in abundance returning and coming to Winston-Salem, N.C."

Such revisionist bullshit. Fuck you if that article didn't send you into a rage spiral.

Last edited:
I cannot help but conclude that blackgold is a parody. Either that or a Wellman plant. Mods, can y'all confirm this? Even RJ would blush at writing what blackgold writes.

The fix is in. Wellman is calling in all his markers. I was a Deac fan when blackgold was in Pampers. I understand we're stuck with the inept son of a bitch but I don't need the athletic department to force feed this type of shit down my throat.

What I take from this article is that Wellman hired [Redacted] to clean up a broken program that didn't break until after [Redacted] got here. Which...makes no sense whatsoever.

Back