• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Coach...rumors on the ground.

I've heard from multiple sources now that we are going to hire someone who is currently a head coach, and that he process is going to be relatively quick.

I've heard from multiple sources now that we are going to hire someone who is currently a head coach, and that he process is going to be relatively quick.

I really have a feeling like if it isn't Lembo I'm going to be shocked, but since Wellman is doing the hiring I'm preparing to be shocked.

I've heard the same. Also IIRC, it was mentioned in one of the ESPN/CBS articles that we were only interested in someone with HC experience. Hard to remember which one though, I've read so damn many the past two days.

I'm cool w/ Lembo. Corch Lembo, do the Lembo, Lembo FIRST BLOOD.

Good things, helluva lot better than Bzz

If they are looking at assistants at all, I'll throw out a name.

Mike Bobo. Hugely successful offensive coordinator at an SEC school. Amazing recruiter. Former winning SEC QB.

Georgia people have a love/hate relationship w/ the guy but I think he'd be awesome for Wake. Young, brash, confident.

UGA fans have a love/hate relationship with their DC as well. If your name isn't Erk Russell, you can't be a beloved assistant in Athens.

UGA fans have a love/hate relationship with their DC as well. If your name isn't Erk Russell, you can't be a beloved assistant in Athens.

Nooooo, that's allll hate.

People liked the guy before Willie Martinez.

Heard the exact same thing. It was around a two week time frame hiring Grobe. I look for it to be a few days quicker.

Assuming the new coach is involved in an upcoming bowl game, I wouldn't expect an announcement until a few days after the game. Grobe was not bowl bound. That being said, I would not be surprised to see Wellman introducing someone who has no bowl commitment...unfortunately.

I had a dream (nightmare!) last night that I woke up this morning to the announcement that Ron Wellman had hired Frank Solich. I wasn't until I checked his Wikipedia page a couple of minutes ago (to see if the guy was still alive and coaching) that I realized that he was currently at Ohio University.

Assuming the new coach is involved in an upcoming bowl game, I wouldn't expect an announcement until a few days after the game. Grobe was not bowl bound. That being said, I would not be surprised to see Wellman introducing someone who has no bowl commitment...unfortunately.

That's not generally how it works. Doreen, for example was hired by State and left before Northern Illinois played in the Orange Bowl. Same for Fedora and Southern Miss.

Coaches are generally hired during the 2-3 weeks after the regular season ends. If we don't have a coach by a week from now, we have problems.

That's not generally how it works. Doreen, for example was hired by State and left before Northern Illinois played in the Orange Bowl. Same for Fedora and Southern Miss.

Coaches are generally hired during the 2-3 weeks after the regular season ends. If we don't have a coach by a week from now, we have problems.

Given that usually there is at least a few weeks between a team's last regular season game and their bowl game, a team that is interested in their coach usually isn't willing to wait that long. It very important to get the new coach and staff in here, so they can work on retaining or even re-recruiting the current class.

Given that usually there is at least a few weeks between a team's last regular season game and their bowl game, a team that is interested in their coach usually isn't willing to wait that long. It very important to get the new coach and staff in here, so they can work on retaining or even re-recruiting the current class.

Exactly. There is a dead period that starts Dec. 15th. Getting the new coach hired in the next couple of days gives the new staff a week or so to visit commits and the two kids who just opened up their commitment after Grobe resigned.

I really have a feeling like if it isn't Lembo I'm going to be shocked, but since Wellman is doing the hiring I'm preparing to be shocked.

Is this like one of the star trek space time loops. I'm prepared to be shocked, but if I'm prepared, I can't be shocked, but i expect to be shocked, so I wasn't prepared, but I knew that I would be shocked, so I was prepared.

Understood and agreed. But I'm just factoring in my feeble understanding of the new Wake culture (New Wellman Order).

WF had better hope they get a coach signed before the bowl games start if they want to have any chance to save and/or bring recruits. It's not an amazing class but still WF needs some new players this year. The dead period starts Dec. 16 and goes to Jan. 15, which leaves a little over two weeks for the new coach to meet existing recruits and any possible late new ones in person before signing day on Feb. 5. Granted phone/letters are allowed almost year round but relying on only phone calls for all contact (and players not being allowed to visit campus) makes it difficult for a new coach.

Also, either of the following will have happened in your scenario:
1. WF chooses a coach but delays making it public until after the coach's bowl game, OR
2. WF will still be evaluating options during the bowl games.

Option 2 is potentially disastrous for WF since the school runs a decent risk of another team coming along and taking a coach they like. Furthermore, more vacancies may open up once teams finish their seasons so more competition will likely occur the later you wait (including potential domino affects like Texas). Lembo, who is popular around here, is a popular option for UConn people as well. Option 1 is not really beneficial to the coach since they'll have to balance bowl prep/coaching with trying to minimize their commitment to WF. It's disingenuous to his former school to masquerade around like everything is normal since the pending job move will be on his mind no matter what. It's very tough for coaches to be committed to a new school while still at their former school.

Last edited:
Back