• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Coach in Football and Basketball (Another TL;DR special from your boy)

RangersboysWFBB

Reaction score
Prospective Hires For Both Football and Basketball

The theme for both of these prospective hires should be youth. Where they differ is money we should throw at them.

For Basketball, whatever it takes: it’s our flagship sport and biggest key to national brand-marketing.

However in Football, as many have posted, we’re spending top 10 money on our coach and getting top 100 results. Id rather we spend $500,000 to $1 mil on a young coach to use our program as a stepping stone. Then, offer him big bucks when he proves himself, if he declines, offer his best assistant, if they both leave, rinse and repeat over and over again until we get our guy.

Also, I think we should be looking at young offensive minded and innovative guys for our Football coach. If I’m Texas or USC, give me the best overall coach with a defensive background in the country i.e. Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson, coordinator Kirby Smart etc. Those schools are naturally positioned to recruit the rare but coveted top notch elite Oline-men and Dline-men from every class, grab a dynamic qb in the process, run a slow and methodical pro style offense, and physically beat you into submission.

Wake will never be able to do that on a consistent basis (still don’t know how Grobe built that D for 3 years). This is why I’m suggesting we need to be on the look out for the next June Jones, Art briles, Kliff Kingsbury, or his original, Kevin Sumlin circa 2007. Every school can get skill position players, and we need an innovator who knows how to maximize that (I think that awkward option crap you saw on friday was them realizing that). Yes it will be gimmicky, but I think that it will not only be fun to watch, but sustainable.

4 young prospective coaches for Football

1. Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Todd Monken

2. Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris

3. Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman

4. Louisiana-Lafayette coach Mark Hudspeth (44 oldest on list but a school like Wake would be his natural progression.)

All of these guys are young (in fact too young right now to get a serious call from premiere teams) but young enough to infuse some energy and hope into a program like ours ( see Kliff at Tech). Also, all of these guys are in charge of dynamic offenses and are apart of their respective schools recruiting processes. I could be way off on where I am going with these, so please do add on to the list, or offer alternative solutions. Below are my suggestions for B-ball.

My Super 7 Prospective Coaches in Basketball

1. Andy Toole: Robert Morris
Looks like a younger cooler version of Bz with an actual resume of winning in college athletics. Also I hear kids don’t hate him.

2. Tommy Ammaker: harvard
This one is really intriguing to me. Ammaker being a dookie doesn’t dissuade me but actually persuades me. That’s because Ammaker being a dookie won’t bother dookies until Wake has become a consistent national problem for dookie. That means were recruiting well-possibly stealing recruits, winning games- hopefully a final four appearance or dare I say a national championship, and dookies have finally woken up to realize that the 90 year old Christopher Melloni look a-like should step down and pass the torch. If it ever got to the point that Dookie demanded Ammaker from us, then awesome. That means he’d be leaving our program like Roy left Kansas. I’ll take it.

3. Larry Eustachy: Southern miss
I don’t give a damn about your culture. If he wants the job pull the trigger and give him an open invite to every frat on campus. My only issue with him is he is 57. But youth is more than just a number and he appears to have a lot of fire in his belly and party’s like a 22 year old (often with them). Plus, I don’t think he needs a lot of time to turn this thing around and I think we could get a solid 10 to 15 years out of him.

4. Gregg Marshall: Wichita State
Again, pull the trigger. He’s 7 years younger than Larry

5. Anthony Grant : Alabama
Runner up in the NIT, Returning best team he’s ever had, sits in a power conference, and recruits at a school that just learned about Bball. He’s done it at VCU and I believe he’s doing it at Alabama. I think if he was recruiting at a school where Bball was #1, with our history, in our conference, we would wreck shop.

6. Michael White: La Tech
Only 36 with 2 years experience but He had La Tech in the NIT and I think he would have destroyed our deacs last year. Don’t know how he recruits.

7. Shaka Smart: VCU
I still think with the right amount of money this is doable. Especially since his conference is in no man’s land and his ivory doppelganger and favorite coaching bro just bolted for the Celts. Chip Kelly told everybody no once too. Maybe this is the right time, money and opportunity for him. He can take over a program that is in the dumps, but that will return a solid incredibly large core of jr.’s with 1 super soph.

Closing Question: I know that Grobe's salary is public, but does anyone have any idea how much Bz makes?

Last edited:
Bz is right around $1M.

Give me Shaka, Marshall, White or Toole, in that order.

Bob Stitt from the Colorado School of Mines is who I want for football.

Bz is right around $1M.

Give me Shaka, Marshall, White or Toole, in that order.

That means with BZ off the books, presumably Dino off the Books, a reduction in salary allocated to our Football coach, we could afford to triple what any of these guys are being paid now and not break a sweat.

We have also seen a huge increase in TV revenue without a corresponding increase in fixed expenses.

Bob Stitt from the Colorado School of Mines is who I want for football.

Just had to make sure this was a real person and his OC wasn't Mike Hunt.

You've got Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana Tech on there; might as well add Louisiana-Monroe, in case we get throttled this weekend and just ask their staff to stay around for the rest of the season.

these lists are ridiculous. we all know who we need.

Pearl for Bball, and Petrino for football.

#BobbyP4HC

#PutPearlInWS

I was the first person here on Toole so I'm sticking with him. He would be a great hire.

Can't deal with a dookie running the Wake show. That would be a hideous rebuttal to Bzzzz.

Todd Monken is no longer at Ok State, he is head coach at Southern Miss.
Larry Eustachy is no longer at Southern Miss, he is HC at Colorado State.

I've got news for you. Anthony Grant is not "getting it done" at Alabama. His record is unimpressive, and he's now officially on the hot seat.

2009–2010 Alabama 17–15 6–10 T–4th (West)
2010–2011 Alabama 25–12 12–4 1st (West) NIT Runner–up
2011–2012 Alabama 21–12 9–7 5th NCAA 2nd Round
2012–2013 Alabama 23-13 12-6 T-2nd NIT Quarterfinals

Somehow the above gets you on the hot seat at Alabama, yet the below gets you comfort at fucking Wake Forest

2010–11 Wake Forest 8–24 1–15 12th
2011–12 Wake Forest 13–18 4–12 T-12th
2012–13 Wake Forest 13–18 6–12 T-9th

Agree Grant's record has been disappointing. Not really sure what the extenuating circumstances were. Gottfried's last few years weren't very good and one would imagine he left the program in some disarray. Regardless, Grant would be a clear upgrade, and I would have confidence that he would at least build a sustainable foundation for us. Recruiting at Alabama and in the SEC has got to be hard..but then you get to play a SEC schedule so it kind of balances out.

7. Shaka Smart: VCU
I still think with the right amount of money this is doable.

"The deal will go through 2023 and will pay him approximately $1.5 million per year, up from the $1.2 million he'd been making."

So.. we'd have to top that along with cases of lysol to sanitize everything Bz touched.

Back