• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Coach in Football and Basketball (Another TL;DR special from your boy)

I'm all in on Orlando Antigua from Kentucky for basketball.

In football, give me either Stanford's DC Derek Mason or Michigan State's DC Pat Narduzzi.

I met Antigua on his recruiting visit to Wake in the fall of 1990- he was with Marc Blucas and it was halloween and they were wearing frankenstein masks.

I've got news for you. Anthony Grant is not "getting it done" at Alabama. His record is unimpressive, and he's now officially on the hot seat.

Even though this is true - Grant would be a better culture fit at Wake vs 'bama. He played at the University of Dayton under Don Donoher - very successful coach who got the most out of his under-talented teams. I think a smaller, more academic school would be a better fit for Grant. I believe he would do really well at Wake.

Grant has 3 straight 20 win seasons and conference winning records at Alabama. That's solid.

As long as Wellman is AD, WF will never hire a youngish assistant as head coach. Since the Jim Caldwell failure, every Wellman hire or candidate (Grobe, Rich Brooks, Mackovic, Skip, Bz, Tubby) has been an older established head coach. While I hate that Wellman has limited the scope of his search, look for Wellman to target an older coach that is closer to the end of his coaching career than the beginning.

very true and also means we will be paying significantly more

Capel is an interesting candidate to me. He obviously fizzled at OU in his last couple years but still had an impressive 96-69 5 year record. He initially built the VCU program. Good recruiter. Seasoned for a younger coach (under 40 w/ 9 years exp as HC). Plus he would likely bring Mark Cline as an asst.

OK was paying Capel 1.5 mil and unless he's being groomed for K's departure (Collins or Wojo imo), I think he would be interested. He knows the challenges of WF but also knows the potential.

Do you think Tom Walter represents a change in philosophy or another reason for Wellman to be gun shy?

Only a little. Walter had been a head baseball coach at two programs prior to coming to WF; also, as intimated, to the extent that the Walter hire is seen as Wellman willing to hire a younger coach, the jury is still out on whether it was a good hire.

Given his midwest roots, if WF were to look for a football coach, would guess that Wellman would again hire the best available head coach in the MAC conference (which was State's and Purdue's move last year). Currently, that would be either the coach of Ball State (Lembo 43), Bowling Green (Clawson 46), Ohio (Solich 69 - yipes) or Toledo (Campbell 33 - probably too young).

As long as Wellman is AD, WF will never hire a youngish assistant as head coach. Since the Jim Caldwell failure, every Wellman hire or candidate (Grobe, Rich Brooks, Mackovic, Skip, Bz, Tubby) has been an older established head coach. While I hate that Wellman has limited the scope of his search, look for Wellman to target an older coach that is closer to the end of his coaching career than the beginning.

Wellman will not be hiring our next football and basketball coaches

I seem to recall that one or both of the capels were ball boys at Wake, but there was some issue with the Father not being kept as an asst or something like that, that caused some bad blood. (at least with the father, seems he shared some views in Fayettville). Anyone else remember that?

I seem to recall that one or both of the capels were ball boys at Wake, but there was some issue with the Father not being kept as an asst or something like that, that caused some bad blood. (at least with the father, seems he shared some views in Fayettville). Anyone else remember that?

Don't recall any issues but that was during the Staak regime......doubt there is anyone left from that era to hold a grudge against.

Come back to your roots Jeff (on Muggsy's left below)

mpeJuDnx7--eHa5TDhwhldQ.jpg

Last edited:
John Currie for AD - and call it three decades.

They were, but neither can coach. They would be terrible choices.

We have to go big or go home in basketball.

We could save a lot too with a new AD. I think Wellman makes close to a million a year. Does anyone know how AD contracts work? Could we fire him and not have to pay the asshole for years?

We could save a lot too with a new AD. I think Wellman makes close to a million a year. Does anyone know how AD contracts work? Could we fire him and not have to pay the asshole for years?

I would think it's probably year to year.

Back on 9/13 Deaconsig recommended Danny Rocco, currently at Richmond.

I just read his full bio on the UR site and on paper, I sincerely doubt there's a better, more suited candidate to take over Wake football....and he's a former Deac !

I'm not sure a wake guy is the answer. LOWF is a lifelong condition - kind of like herpes. We need some outsiders to shake things up and end decades of pussydom...

Back